Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. Recommendations
It is currently 07 Dec 2019, 04:30

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 582 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: What We're Reading III
PostPosted: 07 Oct 2015, 18:51 
Sale declared Open!
Sale declared Open!

I'm glad it's coming back, the BBC has a track record of cancelling decent dramas (eg The Crimson Field which was a slow starter and just getting into it's stride) and keeping the rubbish, so it's great to see something enjoyable.

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2015, 21:18 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Home Fires is actually on ITV, which might explain it :lol:.

I was also sorry that the BBC cancelled The Crimson Field, especially after they did so much talking about showing First World War dramas during the centenary period.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2015, 22:44 
Sale declared Open!
Sale declared Open!

Alison H wrote:
Home Fires is actually on ITV, which might explain it :lol:.

I was also sorry that the BBC cancelled The Crimson Field, especially after they did so much talking about showing First World War dramas during the centenary period.

Oops! Tee-hee!

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2015, 11:14 
Presenting your school report

Just finished The Golden Age of Murder by Martin Edwards, which I really rather enjoyed.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2015, 12:50 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Abi wrote:
Just finished The Golden Age of Murder by Martin Edwards, which I really rather enjoyed.

Oh that looks interesting. I must keep an eye out for it to come down in price....

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2015, 22:27 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

These aren't published until next month - I can think of a few people who might get one for Christmas
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... ley+morris

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2015, 09:45 

Those look brilliant :lol:.

Maybe we could write a CS version? Ladybird guide to dormitory etiquette - sticking to bath rotas, "humping" the mattress :roll:, not borrowing other people's toiletries, packing your trunk according to Matey's Rules, etc. Ladybird guide to visiting Freudesheim.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2015, 12:23 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

Alison H wrote:
Those look brilliant :lol:.

Maybe we could write a CS version? Ladybird guide to dormitory etiquette - sticking to bath rotas, "humping" the mattress :roll:, not borrowing other people's toiletries, packing your trunk according to Matey's Rules, etc. Ladybird guide to visiting Freudesheim.

Excellent idea. How about a Ladybird guide to being a prefect - giving out unusual punishments, "putting the school first", ideas for the Sale, career choices (coming back to teach, how to meet doctors)? And of of course, how not to be a jellyfish?

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2015, 17:44 
Donating it to the Childrens' Ward

Alison H wrote:

The Ladybird guide to entertaining including ideas for sandwich fillings and party games.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2015, 18:16 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

Ooh yes, definitely need that one. I think it should include a chapter on how to use a stomach pump.

I can't help wondering whether Joey's seven pregnancies screwed up her tastebuds or whether she didn't have much sense of smell and therefore couldn't taste things properly. What would she have done without Anna to do all the cooking for her?

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2015, 19:09 

Sellenger wrote:
I can't help wondering whether Joey's seven pregnancies screwed up her tastebuds or whether she didn't have much sense of smell and therefore couldn't taste things properly. What would she have done without Anna to do all the cooking for her?

I see some of Joey's ideas as being not untypical of the time. There are some very funny articles by Elizabeth David about the free gifts and recipes sent to her by food companies who hoped she'd promote them. Ideas for the unexpected guest earned particular vitriol.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2015, 20:30 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

I remember watching Fanny Cradock and seeing some of the monstrosities that she cooked up in the '70s - horrible. Mind you, the idea of a peanut-butter and jam sandwich makes me feel ill - separately, fine, but together, no way.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2015, 10:19 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

I recently read Ianthe Jerrold's second golden age crime novel (she was apparently one of the first members of the detection club) and I really enjoyed it. I thought it was better than her first and I much preferred her style to my other recent discovery Annie Haynes of whom I guessed whodunit rather earlier.

Book blog: https://GiltAndDust.WordPress.com

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2015, 19:09 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

Spreeing, but it was a month ago so I figure it's okay.

I decided a while ago to do a LM Montgomery re-read and just finished Rilla. I just had to post because it's just so good. I've read it a few times now, but I just had to have a quick gush about it. It's so nice when you read a book and it's even better than you remembered.

I'm also finally reading Dorothy Sayers. Once I eventually got started I've flown through them, and am currently wading through Have His Carcase. I love Christie, but it's rather nice to see the characters developing from book to book.

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2015, 20:15 
Hemming sheets
Hemming sheets

I have just read, and thoroughly enjoyed "Best wishes, Sister B" by Fran Smith.
It is a lovely gentle, and very funny,book of a series of letters written by Sister Boniface, a nun at St Winifreda's, a convent in the fens, to Sister Emelda, a missionary in the Andes.
The book began as a series of letters written on the train into King's Cross, which the author then posted from the station to her husband, who was at home recovering from a stroke and in need of amusement.

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2015, 09:56 
Hemming sheets
Hemming sheets

brie wrote:
I decided a while ago to do a LM Montgomery re-read and just finished Rilla. I just had to post because it's just so good. I've read it a few times now, but I just had to have a quick gush about it. It's so nice when you read a book and it's even better than you remembered.

I started an LM Montgomery re-read just before going to Canada in the summer. I had only read Rilla once before and reached it this time just after I got back. I was in Ottawa on 1st July (Canada Day) and went to the Remembrance event held at the national War Memorial to commemorate the almost total annihilation of the Newfoundland Regiment on the first day of the Battle of the Somme, 99 years ago, as my great-uncle had also been killed that day. Reading Rilla after that, and after also having visited the Royal 22nd Regimental museum in the Citadel in Québec City, was terribly poignant and added to my realisation that this truly was a World War and not just a European one.

I am still finishing off the re-read - on to short stories now - but I think Rilla must now class as one of my favourite books.

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2015, 13:04 
Playing Impertinent Questions

Echoes Brie and Chattie - I did an LMM re-read in the year and was surprised how much I had forgotten and how much there was to enjoy. Rilla was my favourite too - it made me laugh and it made me cry - it was beautifully written and Rilla is a very real character.

SLOC and I visited the Somme battlefield sites some two years ago and as we went from memorial to memorial - Canadians, South Africans, Welsh, Australians etc, and cemeteries with Indian and Chinese graves - it really struck home that it truly was a World War.

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2015, 17:06 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

Island was always my favourite Anne when I was younger, but there really is something special about Rilla (i never read Rainbow Valley or Rilla until a few years ago).

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2015, 19:20 

I did a reread on a very long coachride in August. Rilla has always been one of my favourites. Anne of the Island is my favourite though.

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2015, 19:28 

I've never quite got into Anne... I prefer Emily, who is fab.

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 582 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 30  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. Recommendations
It is currently 07 Dec 2019, 04:30