Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. Recommendations
It is currently 28 May 2022, 08:59

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 961 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 49  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2006, 18:00 
Sale declared Open!
Sale declared Open!

Nina wrote:
I've just bought Attention All Shipping because someone on here or LJ recommended it. And because I had £7 worth of tokens and it was only £8.99. It's a travel book about all the places in the shipping forecast, and although I've only read the first chapter I think I'm going to enjoy it.

How fine. I have that on my must-read-pile and will now trot away and read it. It looks fabbity.

Top | End

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2006, 23:00 
Being told to stand on your own two feet

I spent two weeks in the caravan reading pretty much solidly. We always take a huge amount of books with us anyway, but then go to second hand book shops and buy almost as many again. I found 'Death in Berlin' by M.M Kaye, whose 'Death in Kashmir' I love. Also, a 1920s book on etiquette written by a Lady Troubridge. If anyone needs advice on serving dinner for eight with only two servants, or has royalty visiting and needs to know what to do during the toasts, I'm your girl.

I read several early CS books whilst on holiday: Rivals, New, War and Highland Twins (which I read aloud to Mary, doing the accents and everything, until Shiena, Flora and Fauna had a three page conversation and I couldn't take it any more and reverted to my own voice). I am also currently reading The Da Vinci Code. The way I see it, unless you are offended by the premise, it's the book equivalent of a big, schlocky action movie. Daft, implausible and hard to put down. So if you'll excuse me, I believe the "hulking albino" is about to do something sinister, and Robert Langdon has just realised something...

Top | End

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2006, 04:44 
Going off with your particular coterie
Going off with your particular coterie

The MM Kaye Death in... books are brilliant. I think Death in Cyprus was my favourite, but this has made me want to read them all again!

Top | End

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2006, 09:14 

Fatima wrote:
The MM Kaye Death in... books are brilliant. I think Death in Cyprus was my favourite, but this has made me want to read them all again!

I know! Fabulous mysteries and a great sense of place and time, and so romantic too! What could be better? I think I may go and potter on Amazon and see if I can find Cyprus now. I got The Far Pavillions out of the library, but it was so huge, and I couldn't face lugging it around in my bag for weeks (because that's how long it would have taken to read it, and I only ever fancied reading it in cafes or on buses). Maybe I'll have another go soon...

Top | End

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2006, 18:23 
Attending the Fifth Form Evening

I have just finished To my Daughter in France by Stephanie and Barbara Keating, which was excellent. Everything else I pick up seems mediocre after that - including: A Round Heeled Woman by Jane Juska and Last Witness by Jill Hoffman.

Top | End

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2006, 11:38 

pim wrote:
Ahh, it's so nice to now think "what am I reading?" without having to dredge up titles of things I was being forced to read at uni. *sighs happily*

I know exactly how you feel Pim!

Although I have realised since starting work in a library how many good books there are and how little time you have to read them :) I have noted lots of books I want to borrow but it's taking me a looong time to get through them as the only time I have to read now is in bed so only get through a few pages then drop asleep :lol:

Howsumdever, my current reading is:

Early Days- Miss Read. A lovely light hearted look at her early life, doesn't require any thinking about which is just what I need sometimes.

The Victorian House- Judith Flanners. Only *just* started this one but am finding it very interesting so far.

The Picture of Dorian Gray- Oscar Wilde. I keep stalling with this one, not because I'm not enjoying it but just because I don't have time for it.

Books I dip into-
The Literary Companion- not sure who it's by but a great little book filled with facts and quotes-serious and funny- about authors and books.

Notes from a Big Country- Bill Bryson. One of my favourite writers, and have read this many times but always find something that makes me laugh.

Paupers and Pig Killers- The Diary of William Holland. Extracts from the diary of a Somerset Parson who lived in the early 19th Century. Fascinating, and funny in places.

The Diary of a Country Parson- James Woodforde. He lived in the late 18th Century and also fascinating although a more gentle read that William Holland who could be quite brutal about people considering he was a parson :lol:

I also noticed at the library the other day a book called Darcy and Elizabeth- a follow on to P&P written by somebody whose name I can't remember now about their marriage. Just wondered if anyone had read it?
Also, speaking of Jane Austen, I saw a series of fictional books which involved various thrilling and ghostly adventures with her as the main character sleuthing by the looks of it, which seemed a bit bizarre to me :lol:

Top | End

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2006, 12:42 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Steph, not sure which follow-on it was you saw but there are a few. There's one which is mainly about Georgiana Darcy, which I think is called Pemberley, and there's a really stupid one in which it turns out that Mr Bingley has a long-lost child, and I think there's another one as well.

Not sure what other people think about this but, whilst I like the CS fill-ins, I tend to find that sequels to really classic "one-off" books like Pride and Prejudice, written years later by someone totally different, tend to disappoint. Someone bought me a "sequel" to Jane Eyre which I really didn't enjoy, and I thought that Scarlett (the "sequel" to Gone With The Wind) was really silly.

Could just be me though!

