Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Speaking from the Dais :: Official .:|:. The Headmistress's Sanctum
It is currently 29 Mar 2017, 14:20

Post subject: Ah, I love the smell of cliqueyness in the morning...
PostPosted: 08 May 2006, 15:09 
The Squeen
The Squeen

So… cliqueyness, eh? See how we return, once again, to this old chestnut. Before I start, I'd like to point out that though this post was prompted in part by the discussion about the possibility of a chat room, it isn't particularly directed at any of those expressing their opinions.

The issue of ‘cliqueyness’ (and I’m rather unsure how those who complain of it are defining it, but as far as I can tell ‘cliquey’ seems to have become synonymous with ‘having friends on the board’) has been raised from time to time for a while now and, quite frankly, I’ve got more than a little sick of it. And I feel the time has come for some changes.

Essentially, the only way to eradicate any and all charges of cliqueyness is either to ensure that every member posts on every thread, or that any kind of conversation is forbidden. Either is ridiculous. People have commented a lot about how the community atmosphere of the CBB has already gone, and that is rather a shame. Furthermore, a good deal of the perception of cliqueyness comes from other media such as MSN and LJ, and there is nothing I can do to control this anyway. We have tried to make the board as un-cliquey as possible, but since people are clearly still dissatisfied, I have reached the point of failing to see why other people should have their enjoyment of the board curtailed for the sake of those who will never be content.

So, I am going to say that people on the board (in the appropriate areas, of course), should feel free to talk about and make reference to things that they might otherwise not have done for fear of being perceived as ‘cliquey’. The board is an open site (other than, obviously, the forums which are restricted for other reasons) and all members, and, indeed non-members, are free to participate to the same extent. Join in or don’t join in, as the spirit takes you, but if you don’t make the effort, don’t complain that nobody is making it for you.

I realise that this is a somewhat controversial attitude to take, and certainly is something of a change from the official approach this board has taken in the past. However, I hope you will understand that it is not an attempt to legitimise some ‘clique’ or other, or promote exclusivity on the board, but an effort to return the board to its friendlier, more community-based past, where we acknowledged our relationships with other members. Pretending that there aren’t friendship groups on the board, as we seem to be doing at the moment, is absurd and, to be honest, futile; it deceives no-one. I’m not saying that we only speak to our friends, or spurn those we don’t know – that has never been the case on the CBB, and I certainly do not intend for it to start now.

Basically, I think we need to stop behaving like children in a playground, and start behaving like the adults we (most of us) are.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Speaking from the Dais :: Official .:|:. The Headmistress's Sanctum
It is currently 29 Mar 2017, 14:20