Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. Recommendations
It is currently 28 Mar 2017, 22:31

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: What We're Reading III
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2016, 14:58 
Lamenting the amount of work

Ooh, I love The Dark Is Rising! There was a drama of Over Sea Under Stone on Radio 4 the other week which I quite enjoyed too.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2016, 15:10 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

I love The Dark Is Rising too. I don't recollect struggling to finish any of them, but then they were published when I was a young adult, which may have made them easier to deal with.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2016, 20:45 
Scarlet fever!
Scarlet fever!

Elder in Ontario wrote:
Who was it who recommended the Gil Cunningham books on here - was it Abbeybufo on another thread? All I can say is "thank you" - I downloaded an omnibus of the first four a while ago, but have only just got round to reading them - have read three so far and really enjoyed them.

I must also thank whoever recommended them, Eder, as am now reading number four and have really enjoyed them. In fact, reading them has been the only thing keeping me going this week...

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2016, 20:48 
Donating it to the Childrens' Ward
Donating it to the Childrens' Ward

Quote:
Quote:
A friend introduced me recently to Slightly Foxed. Does anyone else on here know of it?

Subscribed a few weeks ago and bought that book, Mabel. Have yet to dip into either, but that's more a measure of how life is at the moment than the temptingness of the products.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2016, 17:19 
Scarlet fever!
Scarlet fever!

I've been a member for Slightly Foxed for several years and have quite a few of their books, including one by Ysenda Maxtone Graham about a Catholic boys' school, which is very amusing, and have now ordered her 'Terms and Conditions' about girls' boarding schools. Their readers' quarterly magazine contains very interesting articles, but is a tad on the expensive side. In the 2014 winter mag, Maxtone Graham wrote an excellent and highly entertaining article of several pages about Angela Brazil and her books. I should add that you can back-order magazines, if there are any remaining.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2016, 20:27 
Arranging your timetable with Miss Dene

MaryR wrote:
. I should add that you can back-order magazines, if there are any remaining.

If you subscribe for at least a year you now get access to the whole back archive electronically.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2016, 00:44 
Declaring it to have been the best term

I'm reading Juniors of the Chalet School, and enjoying it very much. it's interesting seeing the story of Princess of the CS from the juniors' pov, and to see their characters in more depth than we get in EBD's own books

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2016, 09:01 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I am as well :D . I've always thought that Le Petit Chalet, the Annexe, the finishing school (after that one book) and the Carnbach branch were all just waiting to be written about, so it's nice to see Le Petit Chalet get its own book.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2016, 10:16 
Arguing with your guardian

Finally getting around to reading The Martian. Want to read it before seeing the movie :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2017, 00:42 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

My interest in Campfire was sparked by EJO's Abbey books.
I've just finished and enjoyed: "The Torchbearer" by I.T Thurston (free on Kindle).
I've also just finished the hilariously Victorian "Ethel Hollister's Second Summer as a Campfire Girl" by Irene Elliott Benson (it includes the mandatory touching death, and an impressive number of engagements- the eligible young men transfer affections in the blink of an eye!)

Has anyone come across Campfire in Britain besides in EJO? Thanks :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2017, 09:59 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Only in objects connected with the movement (at the V&A Museum of Childhood) - but I expect you meant fiction?

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2017, 21:39 

mrs helston wrote:
My interest in Campfire was sparked by EJO's Abbey books.
I've just finished and enjoyed: "The Torchbearer" by I.T Thurston (free on Kindle).
I've also just finished the hilariously Victorian "Ethel Hollister's Second Summer as a Campfire Girl" by Irene Elliott Benson (it includes the mandatory touching death, and an impressive number of engagements- the eligible young men transfer affections in the blink of an eye!)

Has anyone come across Campfire in Britain besides in EJO? Thanks :)

Not actually in Britain, but EBD has a mention of Camp Fire in CS wins the trick, Val and Celia etc are making a campfire on the cricket pitch at the CS (or somewhere equally inappropriate) because one of them has read about Camp Fire, don't think it actually says they'd read about it in EJO, but somewhere else she does mention an EJO about Camp Fire. I have a vague memory that Angela Brazil may have mentioned it too but no idea where.

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2017, 18:30 
Discovering ink blots in your Latin prep
Discovering ink blots in your Latin prep

I just finished reading Ilona Andrews' Innkeeper series and I enjoyed it just as much as the Kate Daniels and Edge series. I adore her twists on urban fantasy, and despite the fact that this was written serially I think it really stands up.

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2017, 19:23 
Buying your school uniform

I've just read "For The Sake of the School' by Angela Brazil, which features a school Campfire group. Lovely descriptions of the Welsh countryside

Also recently read a couple from the Campfire Girls series on Gutenberg, which are pretty dreadful. Ethel Hollister is probably one of the better ones!

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2017, 16:56 
Sale declared Open!
Sale declared Open!

There are days when you just need a really nice book to read - so I'm re-reading 'Enchanted Glass' by Diana Wynne Jones and wishing she was still around and writing.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2017, 18:35 
Sale declared Open!
Sale declared Open!

I read 'Her Fearful Symmetry' by Audrey Niffenegger while on holiday. Didn't enjoy The Time Traveller's Wife (film or book) but I was on holiday so I thought I'd give it a chance. I'm astonished at how much I disliked it! Unpleasant people being beastly to other equally unpleasant people.
Luckily I then read Whitethorn Wood by Maeve Binchy which made me feel much better.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Feb 2017, 14:46 
Finding out about the Sale

I've just read David Hume's "An Enquiry concerning Human Understanding".

I'm not suggesting anyone reads it but he's a whale on cause-and-effect!

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2017, 23:25 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

I've just finished The Santa Klaus Murder and Death on the Cherwell by Mavis Doriel Hay and really enjoyed them both, less for the murder mystery and more for the characters and the atmosphere (Daphne's boyfriend's poetry book with its blank pages made me giggle!).

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2017, 00:12 

I very much enjoyed Death on the Cherwell - quite gigglesome altogether, I thought!

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2017, 16:16 

I've just read "The Voices Within" which is about both "inner dialogue" - the conversations we all hold with ourselves in our own heads, and those people who "hear" voices from outside.

One chapter deals with writers, and I was reminded of the description of Joey feeling that she acts as a loudspeaker for her characters, and of her annoyance when her characters don't do as she thinks they should - both experiences being common to other writers.

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. Recommendations
It is currently 28 Mar 2017, 22:31