Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. Recommendations
It is currently 21 Nov 2019, 18:07

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 580 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: What We're Reading III
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2015, 19:35 
Sale declared Open!
Sale declared Open!

Not exactly what I'm reading, more what my autistic 7 year old grandson is reading: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andy-Griffiths/e/B001H6MN4M Australian author particularly good for young boys and good for reluctant readers too. Anyone with delicate sensibilities should look the other way as the words: bum, fart, poo and willy feature repeatedly. Pretty much guaranteed to produce gales of laughter and cries of More from even the most reluctant reader!

And a good idea for Christmas (don't shoot me, I do my shopping early...)

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2015, 02:11 
Buying your school uniform

I just finished reading The Martian by Andy Weir.
I enjoyed it from start to finish and I can't wait to see the movie.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2015, 10:46 
Sale declared Open!
Sale declared Open!

Reading 'All Change', the last Cazalet novel. Meeting old friends - loving it.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2015, 11:51 
Donating it to the Childrens' Ward
Donating it to the Childrens' Ward

sealpuppy wrote:
Reading 'All Change', the last Cazalet novel. Meeting old friends - loving it.

Mum read this first (borrowed it from a friend) and is now reading the rest of the series in order. She asked for the second one when she called round earlier. She was taken aback by how horrified I was that she read All Change first.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2015, 14:25 
Sale declared Open!
Sale declared Open!

Think I might buy the Cazalet dvd - I hadn't read the books before I saw that so Hugh is always Hugh Bonneville in my head.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2015, 14:37 
Sale declared Open!
Sale declared Open!

JustJenn wrote:

I read this recently and found it was good.

It was originally released chapter-by-chapter on the Weir's website and then self-published on Kindle. I was concerned because it was definitely a cult book whose fame had been spread by word-of-mouth. Usually I don't like those sort of things so I was pleasantly surprised when I did enjoy it.

I am not a film-watcher though perhaps I'd be surprised there too!

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2015, 11:34 
Discovering you have to be trilingual

Victoria wrote:
JustJenn wrote:

I read this recently and found it was good.

It was originally released chapter-by-chapter on the Weir's website and then self-published on Kindle. I was concerned because it was definitely a cult book whose fame had been spread by word-of-mouth. Usually I don't like those sort of things so I was pleasantly surprised when I did enjoy it.

I am not a film-watcher though perhaps I'd be surprised there too!

I like Matt Damon and all things Martian, so it sounds like my perfect film and the trailer certainly makes it look good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej3ioOneTy8

Although I've been fooled by trailers before!

As to reading, I just picked up 'Murder Most Unladylike' by Robin Stevens. I've heard good things about this, and I can't resist a book which has a map at the front!

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2015, 12:58 
Hemming sheets
Hemming sheets

Following on from the discussion on " Books that mention Chalet-related places" in South Shields to Switzerland , I found and downloaded Helen McInnes's Above Suspicion on Kindle (£2.99) and I've just finished it. I'd really recommend it, particularly if you like stories in the John Buchan vein or were disappointed with Partners in Crime on the TV recently. Roughly half of the action takes place in Innsbruck, Pertisau or the surrounding area in 1939.

"And there was Pertisau, smiling with the sun on its green meadows to welcome them. It wasn't the usual village. As the road curved into the bay in which it lay and they could see it for the first time, it gave the appearance of being a landscape architect's dream. At the edge of the shore, divided from it by the last of the road, were the hotels and chalets. Behind these, in the large sweep of meadows stretching back to the wooded mountains, lay the peasant homes like a scattered flock of sheep. A very small, neat pleasure boat was taking on passengers at the small neat pier. Everything was neat, even the arrangements of the flags fluttering from the bathing houses on their own part of the shore, or the pattern of striped umbrellas shadowing the tables in front of the hotels. It was, self-admittedly, an artificial tourist centre, but its smallness and neatness gave it much charm, and some dignity. The forests and mountains were very real, anyway. The valleys between the mountains converged on Pertisau like the lines of a sundial. There would be good walking and pleasant climbing, thought Richard with some satisfaction."

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2015, 14:10 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

Have just ordered, Chattie, thanks.

