Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Joey's Trunk
It is currently 18 Jun 2018, 00:46

Post subject: Nells cottage / Rosalie's age
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2018, 17:40 
Buying your school uniform

Couple of quick questions....

Do any of the books give the location of Nell (Wilson)'s cottage? I have the New Forest in my head, but I think I'm getting that confused with Pretty Maids, which was Mollie Maynard's place, if I remember correctly (probably not!).

Am just wondering for the purposes of a drabble, and if the books aren't specific, then it's going to be in Dorset!

Also, what would Rosalie Dene's age be in relation to Hilda? I know she was a pupil at the school, so am guessing she's younger, but are there any rough ideas? I only own four CS books these days and they're all Swiss ones. Am also guessing Rosalie and Gill Culver would be of a similar age?

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Nells cottage / Rosalie's age
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2018, 18:07 
Indulging in a midnight feast
Indulging in a midnight feast

Nell's cottage is in Dartmoor (mentioned in Lavender). She gives her age as thirty in New, and I may be wrong but I think Miss Annersley is a couple of years older? Rosalie is two years older than Jo so she'd be around twenty at the time of New, so I'd say she's about twelve years younger than Miss Annersley. Gill Culver is fifteen in Gay when Rosalie would be in her mid twenties, so about ten years of a difference.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2018, 07:23 
Taking Lower IV A for Prep

Miss Annersley's age isn't as clearly stated as Miss Wilson or Miss Stewart, but she is described as having been a middle twenty years or so prior to Jo Returns. She has been teaching for twenty-seven years in Carola, and is mentioned as being some years older than Mollie Bettany in Bride (Mollie is mentioned as being thirty-six in Bride). It is mentioned in Challenge that she was barely thirty when she became headmistress (which happens in New CS). Clearly some of those things don't work with others (there is almost fifteen years between New CS and Bride, for instance, so clearly she was either a lot older than Mollie or something is awry.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2018, 13:17 

Great, thank you. I think it's mentioned somewhere that Hilda was born in 1904 (possibly a post where someone's compiled birthdays of characters?), and I had it in mind that Nell was maybe two or three years older, having been at the school before Hilda gets there, and due to the surprise that Hilda was made head and not Nell (presuming because she was younger / hadn't been there as long).

The Gill / Rosalie ages work out nicely for the drabble, and Nell's cottage can easily be moved to Dartmoor as well!

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2018, 13:45 

It all depends so much on how you date the books. Do you start from 1925 when School At is published? Date by Exile? Date by Carola? Try to work out how long the gaps are? etc. It is the perpetual argument and there are explanations for and against all sides.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2018, 15:09 
Still bored
Still bored

That tidbit in Carola about Hilda having taught for 27 years was always EBD losing the plot in my mind, having a senior moment - of which there are far too many! Hilda couldn't have been that old then, or she would have been born way back in the 19th century - and been too old to still be there at the end of the series! I've always stuck with her birth year as 1904

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2018, 15:48 
Being taken down a peg or two
Being taken down a peg or two

I always imagine she was the same age as Madge. If she is 30 in New when she becomes Head, Jo is 18 so Madge also 30.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2018, 15:51 
Lamenting the amount of work
Lamenting the amount of work

You notice, too, that after Carola (thanks for flagging that one up, Mary!) EMBD never again makes the mistake of giving us such very specific dates - we get Carola's day, month and year of birth in that one, too.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2018, 18:46 

Yes, I'd always thought that Hilda and Madge were more or less the same age - I got that impression from the books, anyway.

I guess because we do know when the trips were born, then you can roughly age everyone else around them, but the EBDisms do give one a bit of leeway, which is helpful!

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Joey's Trunk
It is currently 18 Jun 2018, 00:46