Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Speaking from the Dais :: Official .:|:. The School Noticeboard
It is currently 27 Apr 2017, 13:52

Post subject: CBB Gather Insurance and Gathers
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2014, 18:19 
Sitting on the arm of a chair

Cross posted to K&K.

Several years ago when we started using Heron's Lodge for residential weekends we had to take out Public Liability Insurance as it was a condition of the booking. There was fund raising done through the board with the expectation that we would then include money for future insurance as part of the cost of any future residential gathers.

The group who were organising the Gathers at Heron's Lodge have said they do not want to continue and no one else has come forward to take over.

I am very loathe to pay the renewal (due 1st April) unless we know that we are going to need PLI. The renewal money is currently sat in one of my bank accounts (worry not, the paper statements at home have "CBB Money not mine" scrawled across them so that if anything happens to me the kids know not to spend it!) Several of the people who contributed to the original sum of money have moved away from the board since then and others haven't been able to attend a Gather.

My feeling is to ring the insurance company and ask them to hold off the renewal for a year (rather than cancelling outright and having to fill it in all the details again) and see if any further gathers are arranged which need PLI. If not I would then suggest that the money is used to help fund the board.

We have been running a successful October Gather at Robin Hole near Leeds for many years, but the Guide Group who own the place are making it harder and harder (and a lot more expensive) to book it. Does anyone have any further ideas? It needs to be somewhere relatively cheap to book, good for both road and public transport links and have good kitchen and living space as well as beds/bunks/mattresses for sleeping on. Ideally we've tried to keep the cost (including food, insurance, booking fee, power, any resources needed etc) to under £30 to keep it as affordable as possible.

Thoughts please!

Top | End

Post subject: Re: CBB Gather Insurance and Gathers
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2014, 22:03 
Arguing with your guardian

I have been looking at various guide and scout sites in the Midlands - the local scout camp site (4 miles from Derby) have a p-ack holiday house which they let to other organisations for £420 for a weekend, this sleep a maximum of 40 with bunk beds for 16 and then the floor. This site is called drum hill. Girl guiding leicester and Notting both have holiday home details on their websites. I haven't enquired any further than this. There is also a site near stoke on trent called copeland cottage, again I don't know how the price compairs.

Top | End

Post subject: Re: CBB Gather Insurance and Gathers
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2014, 18:19 

Just so people know as a comparison, we paid £200 for Robin Hole in oct + about £50 for elec and struggled to keep under £30 per person with that.

As there's not been much discussion about the insurance, I rang Methodist Insurance and they can't put it on hold for a few months so I've cancelled it totally as of the 1st April. I will hold the money "in trust" for the next year in case gathers are arranged where insurance is needed.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Speaking from the Dais :: Official .:|:. The School Noticeboard
It is currently 27 Apr 2017, 13:52