Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. Sales & Wants
It is currently 27 Apr 2017, 02:17

Post subject: Potential E J Oxenham scam - buyers beware!
PostPosted: 14 Oct 2010, 20:36 
Starting in the Sixth
Starting in the Sixth

I have recently discovered that a Print On Demand (POD) ‘publisher’ in the US is offering a 26-page ‘book’ called Novels by Elsie J. Oxenham: Abbey Connectors, Abbey Series, Oxenham Non-Connectors (Study Guide) (ISBN: 1156856264) for about $15.00 or the local currency equivalent. This appears to be directly copied from four articles on Wikipedia that are largely my work, and that I put on there for free internet use. When I ‘signed up’ to the Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA) and the GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL), that Wikipedia writers agree to abide by, I did not envisage my altruism stretching so far as other people making a profit from it.
It seems that this firm, Books LLC, offer other POD ‘Study Guides’ – which one is forced to conclude may themselves be ‘lifted’ from Wikipedia or other free sources. They do in fact state in the EJO book itself that it is taken from Wikipedia, but at no point until you have paid can you see that. (I downloaded one for evidence - it seemed worth paying the £6.40 pdf download fee in case I had a claim on them - I don't of course, but it's still a scam.) I also checked a Novels of Amy Tan (Study Guide) title they are offering, and again, the sample text they show of that is lifted straight from the Wikipedia article on The Joy Luck Club.
So along with all the other reasons to be wary of POD titles, comes the fact that people may be being inveigled into parting with their cash for something that is freely available on line.

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Potential E J Oxenham scam - buyers beware!
PostPosted: 15 Oct 2010, 02:02 
Going to tea at Freudesheim
Going to tea at Freudesheim

There was a similar scam recently where a guy in the US self-published copies of some fanfic written (by a British woman) on an Enid Blyton forum and advertised them on Amazon.

We all - writers and would-be buyers - need to be very wary of stuff like this going on at the moment. Thanks for the warning on this one, Ruth.

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2010, 19:34 
Very much in quarantine
Very much in quarantine

Just read your letter about this in the Telegraph, Ruth. Did you write to all the papers?

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2010, 21:16 
Starting in the Sixth
Starting in the Sixth

No, just the D Tel - was quite surprised they printed it!

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. Sales & Wants
It is currently 27 Apr 2017, 02:17