Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. Recommendations
It is currently 05 Jun 2020, 20:17

Post subject: Other GO authors
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2020, 11:15 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

I can't imagine I'm the only person turning to comfort reading just now. I've been reading lots of golden age crime and children books recently. I'm thinking of turning back to some girls own soon- I've got Chudleigh Hold sitting beside me just now actually waiting to be re-read.

I wonder if anyone can recommend any other authors to try? Preferably ones who will be easy and cheap to source on ebay or for the kindle.

If anyone hasn't tried them I would heartily recommend Clare Mallory and Gwendoline Courtney--GGBP reprints and sometimes cheap second hand copies available.

I have read a couple of Catherine Christians which I enjoyed--they seem to be more guiding stories.

Bessie Marchants can be bought cheaply second hand and they have strong, independent female characters and exotic locations. Unfortunately those exotic locations often come with terminology and opinions that can be very hard to read today.

Book blog: https://GiltAndDust.WordPress.com

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Other GO authors
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2020, 12:34 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I like Bessie Marchant :D .

You've probably already tried these, but I'd recommend Laura Ingalls Wilder (now available on Kindle) and Lorna Hill.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2020, 14:11 
Having Miss Annersley for Civics

Not entirely GO, but I'm assuming that you know about Antonia Forest's books, brie - some easier to source than others. And not entirely GO either, but Mabel Esther Allan (and noms de plume including Jean Estoril) was such a prolific author that you'd be unlucky not to find something of hers that you liked. And Katherine L Oldmeadow, too.

Then there's always Mrs George de Horne Vaizey, who seems to have been one of EMBD's own girlhood favourites, and lots of hers are available via Project Gutenberg and other similar sites, online for no cost at all. Tom and Some Other Girls is a good place to start, and has some familiar moments for CS readers.

Yes, I like Bessie Marchant - you do have to read her as being of her period, though.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2020, 09:07 
Coming top in the form
Coming top in the form

Angela Brazil -some of her books are free on Kobo so should be available on Kindle

Some of Joanna Cannan's pony books are on Kindle. Make sure you get the spelling right as there is also a Joanna Cannon.........

Dorita Fairly Bruce s also worth looking out for on Ebay. She writes about several schools. I like the Springdale ones. Some were issued by GGBP

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2020, 14:29 
Being taken down a peg or two
Being taken down a peg or two

Internet Archive is a free resource for books and have a few Mabel Esther Allan, Lorna Hill, EBD, Gwendoline Courtney, Noel Streatfeild and others. You can borrow for two weeks and download onto lap top and possibly iphone.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2020, 11:30 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

Thanks for these replies. I went through a load of the De Vaizeys a few years ago- I agree EBD must have read them! Strangely enough I just read Little House in the Big Woods the other day.

I would like to try Mabel Esther Allan's books but there are so many I wouldn't know where to begin. I've never heard of Internet archive-I'll check it out.

Thank you!

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2020, 14:03 
Arguing from cause to effect
Arguing from cause to effect

No strictly speaking GO but I really enjoyed reading Anne Digby’s Trebizon series

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2020, 16:23 

brie wrote:
I would like to try Mabel Esther Allan's books but there are so many I wouldn't know where to begin.
Well, there are quite a lot of school stories, and quite a lot of ballet stories (counting the ones she wrote as Jean Estoril) and quite a lot of others, it has to be admitted. Not sure there are any on kindle, but there are quite a few on ebay. and some GGBP reprints.

I like the two 'Ballet Family' ones best these days, somehow, and even if you're not a fan of ballet books, there isn't that much of the ballet school in those - they're more about the family and their niece/cousin Joan who comes to live with them.

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 May 2020, 03:09 
Stumped by Lower Four's quiz
Stumped by Lower Four's quiz

There's a ton of Brazil on Project Gutenberg. Also Lucy Maud Montgomery, which is a favourite comfort read of mine, and Understood Betsy by Dorothy Canfield Fisher. If you haven't read the last, it's a fantastic book that's amazingly relevant for modern child raising, in spite of having been written over a hundred years ago.

If you're in a Life+50 copyright country (like Canada and Australia), there's a lot of great Juvenile stuff on Faded Page, including Dorothy Sayers and a lot of other golden age mysteries, the Little House books, the Narnia books, and the Swallows and Amazons series (the first two minus illustrations, due to copyright). EJO is also appearing regularly there (she cam into public domain in 2018), and EBD's are coming (having reached public domain at the end of last year), so it's worth keeping an eye on.

In other genres, one recent book that's hit my comfort reading list is The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison, which is amazing. The Wayfarers Trilogy by Becky Chambers is also a good, cozy read, as is some stuff by T. Kingfisher (except the Twisted Ones, which is really creepy). I tend to go back to Mercedes Lackey for comfort reads, but generally only the stuff published before about 2000. Also Lois McMaster Bujold, Tamora Pierce and Patricia Wrede.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 May 2020, 11:02 
Scarlet fever!
Scarlet fever!

Noreen wrote:
brie wrote:
I would like to try Mabel Esther Allan's books but there are so many I wouldn't know where to begin.
Well, there are quite a lot of school stories, and quite a lot of ballet stories (counting the ones she wrote as Jean Estoril) and quite a lot of others, it has to be admitted. Not sure there are any on kindle, but there are quite a few on ebay. and some GGBP reprints.

I like the two 'Ballet Family' ones best these days, somehow, and even if you're not a fan of ballet books, there isn't that much of the ballet school in those - they're more about the family and their niece/cousin Joan who comes to live with them.

Her school stories are mostly about progressive boarding schools, some co-ed, set in interesting locations - Skye, Isle of Man, North Wales, Chilterns, Cotswolds She is very good on "sense of place" even if she renames somewhere it's instantly recognisable (eg Francaster is Chester). There are also some good family stories, again great sense of place. Her later books are more formulaic adventure/romance, usually ending with the heroine age about 19/20 engaged to the hero, who has probably rescued her from some danger, usually abroad somewhere, again good descriptions of place.

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 May 2020, 06:59 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

Thanks for these suggestions. Montgomery is one of my favourite comfort reads as well. I'll need to have a look at Understood Betsy. I haven't read any of Mercedes Lackey's books in a while but I did enjoy the fairytale re-tellings I have read.

This just makes me want to give Mabel Esther Allan's books a try even more. They sound so interesting.

Off to look into these ideas. Thanks!

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 May 2020, 08:31 

Good hunting, brie, and anybody else doing some literary exploration...

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. Recommendations
It is currently 05 Jun 2020, 20:17