Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Speaking from the Dais :: Official .:|:. The Headmistress's Sanctum
It is currently 29 Apr 2017, 20:31

Post subject: The Anti-Soppist Society - a request for sense!
PostPosted: 03 May 2010, 12:45 
Sheepdogging a new girl
Sheepdogging a new girl

Quote:
"My friends," she began impressively, "we are gathered together today to protest against- against a lot of silly rot, and to form ourselves into a league for our own protection - in case we get like those idiots, you see."

"We never should," objected Jean.

"Well, Mabs Hunter's mother says all girls do, and if that's the case we can't be too careful. My friends," resumed Erica, "I propose that we call ourselves the Anti-Soppist Society."

"Hear! hear!" responded Pamela, thumping on the hard earthen floor with the remains of an old cricket stump.

"A jolly good idea!" agreed Dimsie.

"I have with me here," proceeded Erica, waving a sheet of paper, "the rules of our society, my friends..."

The CBB has always had a reputation for extreme niceness in the face of internet fandom (a crazed beast). We try to be nice to each other, and build a sympathetic and close-knit community, and that's very admirable. Unfortunately, increasingly the CBB has a reputation for being nauseatingly sentimental (though with less in the way of gathering posies for moderators and trying to sneak a lock of Liss's hair to put under one's pillow - although that would be interesting to watch people try*). I'm afraid this is putting off new members and old members alike.

No-one wants the members of the board to suddenly start being rude to one another (we must, after all, always remember What Miss Annersley Would Say!), but I think we would all benefit from a reduction in florid prose and emotional outpourings. (Think, if nothing else, of the dubious eyebrow Miss Wilson would raise if confronted with your effusion.)

This isn't a request for anyone to stop posting, or to post less, or to exile themselves to the loneliest corner of the board; it's merely a request for people to be sensible in what they write and to think twice before posting.

* A joke. Please don't stalk Liss.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Speaking from the Dais :: Official .:|:. The Headmistress's Sanctum
It is currently 29 Apr 2017, 20:31