Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. Recommendations
It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 05:52

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 559 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: What We're Reading III
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2015, 19:26 
Reserving an embroidered picture
Reserving an embroidered picture

I've read a couple of the Nicola UPson books but disliked the Tey character as written in the books. Reading Josephine Tey's own books she comes across as warm, friendly and amusing, completely different from the fictitious version.

I seem to be re-reading the Discworld books backwards! I read the Tiffany Aching books to remind myself about her in time for the new/last one next month and I've now gone back as far as Snuff. Might change direction and read all the witches books and then all the Vimes books.
I also re-read 'A man of some repute' by Elizabeth Edmondson, an excellent 'proper' village mystery set in 1953, with further books to come.

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2015, 21:11 
Presenting your school report

brie wrote:
I've been having a great month for reading so far not only have I discovered Mary Stewart (as mentioned gushingly above :lol: ) but also Jasper Fforde, which was just a whirlwind from start to finish. I have the Moonspinners on my to read pile, and I have reserved several Jasper Fforde novels which hopefully I can pick up from the library tomorrow. I will definitely be spending August with my nose in a book.

Ooh, LOVE Jasper Fforde! I'm still really hoping he writes another Shades of Grey book because I loved that one. But apparently sales weren't good enough and his publishers don't really want him to. :(

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2015, 21:19 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

Abi wrote:

Ooh, LOVE Jasper Fforde! I'm still really hoping he writes another Shades of Grey book because I loved that one. But apparently sales weren't good enough and his publishers don't really want him to. :(

Another one for me to look forward to! I've only read the Eyre Affair so far.

Book blog: https://GiltAndDust.WordPress.com

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2015, 14:04 
Tilting in Prep
Tilting in Prep

Has anyone else read Robyn Walker's The Women Who Spied for Britain?

I've only read the first chapter so far, which is about Violette Szabo. But it looks really good, very realistic and not as romanticised as some accounts I've read. Gritty but gripping would be my description.

Edited for clarity

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2015, 19:27 
Hearing strange noises in the night

Has anyone read Ken Follett's Century Trilogy? I couldn't get on with his Pillars of the Earth series at all, but have just started Fall of Giants, the first of the Century Trilogy, and am finding it gripping! Problem is, the copy is a hardback tome which I've borrowed from our building's library, and I'm never going to have time to finish it within a reasonable length of time, given that I can't read 24.7! :(
I see the three volumes are available as e-books; the first two are around 5 GBP each on Amazon.ca but the last is closer to 10 GBP. Is it worth my while to buy them all at once, (the cost for the third, at any rate, is way beyond my usual price limit for e-books) or perhaps simply buy the first and see how I get on?

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2015, 08:31 
Tilting in Prep
Tilting in Prep

I've just read Annie Murray's My Mother, My Daughter and found it excellent. I've read others by her, which were a bit light-weight, to be honest.

However, this one is about two families, one English and one Punjabi (Sikh). It's set in the 80s with flashbacks to World War II and the time of India's Independence.

It gives a fascinating insight into the challenges facing both evacuees and early immigrants from the Indian sub-continent and tackles both domestic violence and arranged marriages.

Having said all that, it's not at all heavy going, and I thoroughly recommend it. :D

Edited because I realised I got the author's name wrong, so I've corrected it in case anyone is looking for the book.

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2015, 08:32 
Declaring it to have been the best term
Declaring it to have been the best term

Elder in Ontario wrote:
Has anyone read Ken Follett's Century Trilogy? I couldn't get on with his Pillars of the Earth series at all, but have just started Fall of Giants, the first of the Century Trilogy, and am finding it gripping! Problem is, the copy is a hardback tome which I've borrowed from our building's library, and I'm never going to have time to finish it within a reasonable length of time, given that I can't read 24.7! :(
I see the three volumes are available as e-books; the first two are around 5 GBP each on Amazon.ca but the last is closer to 10 GBP. Is it worth my while to buy them all at once, (the cost for the third, at any rate, is way beyond my usual price limit for e-books) or perhaps simply buy the first and see how I get on?

I ended up buying all three of these (on the kindle) the first one I read for book club - didn't enjoy it at first, but then the story got me hooked. They are expensive but I believe I will re-read then so, for me, ultimately worth the price. I enjoyed each subsequent book more than the previous one :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2015, 10:57 

I've just finished The Late Scholar by Jill Paton Walsh. I enjoyed it so much - it was just lovely. And it's a long time since I read the actual Sayers books, so I didn't have any annoying 'they wouldn't have done THAT!' moments!

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2015, 10:05 
Discovering ink blots in your Latin prep
Discovering ink blots in your Latin prep

I loved "The Late Scholar", Abi, and I don't think there are many (any, even?) ouch moments. I think the characters ring very true.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2015, 19:58 
Tilting in Prep
Tilting in Prep

I remember there was some discussion in the previous thread about Go Set A Watchman. I've just read it; a friend lent it to me.

