Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Speaking from the Dais :: Official .:|:. The School Noticeboard
It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 12:18

Post subject: Making a Suggestion
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2006, 13:17 
The Squeen
The Squeen

Please feel free to post here making any suggestions that you think would improve life on the CBB.

Either I or a relevant mod will comment (officially) on the thread to say whether it's a feasible suggestion and, if so, whether it's one that we feel should be carried out.

Top | End

Post subject: SAlly Denny Library
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2011, 15:02 
Hearing strange noises in the night
Hearing strange noises in the night

Hi

Would it be possible for the links to the SDL to open in a new browser window autimatically?

So that you are left logged into the CBB still

Top | End

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2011, 16:36 
The Squeen
The Squeen

Don't have that option, I'm afraid. I suggest you right-click on the link and select new tab or window.

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Making a Suggestion
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2013, 23:57 
Discovering ink blots in your Latin prep
Discovering ink blots in your Latin prep

-

Last edited by Katharine on 12 Jul 2015, 12:40, edited 1 time in total.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 11:49 
Having a say in the Sale theme

Is there any way we can prevent any thread with the subject 'Cheap' or 'Kitchen' from being posted? The spam, despite everyone's best efforts, only seems to be increasing! :banghead:

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 13:55 
Presenting your school report

It would be nice, wouldn't it? But in the absence of that I wonder if the person who first reports the post could hit the reply key and say "Reported" to save more of us going through the process just to get the response "this post has already been reported"?

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 14:18 
Beginning of term speech
Beginning of term speech

Great idea.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 15:31 
Climbing with your knees bent

That is a good idea Cestina

So far as prevention is concerned, maybe new posters could not be allowed to start threads? Mind you that would probably just lead to spam replies on other threads

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2013, 16:05 

exile wrote:
That is a good idea Cestina

Can't think why I haven't thought of it before :?

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2013, 17:41 
Receiving support from the form
Receiving support from the form

exile wrote:
So far as prevention is concerned, maybe new posters could not be allowed to start threads? Mind you that would probably just lead to spam replies on other threads

I've seen it where new members posts are moderated until enough have been passed by the moderators. Maybe something like that could work?

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2013, 18:40 
Having Miss Annersley for Civics
Having Miss Annersley for Civics

exile wrote:

Might that stop a new poster from starting a thread in Spot Supper? My first ever post was my profile but I know it isn't everyone's first post. I hope though there is a way to stop the Kitchen spamming.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2013, 18:51 
Going to investigate
Going to investigate

cestina wrote:
It would be nice, wouldn't it? But in the absence of that I wonder if the person who first reports the post could hit the reply key and say "Reported" to save more of us going through the process just to get the response "this post has already been reported"?

Doesn't look as though this idea is working - there are now several where the first post is someone reporting the topic, and the original has gone. Don't know how the system works, but if something is reported and a mod removes it, do any subsequent replies stay unless removed separately? If so, it makes a mod's job harder if anyone adds a reply of Reported. Presumably these replies also need reporting?? Please could a mod advise on this!

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2013, 20:03 

ChubbyMonkey wrote:
Clare W wrote:
exile wrote:

Might that stop a new poster from starting a thread in Spot Supper? My first ever post was my profile but I know it isn't everyone's first post. I hope though there is a way to stop the Kitchen spamming.

We could re-introduce sheep dogs? Whoever was sheep dog could let a mod know if they got a reply to a newbie, and then the newbie could post in SS, at least?

(I don't know if the technology will let us do that?)

The only problem with that is when it comes to shy people. I was a sheepdog once and I know that some of the people I sent my welcome emails to were (almost certainly) not spammers, but never replied, either through embarrassment or because it never occurred to them to do so. If such people were reported, it would mean a lot of people being labelled unfairly as spammers who are just fans of the books who don't want to post/reply.

ETA: perhaps another option is, mixing a couple of ideas from above, if newbies can only start new unmoderated threads in Spot Supper. That will at least limit the damage to one section of the board and will make cleaning up easier.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2013, 22:23 
Drinking gin out of a Russian doll
Drinking gin out of a Russian doll

ivohenry wrote:
cestina wrote:

Doesn't look as though this idea is working - there are now several where the first post is someone reporting the topic, and the original has gone. Don't know how the system works, but if something is reported and a mod removes it, do any subsequent replies stay unless removed separately? If so, it makes a mod's job harder if anyone adds a reply of Reported. Presumably these replies also need reporting?? Please could a mod advise on this!

Yup, that's how it works. In all honesty, there's not much need to actually click report. The mods tend to spot the spam posts when they come on and there's not an easy way I've found to see which posts have been reported.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2013, 23:03 
Dashing off for your part in the play

I agree that there's very little need to report spam threads. Whenever I log on to the board I look at new posts and if there's spam in one of my fora, I note the details and delete the thread.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2013, 00:17 
Swapping addresses
Swapping addresses

I dislike all these wretched kitchen ads as much as anyone, but I am concerned that regulation of early posts by an individual (and there's no evidence that these 'kitcheners' are all new entities, just new names) would put many people off joining in. When I de-lurked, I loved the fact that it was so welcoming, and well, open, and I think that's part of the charm of the Board.

Most people joining the CBB are likely to be familiar with other forums where there is no regulating of new members in this way, and might very well wonder why it applied here.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2013, 07:46 

The kitchen spammers are new members - they usually post on the day they join - but I agree with your reservations about regulating new members.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2013, 10:00 

Well if there is no need to report the posts, that's fine - one can just ignore them. So I will give up on the "reported" reply :)

Nearly all the discussion forums I belong to moderate new members for the first few posts and it seems perfectly reasonable to me to do so. Surely with the level of hacking etc that is now going on new members would see the sense behind it?

It could happen with a perfectly friendly and welcoming explanation of why it is being done......

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2013, 10:13 

JB wrote:
I agree that there's very little need to report spam threads. Whenever I log on to the board I look at new posts and if there's spam in one of my fora, I note the details and delete the thread.

That's very useful to know - I thought I was making life easier for the mods by reporting. If there's no need, like Cestina, I won't do it any more :-) Thanks for telling us that, Kathryn and JB.

My website - Joyful Jewellery

Joyful Jewellery on Facebook

[url=http://joyful-jewellery.myshopify.com/blogs/news/79806723-christmas-2015New blog post 28th November[/url]

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2013, 22:16 
Going to investigate
Going to investigate

cestina wrote:
Well if there is no need to report the posts, that's fine - one can just ignore them. So I will give up on the "reported" reply :)

Nearly all the discussion forums I belong to moderate new members for the first few posts and it seems perfectly reasonable to me to do so. Surely with the level of hacking etc that is now going on new members would see the sense behind it?

It could happen with a perfectly friendly and welcoming explanation of why it is being done......

I think this is a good idea - many other boards do moderate people for the first few posts - and given that the kitchen people usually only post once, moderation for new people needn't be more than just a couple of posts. Whatever they get sent when they join (can't remember, it's so long since I joined, but presumably there's some sort of welcome they get?) could say that the first few posts of all new members are moderated. It shouldn't put people off if they are told when they join.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Speaking from the Dais :: Official .:|:. The School Noticeboard
It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 12:18