Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. Recommendations
It is currently 28 Mar 2017, 22:38

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 396 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: What We're Reading III
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2015, 17:45 
Being rescued by Dr Ackles
Being rescued by Dr Ackles

New thread!

Top | End

Post subject: Re: What We're Reading III
PostPosted: 21 Jul 2015, 19:50 
Starting in the Sixth
Starting in the Sixth

I have just finished Old Friends and New Fancies - the Austen sequel recommended by sealpuppy - and have started A Wilder Rose - which is currently only £1 on kindle - which is about the writing of the Little House books.

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2015, 22:01 
Coming top in the form
Coming top in the form

Have just finished the Anne of Green Gables saga and am mightily impressed by Rilla of Ingleside - very real depiction of how women coped as their men went off to war - young, old, sons, lovers - a war waged so many miles from home.

The other book which I have just finished is "All the Light You Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr. Set in World War 2, stories are told in parallel of a young, blind, French girl and a young, intelligent, German boy. The stories are connected by radio broadcasts, the town of St. Malo and a missing jewel. It took me a couple of chapters to get into it and then I was totally hooked. It depicts the nazification of a decent boy and how an intelligent girl surmounts her blindness. If you know and love St. Malo then that's a bonus.

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2015, 22:54 
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley

I'm reading Arsenic for Tea-Robin Stevens, A Fiddler for the Abbey-EJO (I left my Kindle at home but had this in my bag) and Die blaue Liste-Wolfgang Schorlau

Have just downloaded A Wilder Rose :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2015, 20:21 
Discovering ink blots in your Latin prep

I've just finished The Ocean At The End Of The Lane by Neli Gaiman, and absolutely loved it! Wonderful mix of reality and fantasy, creepy and scary and funny and exciting at different times, and the Hempstocks are just perfect characters. It's only £0.99 on amazon at the moment, too :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2015, 21:41 
Swept off by Matey to pack
Swept off by Matey to pack

elennare wrote:
I've just finished The Ocean At The End Of The Lane by Neli Gaiman, and absolutely loved it! Wonderful mix of reality and fantasy, creepy and scary and funny and exciting at different times, and the Hempstocks are just perfect characters. It's only £0.99 on amazon at the moment, too :)

Neil Gaiman is one of my favourite fantasy authors . Have you read Neverwhere? :) that's my favourite by him that I've read.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2015, 23:09 

This thread is going to be bad for my purse... :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2015, 02:17 

emma t wrote:
elennare wrote:

Neil Gaiman is one of my favourite fantasy authors . Have you read Neverwhere? :) that's my favourite by him that I've read.

I have! I own Neverwhere, Stardust, Fragile Things, American Gods, and Good Omens (which he co-wrote with Terry Pratchett). I'm not sure I can pick a favourite really... I definitely liked American Gods the least, which disappointed me because so many people seem to love it above all his other books - maybe it was the hype that did it, or maybe you have to be more familiar with the US. But I love all the rest!

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2015, 20:38 
Scarlet fever!
Scarlet fever!

The Ocean at the End of the Lane is beautiful, Elennare. I'm not really a big fan of fantasy, apart from one or two books, but I did enjoy that one.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2015, 22:49 
Lamenting the amount of work

Just finished a lovely new book called 'The Word Exchange'. It's about a nearish future where technology has advanced quite a lot and books and analogue reading in general have pretty much vanished except in a few old-fashioned corners. But THEN a virus begins to spread and suddenly the world is facing the destruction of a huge quantity of its written material - and even words themselves. It's very exciting and, in my opinion (though I see some reviewers disagree) rather well and interestingly written. Much recommended for anyone who loves words or dystopias.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2015, 23:01 

I just finished Mary Stewart's "Wildfire at Midnight" which I adored and devoured in a day (which is quite impressive considering I was working for nine hours and driving for a further two). Thank you to whoever mentioned re-reading her at some point on here as I had never heard of her but I saw this in a second hand book shop and bought it on impulse. It was like a delicious mix of Agatha Christie and Katie Fforde and I just couldn't put it down.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2015, 23:53 
Donating it to the Childrens' Ward
Donating it to the Childrens' Ward

brie wrote:
I just finished Mary Stewart's "Wildfire at Midnight" which I adored and devoured in a day (which is quite impressive considering I was working for nine hours and driving for a further two). Thank you to whoever mentioned re-reading her at some point on here as I had never heard of her but I saw this in a second hand book shop and bought it on impulse. It was like a delicious mix of Agatha Christie and Katie Fforde and I just couldn't put it down.

I haven't read any of Mary Stewart's books for years, but I remember really enjoying "Wildfire at Midnight". I think the one I enjoyed most was "Airs Above the Ground" with its descriptions of the dressage movements performed by the Austrian Lippizaner horses - the title derives from the name of one of the movements. Hope you find more of her books to enjoy, Brie.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2015, 00:43 

I too love Airs above the Ground. Àt one point I always cry which is very rare for me when reading.

Lucky you brie - many more Stewarts to explore!

I'm off to check out The Word Exchange....

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2015, 10:37 

I should add about The Word Exchange, that reading it on Kindle could be a bit fiddly as there are quite a few footnotes, especially at the beginning of the book, and I seem to remember they're quite difficult on a Kindle.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2015, 23:22 
Being told to stand on your own two feet
Being told to stand on your own two feet

I read most of Mary Stewart's books years ago (I think after seeing the movie The Moonspinners and learning that it was based on a book) and while I enjoyed them, after reading a bunch of them in a row I felt like it was the same heroine in each book just under different names and in different countries.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2015, 12:56 
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress

I think Stewart's Merlin trilogy is wonderful.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2015, 21:27 

In What We're Reading II I asked about Station Eleven, currently at £1.79 for the Kindle.

I have nearly finished it and I think it's a wonderful book; written with enormous sensitivity and gentleness despite handling such a difficult - and all too probable - future world. It weaves together past and present with great ingenuity and I am off now to see how it ends......

I have posted this before reaching the end in case the price suddenly goes up.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2015, 22:50 
Starting in the Sixth
Starting in the Sixth

Thanks - have bought it to try.

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2015, 11:26 
Arguing with your guardian

I've just finished "us" David Nicholls (tube book) which I loved - moved me to tears in a few places and "Curtain up" Noel Streatfield (home book) which I hadn't read in over thirty years and was a nostalgia fest! Think I'll Move onto some detective fiction next - does anyone else read the Nicola Upson series of Jospehine Tey books? There's a new one out which was a birthday present. I've enjoyed the rest of the series so am looking forward to starting it.

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2015, 19:03 

I've been having a great month for reading so far not only have I discovered Mary Stewart (as mentioned gushingly above :lol: ) but also Jasper Fforde, which was just a whirlwind from start to finish. I have the Moonspinners on my to read pile, and I have reserved several Jasper Fforde novels which hopefully I can pick up from the library tomorrow. I will definitely be spending August with my nose in a book.

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 396 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. Recommendations
It is currently 28 Mar 2017, 22:38