Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Speaking from the Dais :: Official .:|:. The School Noticeboard
It is currently 28 Apr 2017, 05:30

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Moving all the fic off the CBB
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2011, 00:00 
Concerned about new girl
Concerned about new girl

They tell me,
Quote:
You are not authorised to read this forum.

whether I am logged into Sally Denny, logged out, at home (Firefox) or at work (Explorer). I had assumed they were merely a work in progress!

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2011, 02:34 
Reserving an embroidered picture

I'm guessing that it should be ok, but if we do update as we go, is that still ok as long as we edit and add it to a chapter? So for example the update might only be 500 words, but each next update is added within the same chapter, which seems to work ok from my marathon moving session.

I'm guessing that it might not then notify people of the update until a new chapter is added ?

That then does allow people who are interactive drabbling to carry on adding smaller updates if they want to, and if that is what their readers want, smaller and more frequent rather than longer and less often. rather than having to wait until a larger amount is done. Will that cause any logistical problems ?

Btw like the new comment at the top of the submissions rules ...

Hope this doesn't count as an issue that isn't there. I'm only asking as I don't really understand RSS feeds etc, and don't want to be clogging anything up, but sometimes a smaller update suits some of the more interactive drabbles.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2011, 04:28 
Being taken down a peg or two
Being taken down a peg or two

Kathy_S wrote:
They tell me,
Quote:

me too.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2011, 05:10 
Attending the Fifth Form Evening

Is there anyway to mark on the SDL if this a story that was on the board say 3 years ago, or something new now?

(I cant always remember what I ahve read in the past

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2011, 06:06 

Hope I am allowed another question
Clarification pleaes,
Where are current drabbles being updated, on the board or on SDL?
Or both??

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2011, 06:50 
The Squeen
The Squeen

keren wrote:
Hope I am allowed another question
Clarification pleaes,
Where are current drabbles being updated, on the board or on SDL?
Or both??

Currently that's up to the author. From the start of phase two (some time round the beginning of July), fic will only be updated on the SDL as the drabbles on the board will be locked.

keren wrote:
Is there anyway to mark on the SDL if this a story that was on the board say 3 years ago, or something new now?

Unfortunately not. It shouldn't be a problem once everyone's posted their previous fics, so in the future, "recent updates" should actually be recent updates!!

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2011, 06:57 
The Squeen
The Squeen

Kathy_S wrote:
They tell me,
Quote:

whether I am logged into Sally Denny, logged out, at home (Firefox) or at work (Explorer). I had assumed they were merely a work in progress!

Hopefully this is fixed now - let me know if it still doesn't work.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2011, 08:17 
Swept off by Matey to pack
Swept off by Matey to pack

It works for me now.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2011, 09:55 
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

Liss wrote:
Mmm, fic recs and "can you help me I'm looking for a fic where Jack got turned into a frog" kind of things... I like it...

Jack Lambert or Jack Maynard? :lol: :lol:

Will Joey's Trunk still exist? Or could there be a 'Help, I'm stuck' sort of thread, where those people looking for inspiration can post and get ideas?

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2011, 10:35 
Being rescued by Dr Ackles

Beecharmer wrote:
I'm guessing that it should be ok, but if we do update as we go, is that still ok as long as we edit and add it to a chapter? So for example the update might only be 500 words, but each next update is added within the same chapter, which seems to work ok from my marathon moving session.

I'm guessing that it might not then notify people of the update until a new chapter is added ?

That then does allow people who are interactive drabbling to carry on adding smaller updates if they want to, and if that is what their readers want, smaller and more frequent rather than longer and less often. rather than having to wait until a larger amount is done. Will that cause any logistical problems ?

Btw like the new comment at the top of the submissions rules ...

Hope this doesn't count as an issue that isn't there. I'm only asking as I don't really understand RSS feeds etc, and don't want to be clogging anything up, but sometimes a smaller update suits some of the more interactive drabbles.