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2015, 15:50 
End of term...again
End of term...again

chattie wrote:
Following on from the discussion on " Books that mention Chalet-related places" in South Shields to Switzerland , I found and downloaded Helen McInnes's Above Suspicion on Kindle (£2.99) and I've just finished it. I'd really recommend it, particularly if you like stories in the John Buchan vein or were disappointed with Partners in Crime on the TV recently. Roughly half of the action takes place in Innsbruck, Pertisau or the surrounding area in 1939.

"And there was Pertisau, smiling with the sun on its green meadows to welcome them. It wasn't the usual village. As the road curved into the bay in which it lay and they could see it for the first time, it gave the appearance of being a landscape architect's dream. At the edge of the shore, divided from it by the last of the road, were the hotels and chalets. Behind these, in the large sweep of meadows stretching back to the wooded mountains, lay the peasant homes like a scattered flock of sheep. A very small, neat pleasure boat was taking on passengers at the small neat pier. Everything was neat, even the arrangements of the flags fluttering from the bathing houses on their own part of the shore, or the pattern of striped umbrellas shadowing the tables in front of the hotels. It was, self-admittedly, an artificial tourist centre, but its smallness and neatness gave it much charm, and some dignity. The forests and mountains were very real, anyway. The valleys between the mountains converged on Pertisau like the lines of a sundial. There would be good walking and pleasant climbing, thought Richard with some satisfaction."

Crossover time!!

Reminds me that I must finish The Jump Artist, which takes place around Innsbruck and Jenbach...

Outskirts Of The Twenties: Polari

Non-CS fic: Late Back (Good Omens)

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2015, 17:31 
Released!
Released!

I was an avid fan of hers in my teens and twenties, so perhaps I should go back to my youth and re-read them. :roll:

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2015, 15:34 
Sale declared Open!
Sale declared Open!

I've just read the first volume of MM Kaye's autobiography " The Sun in The Morning" which is about her childhood and adolescence.

Worth reading in its own right, it is also interesting from a CS point-of-view as her father worked in India for much of her childhood. Although it is earlier than the CS books (the "war" is WWI) many of the things that happen (for example, being separated from the eldest child because of the War and the problems with integration that caused afterwards) are related to the background of the Bettany family.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2015, 19:18 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

That sounds interesting.

I've just finished reading Elfrida Vipont's The Lark in the Morn. It's not a book I've ever read before, and I think it's going to be one of those special books which I'm going to reread and find more in it every time I do. I've been interested in the Society of Friends for a long time and the glimpses into their way of life and thought satisfy something inside me.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2015, 20:09 
Giving a Junior an order mark
Giving a Junior an order mark

I do know what you mean, Sellenger - and you have the pleasure of the rest of her related Haverard books to come.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2015, 20:37 
Sale declared Open!
Sale declared Open!

I'm currently re-reading the Tiffany Aching books and the Chronicles of St Mary's, but in between times I'm starting the Adelia Aguilar books again. If you haven't read Ariana Franklin's four fabulous, scholarly, exciting, violent and enormously satisfying books in the series - do try them. Beginning in the 1170s and Henry II is king : man who is prone to chew the carpet when he's upset - and he's seriously annoyed now!

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2015, 19:58 
Released!
Released!

Will second that, sealpuppy. Just so sad that there will be no more of them.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2015, 02:43 
Buying your school uniform

My mom just came back from England and part of the British swag was a copy of The Swallows and the Amazons.
Th last time I read that book was 35 years ago so I'm looking forward to re-reading it again.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2015, 23:05 
Lost!
Lost!

I picked up a copy of Jambusters which the ITV adapted earlier this year (Home Fires) about the WI in World War 2. Very interesting so far.

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2015, 00:22 
Made to feel very small
Made to feel very small

We just saw the first part of Home Fires on Sunday evening - definitely looks very interesting so far. I must admit I got quite a kick out of watching "Lady Rosamund" from Downton Abbey (I'm sorry, I can't recall the actress' name, :roll: but I'm sure most of you will know who I mean) picking up the pieces of the local WI after the President walked out in high dudgeon. I'm very tempted to buy the book, I must admit.

Edited to correct a typo.

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2015, 16:21 
Declaring it to have been the best term
Declaring it to have been the best term

Thoroughly enjoyed that when it was on. Looking forward to the second series.

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 580 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 29  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. Recommendations
It is currently 21 Nov 2019, 18:07