Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. Recommendations
It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 21:10

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 477 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: What We're Reading III
PostPosted: 18 Jun 2017, 21:56 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

I've just reread 'The Fly Trap' by Fredrik Sjoberg, which is a memoir about his life on a little Swedish island collecting hoverflies. It's so lovely... it's slow and summery and funny in a gentle, dry way that at first you hardly notice. I think the translator has also done a truly brilliant job. I really am not particularly interested in fly collecting of any kind, but he makes it enchanting and wonderful and almost makes me think it's a life I might enjoy! Highly recommended!

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2017, 12:34 
Presenting your school report

I am just reading Mrs de HV's Lady Cressida and it seems to me that there must have been a book before it because there are so many references to things that have happened to the characters in the past. Does anyone know if there was another book and if so what was it called please?

I don't actually much like Lady Cressida but I'm interested to know nevertheless.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2017, 12:49 
Swapping addresses
Swapping addresses

According to Goodreads, the one before it is An Unknown Lover. Wikipedia gives its publication date as 1913, and it's on Gutenberg...

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2017, 13:16 
Admiring Tom's latest effort

I've got An Unknown Lover - the heroine is Grizel! Neither shows Mrs Thing at her best and Lady C is a whinger!

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2017, 14:22 
Swapping addresses
Swapping addresses

Yes, I started reading Lady Cassandra/ Grizel Married and gave up, which is most unlike me!

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2017, 16:37 

Thanks both. I think I won't bother to read the first one though I have almost struggled to the end of Lady Cassandra.

A much better name for her than the Cressida I christened her!

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2017, 20:15 
...and being forgiven
...and being forgiven

I've moved this comment to the St Mary's thread below. :banghead:

Last edited by MaryR on 25 Jun 2017, 15:36, edited 1 time in total.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2017, 11:22 

'... a sofa which appeared to have strayed out of a Regency drawing-room and to have suffered considerably in the move...'

Re-reading - after a fairly short interval - all six of the Elizabeth Fair novels published by Furrowed Middlebrow. This is from The Native Heath. I've just reread my three favourites: Bramton Wick, Landscape in Sunlight, and The Mingham Air, and am embarking on the remaining three which I liked, but didn't instantly love as I did the other three.
Elizabeth Fair is a great find and my only complaint is that from the mid-sixties until her death in 1997 she didn't write any more books!

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2017, 19:46 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

I've now officially given up on Ngaio Marsh's Roderick Alleyn books... goodness me but that man is a whingebucket! I shall stick with Agatha Christie, Dorothy L. Sayers and Patricia Wentworth after this.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2017, 12:09 

Abbey wrote:
I've now officially given up on Ngaio Marsh's Roderick Alleyn books... goodness me but that man is a whingebucket! I shall stick with Agatha Christie, Dorothy L. Sayers and Patricia Wentworth after this.

And Margery Allingham? My favourite. I agree about the Alleyn books; I liked the tv series even though people told me it was rubbish compared to the books. Not for me, the series was much better, though I'd have preferred to have Simon Williams all through and not just the pilot.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2017, 18:12 

Is he a wingebucket? Can't say I have ever noticed that about him. I quite enjoy them....

While we are on krimis, I very much like the George, and later George and Dominic, Felse books by Ellis Peters....and also the Henry Tibbett series by Patricia Moyes.

The Hilary Tamar books by Sarah Caudwell. You get the added mystery of never finding out whether Hilary is male or female...

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2017, 00:58 
Promising to do better
Promising to do better

cestina wrote:
The Hilary Tamar books by Sarah Caudwell. You get the added mystery of never finding out whether Hilary is male or female...

I've been trying to remember the surname of the character/ name of author and, lo and behold! there is the answer provided by the omniscient CBB!

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2017, 01:37 
Dashing off for your part in the play

Also on krimis, I really like Peter Tremayne's series featuring Sister Fidelma (thank you, MaryR!) mostly set in Ireland in the Early Christian era; they are fascinating, though I do find I need to refer to the cast of characters in the front of each one in order to keep people's names straight.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2017, 15:38 
...and being forgiven
...and being forgiven

Elder in Ontario wrote:
Also on krimis, I really like Peter Tremayne's series featuring Sister Fidelma (thank you, MaryR!) mostly set in Ireland in the Early Christian era; they are fascinating, though I do find I need to refer to the cast of characters in the front of each one in order to keep people's names straight.

:lol: :lol: How could I keep such a good series to myself, Elder? :wink: And what about Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series, set in Quebec and surroundings, which I know you like as much as I do, though they do require one to give the little grey cells a good workout at times. :roll:

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2017, 15:44 

MaryR wrote:
Elder in Ontario wrote:

:lol: :lol: How could I keep such a good series to myself, Elder? :wink: And what about Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series, set in Quebec and surroundings, which I know you like as much as I do, though they do require one to give the little grey cells a good workout at times. :roll:

I do indeed enjoy Inspector Gamache, and I know the author has been quite surprised at how popular the series has become outside Canada.

On a lighter front, I'm currently giggling over Winifred Peck's Arrest the Bishop? I also have several of Elizabeth Fair's titles on the electronic TBR pile and am looking forward to reading them.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2017, 17:15 
Battling with Matey
Battling with Matey

I'm another Inspector Gamache fan. I got very excited when on holiday in Québec City two years ago to find myself passing the Québec Literary and Historical Society building (the anglophone library in Bury your Dead) which I *knew* was real but which somehow sounded too implausible to believe to be real until I saw it with my own eyes!

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2017, 18:24 

I had not heard of this series so have bookmarked it for when it comes down a bit for kindle....

I forgot to mention one of my favourites - Donna Leon's Inspector Brunetti. The meal descriptions are mouth-watering!

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2017, 21:24 

cestina wrote:
I had not heard of this series so have bookmarked it for when it comes down a bit for kindle....

I forgot to mention one of my favourites - Donna Leon's Inspector Brunetti. The meal descriptions are mouth-watering!

I 'met' Inspector Brunetti last year when staying with my daughter, who has several of the books, and really enjoyed them. I think you'll enjoy Inspector Gamache, Cestina. A new hardback, Glass Houses, is due out next month, so perhaps some of the others will appear at lower Kindle prices then, too.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2017, 21:27 
...and being forgiven
...and being forgiven

cestina wrote:

Both Brunetti and the food are scrummy! :D He's one of my favourites, too.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2017, 23:43 
Hearing strange noises in the night
Hearing strange noises in the night

I love the descriptions of food and Venice in the Brunetti books, but the last few don't really have much plot to them. Her earlier ones are genuine whodunnits, but nothing much seems to happen in the more recent ones.

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 477 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. Recommendations
It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 21:10