Speaking personally that would lose me as a reader as I would never bother to check chapters I had already read in case they had been edited. I am as guilty as anyone about short updates but I think it will be good for me to be pushed into properly updating with the emphasis on reader-friendliness.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2011, 10:58 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I'd agree that going back and editing chapters would confuse people and that it'd be better to post one whole chapter at a time but, just as a general query, how much would people suggest posting as one chapter? I normally post a page or two of font size 10 at a time, but earlier this year I asked about post lengths because I was going to post a 15 pages (of Word, font size 10) all in one go for the Un-Valentine's Day drabble and the general consensus was that 15 pages was way too much to read on a computer screen in one go (especially if reading whilst pretending to be working :lol: ).

Can anyone who's used to reading or writing fanfic on an SDL-type site give us some pointers :D ?

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2011, 11:02 
Lamenting the amount of work

Surely the length of a chapter can't be defined precisely? Is it not down to the author to make chapter breaks that are appropriate for the story that is being written? And for their style of writing?

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2011, 11:07 

Obviously chapter length is going to vary by story, but I was just thinking in terms of how much people would want to read at once. As I said, when I mentioned the subject earlier this year most people said that they found 15 pages, for example, too much to read in one go.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2011, 11:40 

cestina wrote:
Surely the length of a chapter can't be defined precisely? Is it not down to the author to make chapter breaks that are appropriate for the story that is being written? And for their style of writing?

This seems eminently sensible.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2011, 12:35 

Thanks for bothering to reply, I just really don't like changing pages when reading which is one reason why I have never been that interested in fanfic sites. So would prefer to add gradually to one chapter even while doing a social part of my drabble.

I just wanted to know really how that would show up on the feed, my feeling is that it will only show as an update when a chapter is done. Therefore those who know the Drabble might be updated in little clifflets can still go and look, but those who want to read a chunk at a time can look at a chapter as and when they want to.

It might mean occasionally someone loses a bit of plot, but mostly I think it would just provide a bit of both world, so people don't lose the story in short updates or lose the interaction by having to wait a few days for a few posts.

But how and where people update will be how they enjoy doing it, whether on the CBB or elsewhere. No one should be feeling they have to conform to anything if it hampers their enjoyment of drabbling.

The key thing I am trying to confirm is that by adding within a current chapter that I am not going to create a load of Beecharmer is spouting off again update on the RSS feed. Because that would annoy me, and is of no use to anyone. I don't use things like RSS feeds as I am very rarely on the computer nowadays so I won't be able to tell.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2011, 13:00 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

Responding to Alison's query - I have been rather naughty and uploaded about 12 pages of A4 text (about 8000 words!) as a single chapter (I was trying out the uploading system). Can I split this into several chapters?

Top | End

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2011, 13:37 
The Squeen
The Squeen

Emma A wrote:
Responding to Alison's query - I have been rather naughty and uploaded about 12 pages of A4 text (about 8000 words!) as a single chapter (I was trying out the uploading system). Can I split this into several chapters?

Once you've added it, there isn't a function to split one chapter into several. It's horses for courses, though - for a long fic I personally prefer to read it in one go, so there's no need for lots of chapters if authors don't want to post that way.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2011, 19:20 
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

I have started adding Marjorie to the SDL, just to see if I could, which I managed, but I couldn't work out how to add more than one character. Can someone explain this to me, as I am sure, from looking at others it is possible, but clearly I am being a bit thick!

You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders, who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2011, 19:57 

Elle wrote:
I have started adding Marjorie to the SDL, just to see if I could, which I managed, but I couldn't work out how to add more than one character. Can someone explain this to me, as I am sure, from looking at others it is possible, but clearly I am being a bit thick!

Press the 'control' key when you select another character. :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2011, 20:13 
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

Abi wrote:
Elle wrote:

Press the 'control' key when you select another character. :D

Ah! Thanks, will give that a go :)

You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders, who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

Top | End

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index .:|:. Speaking from the Dais :: Official .:|:. The School Noticeboard
It is currently 28 Apr 2017, 05:30