Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 06 Apr 2020, 17:24

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 798 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40
 Post subject: Re: All-new happiness thread
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2020, 11:52 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Waitrose had a member of staff standing guard at the toilet roll shelf on Saturday during the oldies hour. No actual boxes of tissues though, that shelf was completely empty, and no plain rice.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2020, 12:29 
Getting all excited!!
Getting all excited!!

Prioritising? I did the same yesterday except I was heading for paracetamol (we're a bit arthritic in our house).

I went to Tesco again today and got everything I couldn't get yesterday, they were actually quite reasonably stocked - loads of loo roll. And now back to the garden... Not what I had planned for my days off but thoroughly satisfying anyway.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2020, 13:39 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Due to people feeling unable to visit mums and grandmas on Mothering Sunday, Tesco had a load of flowers left over, which they were kindly giving out to people during the over 70s hour this morning. Made Mum smile :lol: .

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2020, 16:12 
Discovering ink blots in your Latin prep

We saw our resident badger in daylight, we've only caught it on the nightcam before. And whereas we regularly see a male pheasant in our field, today he had a lady friend with him! So we'll have to be careful not to disturb their nest, which must be in the hedge bottom somewhere. Do you know, it really is spring out there at last, with the celandines and all!

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2020, 00:52 
Remove to Inter V
Remove to Inter V

I was out shopping today too. I usually buy my eggs at my newsagents as I'd rather support them than the local supermarket. Normally they're sitting in their boxes on the counter, but today there were none to be seen. It turned out that many people who'd never used the newsagents before had been coming in just to buy eggs as all the supermarket shelves had been emptied of them. As a result, the owner had said they should be kept under the counter for their regulars. I felt as though I'd just been transported back in time to the 1940s!

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2020, 12:25 
Annoying a Sixth Former
Annoying a Sixth Former

I love this thread and hope we can all keep it coming! I inherited a dying plant before Christmas and got a bean for Christmas, and I am enjoying having both in my little wee house while working from home :-) I danced when I found fresh bread in Aldi the other day :-)

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2020, 14:18 
Ricking your ankle
Ricking your ankle

There was a peacock butterfly on our daffodils this morning. We have a lovely display of spring flowers in the garden - thanks to the SLOC who does all the gardening

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2020, 16:24 

We saw our first Peacock of the year, too, and the asparagus is up, and we disturbed a huge toad while we were clearing the ditches. So nice to be in the garden and be too hot. Those of us with gardens should be very thankful at the moment.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2020, 16:30 

My neighbour just made his vile dog shut up when it, as usual, barked its head off as soon as I ventured outside. I'd only gone out to put the bin back in after the binmen had been! I was having horrible visions of the vile thing terrorising everyone whilst we're confined to barracks, but it looks like he's trying to be considerate for once (we'll see how long it lasts).

Just been to the park for my daily walk and, by complete coincidence, saw my uncle. I didn't go too close, but at least I've seen him, and can also reassure my cousin, who's stressed about him managing on his own, that he's all in one piece.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2020, 21:47 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

You are right about the joy of having a garden LucyP. My daughter and I were setting up our tiny backyard for vegetables to be planted in troughs and pots and she said exactly the same - imagine what it would be like to have no outside space at all.

We are really living in strange times. The Czechs have a saying - Všechno zlé je pro něco dobré (every evil carries some good with it) and I am struck by how true this is of this particular evil.

People are finding ingenious ways of staying in touch - the singing Italians on their balconies, the Spanish police serenading the housebound, friends making contact who have long been silent, the on-line singing groups springing up all over the place, the Happy Thread in the Guardian of things that make us smile, neighbours enquiring from a safe distance if there is anything they can do for us, flowers from the supermarkets, churches streaming on-line services....the list goes on.

