It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 19:15

Post subject: List of Fictional Books in EBD's canon
PostPosted: 26 Aug 2013, 21:27 
Arguing with your guardian

Found this nice list at http://everything.explained.at/List_of_fictional_books/

Quote:
In the Chalet School series:

In A Future Chalet School Girl: Mystery at Heron Lake by Josephine M. Bettany
In Althea Joins the Chalet School: The Secret of Castle Dancing by Josephine M. Bettany
In Carola Storms the Chalet School: The Rose Patrol in the Alps by Josephine M. Bettany
In The Chalet School Goes To It: Gipsy Jocelyn by Josephine M. Bettany
In Gay from China at the Chalet School: Indian Holiday and Nancy Meets a Nazi by Josephine M. Bettany
In Jo Returns to the Chalet School: Cecily Holds the Fort and Malvina Wins Through by Josephine M. Bettany
In Joey Goes to Oberland: Audrey Wins the Trick and Dora of the Lower Fifth by Josephine M. Bettany
In Lavender Laughs at the Chalet School: Lavender Laughs in Brazil: Lavender Laughs in Cyprus: Lavender Laughs in Libya: Lavender Laughs in Scotland: Lavender Laughs in the West Indies: Lavender Laughs in Turkey and Lavender laughs in New Guinea by Sylvia Leigh; and The Lost Staircase, Luella was a Land Girl, and The Robin Makes Good by Josephine M. Bettany
In The Chalet School and the Island: The Sea Parrot by Kester Bellever
In The Chalet School in Exile: Tessa in Tyrol by Josephine M. Bettany
In The Mystery at the Chalet School: The Leader of the Lost Cause by Josephine M. Bettany
In The New Mistress at the Chalet School: King's Soldier Maid and Swords Crossed by Josephine M. Bettany
In A Problem for the Chalet School: A Royalist Soldier-Maid and Werner of the Alps by Josephine M. Bettany
In Three Go to the Chalet School: Lavender Laughs in Kashmir by Sylvia Leigh
In Tom Tackles the Chalet School: The Fugitive of the Salt Cave and The Secret House by Josephine M. Bettany
In Two Sams at the Chalet School: Swords for the King! by Josephine M. Bettany
In Maids of La Rochelle: Guernsey Folk Tales by Elizabeth Temple

Top | End

Post subject: Re: List of Fictional Books in EBD's canon
PostPosted: 26 Aug 2013, 22:12 
Having Miss Annersley for Civics

Very useful - thanks for that, Gerry. There's Patrol Leader Nancy in Goes to It too, which I couldn't see; I'm not sure she ever finishes the (poetry?) anthology - it's certainly untitled - and have sometimes wondered if it wasn't a good excuse for not doing other things!

I always feel The Lost Staircase and The Harbour School Series are a bit of a problem in that they're written by both Joey and EMBD - at least, The Lost Staircase is, while Beechy of the Harbour School is a Brent-Dyer book, and Jo writes a Harbour School series (but we're never given any of the titles, I think).

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2013, 22:42 
Bored
Bored

The Robins make good is another written by Joey and EBD it's one of her short stories.

I don't think Malvina wins through should be included - it's the one that she destroyed because of Matey's criticism.

There's also a list in the Chalet School encyclopedia, which includes a couple not in this list, but it doesn't say where they are referred to. Ruth goes Camping, Buttercups and daisies, South Sea Bubble of 1720, None-so-pretty

Last edited by ivohenry on 17 Sep 2013, 11:11, edited 1 time in total.

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2013, 23:10 

Oh blow - I saw None-So-Pretty mentioned only the other day - but I was looking through a number of CS books and can't remember which it was.

Sorry, forgot to add Tessa Takes the Trail; not sure there isn't The Rose Patrol (not in the Alps) too...

Two titles I have never been able to verify are:
Lucy Marlowe: or the Orphan Cousins (in Peggy) and Tamakin and the Golden Jujubes which ISTR Len finds at a Sale at some point.

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2013, 02:16 
Taking Lower IV A for Prep
Taking Lower IV A for Prep

Noreen wrote:
Oh blow - I saw None-So-Pretty mentioned only the other day - but I was looking through a number of CS books and can't remember which it was.

It's in Reunion:

Quote:
"That's Joey Maynard's new book. Her advance copies came yesterday and she asked me to bring it to you. She's coming along herself later in the morning, but she thought you'd like to have it at once."
"Oh, I would – I do!" Grizel lifted the book to admire the attractive jacket. "None so Pretty! What an odd title! One of her historical novels, to judge by the girl on the jacket."

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2013, 08:21 

Thanks, KB - now I won't be driven mad wondering! I'm always slightly jolted by the fact that it's also the title of a 1953 historical novel by Margaret Irwin that I read several times in my teens, though I think it's safe to say that Joey's book of this title will have been quite different...

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2013, 08:28 
Bored
Bored

[quote="Noreen"

Two titles I have never been able to verify are:
Lucy Marlowe: or the Orphan Cousins (in Peggy) and Tamakin and the Golden Jujubes which ISTR Len finds at a Sale at some point.[/quote]

Jusy googled - I think it must be a short story in The Scarlet Herring by Judge Edward Abbott Parry - - the book dedication includes mention of Tomakin, and there's a story called The Golden Jujube, with a child called Tomakin age 7 .

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2013, 08:40 

Thanks, ivohenry - I dipped into that book many years ago, when staying with friends for a weekend, but clearly didn't dip far enough!

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Raiding the Library :: Fiction .:|:. Joey's Trunk
It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 19:15