Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 17 Aug 2018, 00:38

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: April whinges - please whinge away in here!
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2018, 21:13 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

Sigh, the shoulder saga rumbles on...

My Gp said he would phone me once he got the official results of the scan he (unwisely, see my last rant) sent me for. Three and a bit weeks post scan I'd heard nothing so I rang the surgery today... The results were emailed to the wrong doctor :banghead: So the secretary has redirected them and hopefully I will get a call soon.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2018, 06:42 
Donating it to the Childrens' Ward

Exile - how frustrating! I hope you receive your phone call today.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2018, 18:24 
Dashing off for your part in the play

Hope you get the call soon, Exile.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2018, 20:35 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

He called today :D

Ultrasound found nothing at all. So now he wants me to have an X-ray - which is fine by me as I can get it at the local hospital, which is a fifteen minute walk away, rather than having to trail over to the big hospital. I've rung them and got an appointment next week :D

However, nothing is simple where this saga is concerned... Not only can he not send me to the consultant without jumping through various hoops; he also can't automatically send me back to the same consultant :twisted: I would have to go through the choose and book thing again and cross my fingers that I get the same bloke. Which is ridiculous frankly, why is the one thing I don't get any choice over is the thing that really matters?

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2018, 20:47 
Coming top in the form
Coming top in the form

Glad they called exile! Have you tried mentioning that to PALS? They might be able to raise it within the hospital...

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2018, 08:41 
Order Mark!
Order Mark!

I have just been rejected for another job. I must be unemployable in libraries after 9 years away if I can't even get work as a casual replacement library assistant, despite being a qualified librarian. And I started applying for jobs more suitable to my qualifications and experience but didn't even get interviewed for those. I guess I will have to look elsewhere for work. :(

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2018, 12:14 

Joanne wrote:
I have just been rejected for another job. I must be unemployable in libraries after 9 years away if I can't even get work as a casual replacement library assistant, despite being a qualified librarian. And I started applying for jobs more suitable to my qualifications and experience but didn't even get interviewed for those. I guess I will have to look elsewhere for work. :(

I'm so sorry to hear that Joanne - it sounds totally ridiculous! I hope you find a job soon that you want and will be appreciated in.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2018, 13:43 
Lamenting the amount of work

Joanne wrote:

This may or may not be relevant to your situation, and the way things are in NZ, but after a similar number of years away from library work - having been a self-employed bookseller for the intervening time - I became a medical receptionist at our local GP surgery. My people skills from working in Public Libraries - I too am a qualified librarian - were obviously transferable, and precision in filing and retrieving patient records has definite parallels in shelving and retrieving books. I found it very worthwhile and satisfying, and worked there part-time for nearly 10 years until official retirement age [I had frozen my local government pension, which became payable at 60, and tax situation being as it is, would have lost most of my earnings in income tax if I had continued working.]

So maybe there is another 'public service' avenue you could explore?

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2018, 18:56 

Joanne wrote:

Sorry to hear this, Joanne. Hugs.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2018, 03:52 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

Joanne wrote:

This is an Australian viewpoint, but might be transferable to NZ - you many not have been selected because the recruiters thought that you would be overqualified and wouldn't be available long-term (i.e. you would leave the casual position as soon as you found a better job elsewhere).

There's also the possibility that (assuming a librarian was responsible for selecting the person for the post) that they may feel intimidated by your experience and training, and don't want a subordinate who may know as much, if not more, as they do.

Neither of these possible reasons helps you get a job, but please don't feel that your skills are worthless on the job market.

Good luck!

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2018, 07:03 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

What bythebrook said. I remember having that problem when leaving university - I'd have taken any job, but kept being told that I was overqualified and would be off as soon as something better came along. I know it's no consolation, but it really isn't you.

I don't know what the situation is there, but a friend who's a librarian has had trouble finding work because of cuts to library services due to government spending cuts. Again, it doesn't help, but it really isn't anything personal, just too many people looking for too few jobs, not that there's any issue at all with her and her skills. As abbeybufo said, is there any related area that you could look in?

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2018, 08:01 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Sorry to hear that, Joanne, and paws crossed that things improve. WTAS (what they all said)!