It almost seems as if some of the following is coming true - this is floating around the internet at the moment though there seems to be little information about the supposed author of it, Kitty O'Meara:

"And the people stayed home. And read books, and listened, and rested, and exercised, and made art, and played games, and learned new ways of being, and were still. And listened more deeply. Some meditated, some prayed, some danced. Some met their shadows. And the people began to think differently. And the people healed. And, in the absence of people living in ignorant, dangerous, mindless, and heartless ways, the earth began to heal. And when the danger passed, and the people joined together again, they grieved their losses, and made new choices, and dreamed new images, and created new ways to live and heal the earth fully, as they had been healed."

I have noticed too that people on CBB have been posting good things in various threads - the quarantine one, here, and also in the whinge thread. Might it be an idea to have a dedicated thread gathering together things, however small, to raise our spirits at this horribly difficult time?

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2020, 16:29 

Because of other issues, we lead very quiet lives at the best of times. I am so thankful that as well as my garden, I have ongoing housebound interests - the daily Guardian crossword, and my commitment to Duolingo - I started it to brush up any remaining Welsh I had, and have ended up with 12 languages on the go! And all of Project Gutenberg to go at as well.....

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2020, 18:16 
Remove to Inter V
Remove to Inter V

I'm thankful my newsagent and my milkman are still making deliveries. My mornings wouldn't be the same without the newspaper to read when I first get up, then the cryptic crossword and sudokos etc. to tackle once my brain is in gear. As for the milkman, I can't thank him enough. He's saving me from having to make extra trips to the supermarket - I drink a lot of milk!

(I also feel very fortunate that I live in an area where papers and milk are still delivered, I understand it no longer happens in a lot of places.)

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2020, 18:31 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

I've just had a delivery of milk and groceries from a local store that has just started doing newspaper and grocery deliveries, though it has been going as a convenience store for ages. It's the wrong side of the main road for us to use as a 'local' shop normally, but while they are offering the delivery service, it's brilliant, as despite the allowable 1 trip to the shop if necessary, it had been a worry to have to go out for the paper every day, so great not to need to...at our age we shouldn't be doing too much going out anyway, though neither of us is in the 12 week shielding category.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2020, 18:38 

My remote link to the office network is now working, so I can do some work from home (not sure if this is a good thing or not :lol: ) for as long as there's something to do. It had been set up with the wrong password :roll: , which was why it wouldn't work yesterday.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2020, 18:41 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Alison H wrote:
It had been set up with the wrong password :roll: , which was why it wouldn't work yesterday.

It's always something simple, and human error, isn't it!

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2020, 19:26 
Learning to stand on your own two feet
Learning to stand on your own two feet

Elder son and I have just got back from working on the allotment for 3 hours (I know it's all right to do that as Michael Gove said so). He's been clearing ivy from the plum thicket at the end of his plot, and a robin came to help him clear the ivy and insects from the ground.

It was very peaceful over there, and very strange! Usually we'd hear more cars and the children at the nursery as well as the children coming out of high school.

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2020, 15:04 
Bored
Bored

Sloc also goes for his fix on his allotment every day. Lyanne. :wink: The best exercise he could get, and keeps us out of each others' hair as we're over 70 and staying home mostly.

A friend sent me this re the virus, so read and have a laugh:

A Plane had 5 passengers on board, Donald Trump, Boris Johnson, the Pope, Nicola Sturgeon and a ten year old school boy.The plane is about to crash and there are only 4 parachutes.

Sturgeon said "I need one. I've got to sort out Scotland!" Takes one and jumps.

The Pope said "I need one, I've to sort out the Catholic Church." He takes one and jumps.

Trump said "i need one as I'm the smartest person in America," so takes one and jumps.

Boris Johnson said to the ten year old, "You can have the last parachute. I've lived my life, yours is only starting".

The 10 year old said, "Don't worry, there are 2 parachutes left. The smartest person in America took my school bag"

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2020, 16:08 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

I read this, but in that version it was Nicola Sturgeon who took the school bag!

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 798 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 06 Apr 2020, 17:24