Top | End

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2006, 13:51 
Having a say in the Sale theme

'Tomb of the Golden Bird' by Elizabeth Peters. The latest in the Amelia Peabody series, well worth reading.

Top | End

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2006, 16:02 
First Lesson
First Lesson

Alison H wrote:
Steph, not sure which follow-on it was you saw but there are a few. There's one which is mainly about Georgiana Darcy, which I think is called Pemberley, and there's a really stupid one in which it turns out that Mr Bingley has a long-lost child, and I think there's another one as well.

Not sure what other people think about this but, whilst I like the CS fill-ins, I tend to find that sequels to really classic "one-off" books like Pride and Prejudice, written years later by someone totally different, tend to disappoint. Someone bought me a "sequel" to Jane Eyre which I really didn't enjoy, and I thought that Scarlett (the "sequel" to Gone With The Wind) was really silly.

Could just be me though!

There's quite a few Jane Austen follow-ons around. Some are better than others, some are even very enjoyable, although none of them are 'as good as the original', which is to be expected. I read one, can't remember which it was, but it may well have been Pemberley, and quite enjoyed it. I've also read Sandition, which was left unfinished by Jane Austen and completed by someone who calls themselves 'Another Lady' - that was a good read, though perhaps it helps that the original was unfinished.

"All young ladies are accomplished. They sing, they draw, they dance, speak French and German, cover screens and I know not what." (Mr. Bingley, P&P) - Well, I'm half way there; can't dance, but does anyone know how to cover a screen?

Top | End

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2006, 19:56 

Emma Tennant wrote 'Pemberley' and 'An Unequal Marriage'. I didn't think they were very good, really.

Top | End

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jul 2006, 20:21 
First Lesson
First Lesson

Talking about fill-ins and sequels, I really enjoyed Rebecca's Tale by Sally Beauman, telling the story from the pov of a friend of Max de Winter's looking back on the past (I think, it's ages since I read it).

Over the weekend (while procrastinating from housework!) I read State of the Union by Douglas Kennedy, which was great; The Accidental by Ali Smith which I didn't like, and started Stately Pursuits by Katie Fforde which is nice and quite amusing.

Top | End

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jul 2006, 20:23 

State of the Union was wonderful Becky - I also read it recently. Have you tried The Pursuit of Happiness?

Top | End

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jul 2006, 20:57 
First Lesson
First Lesson

Yes, I really enjoyed the Pursuit of Happiness too and I'll look for his other books next Saturday when I go back to the library - that'll keep my house dirty for another weekend then! :D

Top | End

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Jul 2006, 21:20 

Happy reading! I couldn't put the Pursuit of Happiness down. Am currently reading PD James' Murder Room, which seems pretty good so far.

Top | End

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2006, 17:22 
Agonising over your Latin prep
Agonising over your Latin prep

I love this thread - it's so inspiring!

Am currently about to pick up Janie Steps In, having finished JOLR just today *sniffles a bit*

Top | End

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2006, 20:09 

Well, I finished 'The Da Vinci Code' over the weekend. So daft. Now I feel I should be reading something a little more substantial to address the cosmic balance. Like 'Imogen' by Jilly Cooper maybe.

I really should make myself a Must Read Pile, I know there are lots of books I've been meaning to read, but they're scattered throughout the house, probably stuck at the back of one of my many double-stacked bookcases.

A slight problem for me is that a lot of the books I want to read are, in my head, wintery books. Can anyone recommend me a good book for summer baths and lounging around the garden?

Top | End

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2006, 21:31 

Lizzie, I found Plum Syke's books very funny and the perfect trashy summer read.

I've just finished A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian, which I didn't really enjoy but for some reason couldn't put down. Very funny in places but also very cringe-worthy.

Top | End

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2006, 21:45 
Admiring Tom's latest effort
Admiring Tom's latest effort

Jaspar Fforde- The Fourth Bear
Jack Sprat and the Nursery Crime division are back!

Top | End

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2006, 00:27 
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress

a Harry Potter read through
Bede's "The ecclesiastical history of the English People" and
"The Call for Women Bishops" which is edited by one of the priests at my church. For all interested parties, the latter comes highly recommended.

Top | End

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2006, 11:31 
Playing the competitions
Playing the competitions

Rebel at the CS - doing a re-read through, inspired by getting a couple of the HBs recently.

Also just bought loads of easy summer reads.

However, my summer challenge (which I am looking forward to, I think) is The Bible - purely as I thought that I ought to, not because it is a religious text necessarily. I have a firend who has read most of this type of religious text, but I am not copying her. As it is the book that has sold the most copies (I don;t think HP has beaten it yet :wink: ) I figured that I really ought to read it properly rather than the bits and pieces I got when I went to Sunday School and church as a child.

Any suggestions on the most accurate to the aramaic/hebrew/greek 'original' would be greatly appreciated - I need to buy one! :roll: I will let you know how I get on. I think it may be more difficult than Shakespeare, Dickens or Umberto Eco!

The music never stops!! :blow:

Top | End

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 961 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 49  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. Recommendations
It is currently 28 May 2022, 08:59