Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Speaking from the Dais :: Official .:|:. The School Noticeboard
It is currently 28 Mar 2017, 01:34

Post subject: Re: Making a Suggestion
PostPosted: 25 Oct 2013, 22:22 
Promising to do better
Promising to do better

I can see if a post has been reported in my fora but not in others. I tend to look at the latest member name when I log in - most of the spammers are easy to spot that way and quickly check the threads in my fora. I was not on much over the past two weeks due to UCAS deadlines and open evenings at my school - I usually do check most does as do most of the other mods.

I agree-the spammers are annoying but as many of them are automated systems it can be hard to find a fail proof way to screen them out short of moderating posts

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2013, 01:35 
Reserving an embroidered picture
Reserving an embroidered picture

JB wrote:
The kitchen spammers are new members - they usually post on the day they join - but I agree with your reservations about regulating new members.

I think it's very likely that the postings are automated - a computer somewhere searching the internet for phpBB forum servers and trying to create an account automatically. Where it's successful it uses the account to post a message, then moves on.

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2013, 07:35 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Jayne wrote:
I think it's very likely that the postings are automated - a computer somewhere searching the internet for phpBB forum servers and trying to create an account automatically. Where it's successful it uses the account to post a message, then moves on.
And I've always supposed that several (perhaps even many) of the 'identities' come from the same source...

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2013, 08:45 
Starting in the Sixth
Starting in the Sixth

Some of them come in from the same IP address if they get in at the same time. That IP address is then banned ... but they can generate/use another one fairly easily, so while that works with 'real' people that are trolling, it isn't so much use for the automated ones like these b**** kitchens!

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2013, 16:46 
Donating it to the Childrens' Ward
Donating it to the Childrens' Ward

Re sheepdog idea, following on from what KB said, when I joined the sheepdog thing was still going, but the message from my sheepdog didn't ever reach me (can't remember who it was!). So she would have thought I was either shy, rude or a spammer when actually I hadn't had the message.

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2013, 17:14 
Drinking gin out of a Russian doll
Drinking gin out of a Russian doll

We have various captchas and questions that people need to respond to before they join - it stops a large number but obviously a couple get through a day. If you google it, it's a well known problem affecting forums like the CBB (and even bigger forms like MSE) and there isn't really a solution and so we just have to put up with it. Most of the mods come on every day so they can delete the posts as and when they appear.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Speaking from the Dais :: Official .:|:. The School Noticeboard
It is currently 28 Mar 2017, 01:34