Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 11:14

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
 Post subject: Re: October whinges - please whinge away in here!
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2018, 09:32 
End of term hi-jinks
End of term hi-jinks

So sorry to hear of you fall, and the subsequent injuries Jennie.

Good wishes to you and all who need them.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2018, 17:18 
Having a say in the Sale theme
Having a say in the Sale theme

Sarah,

Take the redundancy money and keep it safe. Best wishes for the future, and many thanks for your good wishes.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2018, 22:32 
End of term hi-jinks
End of term hi-jinks

Jennie wrote:
Sarah,

Take the redundancy money and keep it safe. Best wishes for the future, and many thanks for your good wishes.

Sadly they have to offer this before I can take it, consultation has now closed so I guess I will find out whether they've rethought their decision soon. I will be crossing everything that it does come to redundancy as this uncertainty is making me unwell again - in 2 days time I'll have had a headache for an entire year and it is definitky getting worse again.

Your being refused tea did make me think of a MASH episode and raised a smile. I hope you are currently savouring every cup!

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2018, 20:11 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

Hugs to everyone who needs them! Thanks Mary! Jennie, sorry to hear about your fall and the injuries - I hope you're feeling a bit better now, and hope the operation goes smoothly. Emma, how frustrating and fingers crossed for the op. Norfolkbookworm, when will you know? Hope it's speedy so you get rid of the uncertainty at least.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2018, 00:36 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

People who drive enormous cars in urban/suburban areas and then have a go at the person parked next to them when they struggle to get into the said cars :banghead: . My car was in between the white lines. What do they expect other drivers to do - leave the spaces on either side of them empty, when there's nowhere else to park?!

This issue came up in the letters page of the local paper recently, and one incredibly arrogant person said that he always deliberately parks across two spaces to give himself more room, because he's not risking having his expensive car damaged. Gah!!

/rant :lol:

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2018, 12:54 
Hemming sheets
Hemming sheets

It was a really wet day yesterday. I was unable to get a parking space in my normal car park on arrival at work so had to park further away and walk. I assiduously avoided all puddles and then, just short of the office, stepped on a ricketty paving stone which plunged my left foot into a deep lurking puddle beneath. I spent the rest of the day with a wet foot which still was not dry when I left. On the way back to the car park I assiduously avoided all puddles AND ricketty paving stones only, on crossing the final road, to find myself faced with a flooded gutter where the puddle extended nearly three foot out into the road. I tried to make a leap for it, just missed and plunged my right foot into the puddle. Resulting drive home was therefore with two wet feet. In CS-world this should have constituted grounds for a hot bath and bed but needless to say life was not that generous and I was going straight from work to do something whch meant I didn't get my wet feet home until 9pm! At least it's not raining today at the moment (and I am wearing boots just in case....)

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2018, 23:25 
Swept off by Matey to pack
Swept off by Matey to pack

roversgirl wrote:
Hugs to everyone who needs them! Thanks Mary! Jennie, sorry to hear about your fall and the injuries - I hope you're feeling a bit better now, and hope the operation goes smoothly. Emma, how frustrating and fingers crossed for the op. Norfolkbookworm, when will you know? Hope it's speedy so you get rid of the uncertainty at least.

Thank you Roversgirl!Hopefully not too much longer.

Hugs to everyone who needs them.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2018, 14:46 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

Hugs to all those that need them - expecially those with health problems.

This is more of a warning than a whinge. I was called by my bank late on Sunday evening and asked whether I had been making purchases on my credit card in London and on the internet that weekend. Their fraud system had picked up that I used my card in France at my local supermarket on Saturday afternoon and the computer worked out that I couldn't be in two places at once. The bank had put a temporary block on my card until I confirmed whether or not I had made the initial purchases. Apparently it was the classic sting - a small amount first to see if it was immediately challenged, then increasingly large amounts. Just wondering, if I had not been in France, whether the system would have picked up the fraud so quickly. I have no idea how or when my card was cloned. However, thank you, Santander for the quick response.

I shall be checking my bank account much more frequently in future - especially at busy times of the year. I now have to wait ten days or more for a replacement card - good job most of my present buying is done!

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2018, 15:18 

Oh no :( . Something similar's just happened to my sister: there seems to be a lot of it about at the moment. At least the bank picked it up quickly.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2018, 15:25 
Going to investigate
Going to investigate

Unfortunately, I think this is something which is all too common, which is too bad. But thank goodness your bank picked it up so quickly, Lizco.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2018, 19:48 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

My Marks and Spencer credit card was hacked a few months ago and since I do not use it when out of the UK, so don't check my monthly statements as there is nothing to pay on them, I would never have known had Marks itself not picked it up and contacted me.

Someone had used it to pay their rent to a London Housing Association....

So even if you are not using a card it is probably sensible to keep an eye on the monthly statements.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2018, 02:13 
Arranging your timetable with Miss Dene

cestina wrote:

That does seem stupid - surely it would be easy to trace who would have benefited from that fraudulent transaction? As well as providing an address for the fraudster?

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2018, 10:44 
Giving a Junior an order mark

bythebrook wrote:
cestina wrote:

That does seem stupid - surely it would be easy to trace who would have benefited from that fraudulent transaction? As well as providing an address for the fraudster?
Doesn't it? But then I've often thought that 'Criminal Stupidity' should be a third verdict to go with 'Innocent' and 'Guilty'...

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2018, 15:42 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

More criminal stupidity - attempting to buy on line with a stolen/pirated credit card and then giving a delivery address.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2018, 18:14 
Hemming sheets
Hemming sheets

lizco wrote:
More criminal stupidity - attempting to buy on line with a stolen/pirated credit card and then giving a delivery address.

I can add to that. Years ago my credit card number was fraudulently used to purchase a television set from a reputable high-street shop over the phone and the shop was asked to arrange for it to be delivered by taxi to an address. The taxi driver reported back that they had been met by someone outside of the address who said they'd carry it in (but didn't appear to do so) and the driver was suspicious so the shop informed the police. An hour or two later the shop had a phone call from the 'purchaser' to say that they were delighted with the TV and could they also now purchase a video recorder (this dates the story!) also to be delivered by taxi. The police trailed the taxi and picked up the individual (who of course was only doing this as a favour for an unknown person met in a pub and was too thick to be the ringleader). I did eventually identify the ringleader for the police (a long story and one where I am very proud of my own detective skills after they'd given up) and a rather substantial community service order on the ringleader was the outcome of a day in court.

Whilst the credit card company footed the bill not me, it was ironic that 12 months later we received through the post an invitation from the high-street shop to take out an extended warranty on the goods we had (not) purchased!

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2018, 10:55 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

A similar thing happened to my stepmother. She was trying to use her debit card at the local Tesco when she received a call from her bank to say it was simultaneously being used in Spain. She was reimbursed for the large amounts of money which had been spent on very random items, such as hundreds of pounds on airport parking and another huge transaction at a florists! Apparently the Spanish police made arrests as these had happened before and were a front for money laundering. She always said it was just as well she tried to pay here; quite what the result would be if this happened to a card you rarely used, I don't know. I have twice had Barclays ring me to check on recent transactions; both times it was me making a £1 charity donation when buying something on Ebay. Apparently this is the usual amount thieves take when trying out your card.

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2018, 23:39 

A teenage boy stood up to give me his seat on the tram this afternoon. Whilst it was very nice that he had such good manners, I couldn't help thinking that he must have seen me as a decrepit old lady :shock: :lol: .

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2018, 00:08 

Well, but if he's like most teenagers, he probably thinks everyone over twenty-five is elderly! :D

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 358 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 11:14