I think there is also something of a move in both libraries and museums in the UK (and probably elsewhere too), to perceive anyone over about twenty-five, especially if they have professional qualifications, as being 'expensive' - not necessarily in terms of what they're actually paid as salary, but what their benefits package might have to be, and what their professional spending habits might be (e g some books are too old to slap on a scanner, they need flat-bed photography; printer cartridges need replacing BEFORE documents become unreadable; we need more reference books) - stupid stuff, but there it is. And since it's become flavour of the decade to appoint heads of institutions who come from other backgrounds, they prefer to have staff as ignorant as they are themselves, rather than being grateful for the expertise.

PS I know it's not that simple, but is there anything voluntary you could do one day a week? It always seems to go down well on CVs...

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2018, 10:54 
Putting up a good show
Putting up a good show

Joanne wrote:

So sorry to hear that, Joanne. Don't give up hope. I'm 6 months into an admin job that I got after nearly 3 years of unemployment and I love it.

Looking at my CV, most people would say that I was overqualified and experienced. (It's a fairly lowly position and I have a degree plus over 20 years of experience working in offices.)

I have a slight advantage in that, although I don't consider myself disabled, I have a long-term medical condition, which is classed as a disability under UK employment law, so if I declare it on the application form/my CV, I'm guaranteed an interview under UK law, if I meet the basic requirements of the job. But even so, I'd lost count of the number of interviews that I'd had before I was offered this job - so much so that it became a running joke among my friends, when I had another interview.

The job is at the local University campus, and although I had no previous experience of working in HE, I've found that my experience in HR and the people skills I gained through working for an international charity have most definitely been transferable alongside my office experience.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Aug 2018, 12:06 

I too was going to suggest something voluntary, in particular the Citizens Advice Bureau service which I know exists in NZ.

Librarian skills are eminently transferable to advice work and although one may start as a volunteer, there are many paid jobs to be had in the service in the UK and I imagine that the same may apply in NZ.

Worth checking out anyway. Good luck!

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2018, 04:46 
Order Mark!
Order Mark!

Thank you all for your sympathy and suggestions. I certainly am prepared to look wider than libraries, it has just happened that the local library service has recently been restructured so they have been advertising quite a few jobs. I will just keep looking around and hopefully there will be something I can do!

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2018, 17:11 
Coming top in the form
Coming top in the form

Hugs to everyone who needs them! Joanne, sorry to hear that. My impression, from what I read and from friends' and family's experiences, is that it's very tough there across the board currently. Good luck!

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2018, 15:35 
Having a say in the Sale theme
Having a say in the Sale theme

It's happening everywhere.

Expertise and experience are seen as being too expensive, so basically, people don't have a chance if they are well-qualified.

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2018, 20:17 

Places that make you spend ages entering your account details on the phone, listening to a load of irritating options, pressing buttons for the option you want and answering stupid security questions, and then tell you that they are closed and you will have to ring back in the morning :banghead: :banghead: . OK, not everywhere is open in the evenings, but why not just say that first?

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2018, 20:53 
Spending time in the san
Spending time in the san

Alison H wrote:
Places that make you spend ages entering your account details on the phone, listening to a load of irritating options, pressing buttons for the option you want and answering stupid security questions, and then tell you that they are closed and you will have to ring back in the morning :banghead: :banghead: . OK, not everywhere is open in the evenings, but why not just say that first?

And also answering loads of questions and then being told you are too old, have the wrong postcode, etc, etc. :banghead: :banghead:

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Aug 2018, 21:24 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Today I had a recurrence of something I haven't experienced for many years: the member of bank counter staff who doesn't understand that the bank handles cheques issued by other institutions. The cheque was made out to SLOC and I by Building Society X because a bond had matured and we don't wish to continue doing business with them, which I told her at the start, and I was paying it into our account.
"But doesn't something else have to be done to this cheque before you can pay it in here?"
"No, it's made out to us and I'm paying it into our account with this bank"
"I think that Building Society has a branch over the road"
"I daresay they do, but that is irrelevant - that bond has ended, and we don't wish to do business with them any more."
"But doesn't something else have to be done to the cheque before you can do anything with it?"
"No - what did you have in mind?" (which she couldn't answer).
And I thought that was going to be the simple part of what I went in for!

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 17 Aug 2018, 00:38