Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Joey's Trunk
It is currently 24 Sep 2017, 09:35

Post subject: Corney
PostPosted: 11 Nov 2015, 19:30 
Getting into trouble with Mlle Berne

I was just curious, do we get to see Corney and her family at all in the Swiss years? She's in Reunion, does she pop up at any point after that?

Book blog: https://GiltAndDust.WordPress.com

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Corney
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2015, 10:28 
Coming top in the form
Coming top in the form

She's mentioned but not seen throughout the Swiss years. Her eldest daughter is named Terry (short for Theresa) and her second daughter is named Meg (short for Margaret). I have a vague idea Terry is around Cecil's or Majorie Burns age but could be completely wrong. JS or KB or Jennifer would probably know Terry and Meg's ages

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2015, 19:59 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Meg was born before Joey & Co, because she was mentioned when the perennial topic of "shorts" for Margaret came up, in connection with the Rosomons.

Meg was short for Margaret Josephine. Why did everyone name their kids after Madge and Joey?! I can understand Cornelia naming one of her daughters after Mlle Lepattre, who'd "mothered" her, but why Madge and Joey rather than one of her own family, one of her husband's family, or one of her close friends like Evadne?

Corney doesn't appear in any of the Swiss books other than Reunion, AFAIK.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2015, 20:35 

Thanks.

Now I just need to see if I can work out when the children were born. I didn't realise Terry was as old as that. Is there just the two children? Is there any mention of Corney being in Switzerland at all even if it is of screen?

Book blog: https://GiltAndDust.WordPress.com

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2015, 21:42 
Dashing off for your part in the play

I've looked up Corney in the Encyclopeadia:

In Coming of Age, she's living in Everett, a suburb of Boston with her husband and two children - Therese (no age given) and Margaret Josephine who's two months old. She's looking after the three Pertwees. She's also donated £10,000 to the chapel fund.

She's still looking after the Pertwees in Trials and "keeping an eye" on them in Summer Term.

Terry and Meg have their own encyclopaedia entries but no age is given for Terry. Meg would be a similar age to Lois Graves who is born on the Coming of Age weekend.

Last edited by JB on 18 Nov 2015, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2015, 21:44 
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress

JB beat me to it. :P I'll just add that Corney gets married in Peggy, so Terry could have been born any time between (roughly) Wrong and New Mistress.

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2015, 22:55 
Despairing over Geometry
Despairing over Geometry

Alison H wrote:
Meg was short for Margaret Josephine. Why did everyone name their kids after Madge and Joey?!
Can't account for Joey, but Margaret does seem to be a favourite name of EMBD's. I suppose part of the reason she uses it for Madge Bettany (and her mother) in the first place may be her apparent admiration for Sir/ St Thomas More, after whose daughter Margaret Roper she named her school, after all. She seems to think he was unusual in the 16th century for educating his daughters as well as his son (I wouldn't have thought it was that unusual among the upper classes at that date, but there...) and there are references to Thomas More and his family in some of the books.

Elinor also had at least one friend Madge, who may well also have been Margaret, and appears in several of the CS book dedications:
Jo of the Chalet School: Dedicated to Madge with love and all good wishes
The Princess of the CS: To Madge with love E B-D
possibly Jo Returns to the CS: M from E
Changes for the CS: To Madge Halliwell with whom I shared the trip the Seniors took with love from Elinor

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2015, 09:41 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

Meg is two months old in Reunion, and is the younger of the two.

Cornelia is engaged in Peggy, to be married that October. Assuming conception after marriage :D and a full term birth, the earliest Terry could have been born is July the following year. That would make her just three during the reunion.

The absolute latest she could have been born is the August before Reunion, which would make her almost a year at that point - but having two kids nine months apart is pretty unlikely.

So she's probably born sometime between when the school opens in Switzerland in Barbara, and Genius.

Cornelia only gets brief mentions after her appearance in Reunion, mostly in the context of being the guardian of the Pertwee girls. There are no other kids mentioned. In Reunion she says that the kids are with their father and "Not that they are babies now,", which implies that she still has only two at that point. So she could fit in one more kid (or multiple) before the end of the series, but no more.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2015, 13:46 

jennifer wrote:
Cornelia is engaged in Peggy, to be married that October. Assuming conception after marriage :D and a full term birth, the earliest Terry could have been born is July the following year. That would make her just three during the reunion.

I don't understand your maths here. Assuming that Terry is born in the July after Peggy, I work it out as:

Wrong - born
Changes - 1st birthday
Kenya - 2nd birthday
Problem - 3rd birthday
Coming of Age - 4th birthday

This would make her 4 at the end of the summer term of Coming of Age if she were born 9 months after Corney's wedding.

We are talking about Coming of Age rather than Reunion, aren't we?

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Joey's Trunk
It is currently 24 Sep 2017, 09:35