And I'm left wondering what all the hype was about. I didn't enjoy it very much to be honest. Not so much because of the content, but because of the style of writing. It certainly didn't 'grip' me.

Perhaps the original publishers were right to turn it down and encourage her to write To Kill a Mocking Bird.

Edited to clarify, because I realised the discussion was probably in What We're Reading II.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2015, 08:20 

I've just finished Schindler's List (originally published as Schindler's Ark). I really - well, enjoyed would be the wrong word, but I'm very glad I've read it. It's fascinating the way that someone who was really kind of an arse suddenly became a hero, and he really was. I liked the way the book was written - it claims to be a novel, but it reads almost like a biography. Every fact is carefully researched; if there's some doubt whether something happened this is made clear. It's told in a very simple, understated way. The story almost plods along, with lots of background detail and told quite slowly and painstakingly. It just felt like a really important story, and I think Keneally honours the story with the way he tells it.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2015, 14:53 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

As I am currently saving for that all important deposit for a first home I have had to slash my book budget so this month I have mostly being enjoying all the free classics you can get on the kindle. I am currently working my way through Emmeline Pankhurst's autobiography which seems to have been published just as WW1 was declared.

I made the mistake of reading one of Louisa Alcott's I hadn't heard of 'The mysterious key and what it Opened' which I feel can be described using an EBD quote "Tripe of the tripiest kind". I mean it wasn't all bad something kept me reading and I read it all in one gulp, but IMO really not very good.

Book blog: https://GiltAndDust.WordPress.com

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2015, 20:09 
Released!
Released!

Abi wrote:
I've just finished Schindler's List (originally published as Schindler's Ark). I really - well, enjoyed would be the wrong word, but I'm very glad I've read it. It's fascinating the way that someone who was really kind of an arse suddenly became a hero, and he really was. I liked the way the book was written - it claims to be a novel, but it reads almost like a biography. Every fact is carefully researched; if there's some doubt whether something happened this is made clear. It's told in a very simple, understated way. The story almost plods along, with lots of background detail and told quite slowly and painstakingly. It just felt like a really important story, and I think Keneally honours the story with the way he tells it.

I agree with everything you say, Abi. I read it years ago, long before I saw the film, and thoroughly enjoyed it, especially as I had never heard of the man, at that point. But I've always enjoyed most of what Thomas Keneally has written over the years.

Have just finished Jan Karon's latest Mitford book in pb, Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good, and had my Father Tim fix for the year.

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2015, 03:59 

I too read Schindler's List/Ark before seeing the film, and thought it very well done. Interestingly, I've tried other Thomas Keneally titles without success.

I romped through A Bachelor Establishment by Isabelle Barclay (thanks for the recommendation way back, Sealpuppy) on a flight last week, read and loved Somewhere Safe with Somebody Good while I was away and am part way through both The Devil's Seal and Elizabeth is Missing, thanks to my return flight!! So within the space of less than a week, I'm having my latest fix of Fidelma and Father Tim!! Great fun.

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2015, 09:33 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Elder in Ontario wrote:
I romped through A Bachelor Establishment by Isabelle Barclay (thanks for the recommendation way back, Sealpuppy) on a flight last week

Down to 99p today on kindle for anyone who hasn't got it yet

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2015, 10:55 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

abbeybufo wrote:
Elder in Ontario wrote:
I romped through A Bachelor Establishment by Isabelle Barclay (thanks for the recommendation way back, Sealpuppy) on a flight last week

Bah humbug :(

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2015, 16:35 
Released!
Released!

I've just finished reading A Bachelor Establishment, having started yesterday. I simply couldn't put it down. I decided to download her first St Mary's and see how I get on with that.

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2015, 17:02 
Playing Impertinent Questions
Playing Impertinent Questions

abbeybufo wrote:

Back to £2.99 today :(

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2015, 19:27 
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

I read A Bachelor Establishment last night when I couldn't sleep and I loved it.

I would have preferred to be asleep but you can't have everything!

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2015, 20:19 
Indulging in a midnight feast
Indulging in a midnight feast

Read a Bachelor Establishment today with a sick kitten on my lap. The exchanges between Elinor and Ryde were hilarious and the other characters were well-drawn.

On a completely different tack, I am reading A Buzz in the Meadow by Dave Goulson and finding it fascinating. He bought a derelict farm in the heart of France and has created a nature reserve not only for his beloved bees but for all sorts of insects and flora and fauna. It's an easy read, lots of anecdotes but I have gained a lot of insight into the insect world. He won't persuade me to like some of them any better but at least I have a better understanding of why they are on our planet.

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 559 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 28  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. Recommendations
It is currently 13 Nov 2018, 05:52