Greetings, my fellow CBBers! I know we have had discussions previously about the potential joy of a 10th anniversary gather (well, 10th and a bit; the CBB is 10 years old this month!), and I am delighted to say that this is an actual thing that is actually happening.
If you read the previous thread on the subject, you'll know that the idea is to try and make this a gather that is open to all and try and make it as easy and exciting for new gatherers as for old. The idea is that the meat of the Tentenary (Katherine coined the term; let us all give thanks to her) will take place on the Saturday (say, 10-6; please bear in mind that none of these arrangement are as yet set in stone, and everyone will have the chance to help thrash out the schedule). There will be a host of varied and exciting activities/games/discussions/quizzes etc, and lunch will be provided.
The venue is a guide hall in Milton Keynes (the specific location will be provided once people have signed up; this is just a security measure!). We* have hired it for the weekend, so while the main gather will be, to all intents and purposes, a day event, if preference/travel arrangements dictate, people can arrive/leave between Friday evening and Sunday lunchtime. We will probably arrange some kind of ridiculous activity for those times outside the main gather. Of course, you don't have to stay at the guide hall; I think I'm right in saying that there's a cheapo travel lodge about 5 mins away, and of course Milton Keynes has other hotels.
We have booked already and I'm afraid it was an entirely undemocratic choice of date - we were limited in what the guide hall could offer, and long experience has taught us that there are always dates people can't do, so we have plumped for one and hoped for the best. The Tentenary will take place on Saturday 23 February 2013; as above, the hall will be hired for 22-24 February.
So: what happens next? It would be great to gauge the level of interest, so if you fancy the idea of coming along, please post and say so! This isn't a commitment (there will be an official sign-up thread in the gathering forum in a few weeks' time), so don't worry that you're signing your life away. It would also be excellent to get some ideas for activities that people would like to do - games from the books, or book-related stuff, or for old hands at gathering, activities that have stood out for you at previous events. Also, if you have any questions about anything, this is the place for them! Don't be shy; the more the merrier!
Proposed schedule (this is very, very vague!)
Friday evening-Saturday morning: people arrive
Saturday morning (approx 10-12.30 ish): register (get a badge!); opening speech (me; always terrible and ill-thought-out); doing things
Saturday 12.30-1.30 ish: lunch
Saturday (1.30-6 ish): doing more things - END OF DAY PROGRAMME
Saturday evening (7-10 ish): dinner
Saturday evening-Sunday lunchtime: people leave
Pricing Structure (this is very, very vague!)
1. Saturday day time (probably super cheap; early estimates of £5-10)
2. Saturday day time + Saturday dinner (slightly more than above)
3. Saturday day time + Saturday dinner + Friday or Saturday night (more again; this time taking into account the overnight stay)
4. The platinum package! Saturday day time + Saturday dinner + Friday AND Saturday nights (this is the high-roller's choice; this will be the most expensive; previous gathers have come in at about £35, though of course until we know numbers, activities etc we won't be able to give a clear idea of cost - still, it's the cheapest weekend away you're likely to find!!).
* "We" in this mostly refers to me, KathrynW (aka spreadsheet girl) and Katherine (flavour) - we will be arranging accommodation, food, money etc; hopefully much of the event planning etc can be done right here and everyone can have their say!
dont ever tell me
insects are any more liberal