Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Joey's Trunk
It is currently 23 Jun 2018, 01:22

Post subject: The Fohn
PostPosted: 28 May 2018, 19:58 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Please could someone remind me which of the Tyrol books it is that mentions the Fohn? I've just come across a glorious description of it, in a rather melodramatic book, as bringing "restlessness, neurasthenia, emotional fragility: a collective PMS" :roll: ! Presumably it's one of the summer books, but I can't just think which.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

Post subject: Re: The Fohn
PostPosted: 28 May 2018, 21:21 
Lamenting the amount of work

I can't remember which book, but having experienced it, I would go along with all of that!

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 May 2018, 09:07 
Taking Lower IV A for Prep

It's not an Austrian book at all, but rather a Swiss one - New Mistress: That will come next term when the spring's behind the door and the Fohn blows and there are scatters of light new snow. This isn't avalanche time, my child."

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 May 2018, 12:20 

Thank you - I knew it was mentioned somewhere :D .

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 May 2018, 12:24 

Just to be pedantic, the o has dots on so that it is Föhn - which is also the German for hairdryer. Dots can be replaced by oe if none available on the keyboard :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 May 2018, 21:35 
Being rescued by Dr Ackles
Being rescued by Dr Ackles

I'm sure there's a book when they do get very 'crotchety' due to the Föhn as well - unless I have mistaken another author.

My keyboard autocorrects to Föhn which is impressive.

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 May 2018, 21:41 

I think I remember a reference in one of the Tyrol books, as well, but I don't know which one :roll: .

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 May 2018, 21:51 
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

I thought so too but I've searched and I can't find one, although there are several Fohn references in Swiss books.

Are we thinking of this from Jo Of?

Quote:
Almost on the words the door opened, and Mademoiselle came in. ‘Simone, why do you then cr-r-r-y?’ she asked dramatically.

‘Je n’en said rien!’ sobbed Simone.

‘In English, if you please.’

Simone gulped noisily, and then wailed. ‘I do not know!’
‘It’s the spring,’ said Miss Durrant, who had been standing behind her, an interested spectator of all this. ‘She ought to have some sulphur or something, to cool her down a little.’

At this lively prospect Simone literally howled, bringing Miss Bettany to the spot. She gave the French child short shrift. ‘Off to bed with you!’ she said. ‘A dose of salts will put you right. —Come here, you others. Joey, let me see your tongue.’

Joey obligingly hung it out as far as it would go, and Margia followed her example. Miss Bettany promptly decided to dose them all round, and went off to superintend the mixing of a big jorum of sulphur, lemon juice, tartaric acid, and one or two other items. At seven o’clock the next morning she made the round of the dormitories, and saw to it herself that every girl took her dose.

‘Filthy muck!’ was Joey’s verdict—unfortunately for her, overheard by Miss Maynard, who promptly awarded her with the whole of ‘Lycidas’ to be repeated before Saturday, on pain of losing the Saturday expedition. The middles, as Juliet later remarked to Gisela, were meeting the rewards for all their sins at once.

Mercifully, nothing else occurred during that day. Whether the Head’s ‘spring medicine’ had anything to do with it or not, no one could say; but the fact remains that they reached bedtime without any other explosions beyond the usual trials of badly-prepared work.

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 May 2018, 22:09 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

Alison H wrote:
I think I remember a reference in one of the Tyrol books, as well, but I don't know which one :roll: .

I think I remember seeing a reference somewhere, and I haven't read New Mistress - or many other Swiss books come to that - which makes me think it must be a Tirol book.

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 May 2018, 22:21 

Maybe it is that bit in Jo of. It's really annoying me now :lol: .

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 May 2018, 23:30 
Indulging in a midnight feast
Indulging in a midnight feast

Found a mention of it in Trials:

Quote:
“Well, we must ask him when we return. Meantime, let us toboggan. And remember, all: no screaming! I see no cornice very near nor overhanging this part, but we have had new snow, and today is certainly warm. I hear we shall have the Föhn here by tomorrow. Still, as we return to the Platz tomorrow, that need not trouble us.”
“If they get it here, we’ll have it with us,” Hilary pointed out. “I hate the Föhn. It makes you so sticky and—and heavy! Still, we’ll have had our holiday, so it won’t matter quite so much.”

It also features in Excitements and causes everyone to be on edge (Chapter 9: The Staff Create A Sensation).

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 May 2018, 09:26 

There are a couple of mentions I missed:

Does It Again
Quote:
I say, Auntie Jo, you’ve lived in the Alps before. What sort of weather are we to expect in early April?”

“Depends largely on the Föhn, I imagine,” Jo said, leaning back in her chair. “The warm wind that blows from the south around then, you know. If it comes early, look out for a thaw—oh, and avalanches, just to make everything pleasant.”

Excitements
Quote:
The rest fully agreed with her and then Elinor turned back to the Subject of the weather. “I hate the Föhn myself. Quite apart from the fact that it upsets everybody and makes them appallingly irritable, it ruins the snow. Our fun is ended—for the time being, at any rate.”

“Yes; but only for the time being. This is still February,” Mary-Lou reminded her. “We’ll get more frost and snow presently. That’s what always happens when the Föhn begins to blow as early as this.”

Lesley Malcolm looked up from Rosamund Lilley’s autograph album in which she was painting a charming cluster of gentians and other alpine flowers—from memory since all the flowers were still buried deep under the snow. “I don’t like it for that reason, but still more because of a much more serious reason—avalanches! You know what happens when the Föhn begins to blow at all steadily. It softens the snow which falls from its own weight and brings down trees and boulders with it and it can cause such awful damage. It isn’t likely to affect us hereabouts, of course. We aren’t given to bad avalanches here and the pines grow thickly and scatter the wretched things, anyhow. But other places aren’t so lucky.”

Leader
Quote:
She was feeling deeply injured at having to miss the Evening. She was also, like everyone else, suffering from the effects of the Föhn which had followed on the snow-storm. (This is a warm wind which blows in from the Mediterranean.) It usually affects people badly, making them feel sticky and prickly. To make matters worse, it began a partial thaw, with the result that there was no going out until that was over. Girls and Staff alike were affected. The latter seemed to have been never so hard to please, and the former, so their mistresses complained, had never been so tiresome.

And also in New Mistress as I mentioned above, and Trials which Aquabird quoted. The Jo of quote may well refer to it, but never does so by name.

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 May 2018, 11:50 

Thanks, everyone :D . I think it must've been Jo of I was thinking of - all that talk about the weather putting everyone in a bad mood sounded like what the book I was reading was getting at!

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Joey's Trunk
It is currently 23 Jun 2018, 01:22