Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. Recommendations
It is currently 02 Mar 2021, 20:50

Post subject: Clare Mallory
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2016, 06:59 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

Clare Mallory has been one of my favourite discoveries of the last few years, and I am enjoying working my way through all of her books ( I finally managed to get Merry Again at a reasonable price so I have just started that trilogy). However, I keep finding new books turning up on Amazon. Admittedly, I have been looking at her bibliography on Wikipedia, which is not necessarily the most reliable of sources, but I suddenly came across Candy Neville a few months ago and now there is another title listed on Amazon called Anna Charlotte. Has anyone heard of this? It is currently unavailable on Amazon but just how many Clare Mallory books are there?!

Book blog: https://GiltAndDust.WordPress.com

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Clare Mallory
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2016, 11:34 
Having Miss Annersley for Civics
Having Miss Annersley for Civics

Can't answer your question brie but Leith and Friends has been one of my favourite GO books since I was a child....

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2016, 13:13 
Being rude to your sheepdog

brie wrote:
Clare Mallory has been one of my favourite discoveries of the last few years, and I am enjoying working my way through all of her books ( I finally managed to get Merry Again at a reasonable price so I have just started that trilogy). However, I keep finding new books turning up on Amazon. Admittedly, I have been looking at her bibliography on Wikipedia, which is not necessarily the most reliable of sources, but I suddenly came across Candy Neville a few months ago and now there is another title listed on Amazon called Anna Charlotte. Has anyone heard of this? It is currently unavailable on Amazon but just how many Clare Mallory books are there?!

Anna Charlotte is a fresh one, I think its due to be published in October. I love Clare Mallory, especially her Merry books, and Juliet. Can't wait for this one!

'Well,call me Aunt Fanny on my tombstone!'

Rosalie in 'Theodora...'

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2016, 13:28 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

So there is another one. How exciting! I love Juliet as well, also Winwood and League of the Smallest.

I'm working my way through the Merry books for the first time just now, I've just started Merry again.

I will need to try Leith again Cestina, I never fell in love with that one in quite the same way as some of the others.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2016, 18:01 
Playing in a Lacrosse match

Both Candy Nevill and Anna Charlotte were found in manuscript form after Clare Mallory's death - neither had been published before. Margin Notes published Candy Nevill in 2012, and are scheduled to publish Anna Charlotte this year. They also published Tony Against the Prefects last year; it was first published in 1949 and I think is the only one of her published titles not republished by GGBP.

I had never "met" Clare Mallory's books before GGBP started reprinting them, but I really enjoy them, especially the Merry trilogy. I think I found Leith and Friends the most challenging too, but warmed to it on further reading.

At the risk of blowing my own trumpet, I wrote about Clare Mallory and her books for the FOCS Ripping Reads supplements; my piece was published in two parts, in the May and August 2016 issues (nos. 17 and 18).

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2016, 23:03 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

I find Clary Mallory very mixed. I like the Merry books and Juliet Overseas very much, also quite like Leith and friends and New house at Winwood, not too bothered about the rest. One I really do not like is The two Linties, only have a photocopy, which I've kept because I'm a completist!

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2016, 06:32 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

Elder in Ontario wrote:

At the risk of blowing my own trumpet, I wrote about Clare Mallory and her books for the FOCS Ripping Reads supplements; my piece was published in two parts, in the May and August 2016 issues (nos. 17 and 18).

Thanks for all that info Elder, and you piece sounds like it would have been really interesting.

I haven't read the Two Lintiea yet Ivonhenry, it doesn't sound too promising!

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2016, 10:44 
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

ivohenry wrote:
I find Clary Mallory very mixed. I like the Merry books and Juliet Overseas very much, also quite like Leith and friends and New house at Winwood, not too bothered about the rest. One I really do not like is The two Linties, only have a photocopy, which I've kept because I'm a completist!

I really like all the ones that GGPB did, especially the Merry books. I'm not so keen on the most recent 3 that Margin Notes did. Definitely didn't like the Two Linties and I'm not bothered about Candy Neville or Tony Against the Prefects.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2016, 12:29 
Blushing when a friend mentions a doctor
Blushing when a friend mentions a doctor

Catherine wrote:
ivohenry wrote:

I really like all the ones that GGPB did, especially the Merry books. I'm not so keen on the most recent 3 that Margin Notes did. Definitely didn't like the Two Linties and I'm not bothered about Candy Neville or Tony Against the Prefects.

I liked Candy Neville though wanted to bang her family's respective heads together - especially her father. :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2016, 13:06 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

I quite liked Candy Neville but I'm not sure I'll re-read it often, which I do every couple of years most of the school stories.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2016, 14:54 

ivohenry wrote:
I quite liked Candy Neville but I'm not sure I'll re-read it often, which I do every couple of years most of the school stories.

I liked Candy Nevill and have read it a number of times, but with an ever-increasing wish to bop the rest of Candy's family's heads together on each re-reading!! Thank goodness for Ruby's unfailing support of her.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. Recommendations
It is currently 02 Mar 2021, 20:50