Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 23 Apr 2021, 02:45

Post subject: Birdwatching
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2019, 12:10 
Having a say in the Sale theme

I know some people enjoy the Osprey webcam each year, and the good news there is that a male has arrived and started renovating the nest.

I have also been enjoying the Peregrines at Winchester Cathedral, the female has already laid 2 eggs and is sitting on them most of the time - 3 chicks were raised last year, so one hopes for at least one more egg ... if so, the third one is due to be laid today...

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Birdwatching
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2019, 15:17 
Having Miss Annersley for Civics

abbeybufo wrote:
I know some people enjoy the Osprey webcam each year, and the good news there is that a male has arrived and started renovating the nest.

Only two of the regularly followed ospreys are back so far - Maya from Manton Bay, Rutland arrived the day before Laddie at Loch of the Lowes. She is not doing any nest renovating at the moment, just keeping the geese off it.

If anyone wants to follow arrivals there is a countdown clock here. The weather for migration is worryingly unclement at the moment.

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2021, 00:16 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

Resurrecting this thread because it's the time of year for the ospreys to return. I followed the Loch Arkaig pair, Louis and Aila last year who I hope are due to make a safe return in the next week or so. https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/trees- ... sprey-cam/ I missed the egg incubation and hatching last year, so I'm looking forward to watching the full cycle this time. I know others here follow different nests. Any news on them yet?

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2021, 09:04 

There’s an egg at the Rutland nest, laid yesterday morning!

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2021, 21:59 

Telyn arrived back at the Dyfi nest on the 26th followed on the 29th by her new mate of last year, Idris. He took over when the much-loved and revered Monty failed to return. It has taken them a little time to settle back into the necessary relationship though they do seem quite relaxed with each other.

Unlike the pair at Glaslyn - Mrs G, who is now possibly the oldest breeding female in the UK, arrived on the 25th, followed by Aran, a little earlier than usual, on the 29th. She became immensely excited when she sensed he was about to arrive and set off to meet him. They immediately got down to business.

And on the same day the Clywedog female, Seren, arrived, to join her partner Dylan who had been waiting since the 24th.

The pair at Llyn Brenig are still unaccounted for which is worrying, as the female, Blue 24, is well known for arriving early and then prospecting happily around all the nests in the hope of seducing a male, even if he is already booked with another. But there have been access problems for humans there so it may be that the pair has arrived, unbeknownst to us.

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2021, 22:28 

Re Ospreys; CJ7 hasn't got back to Poole yet, though people are betting on her arriving tomorrow. I hope a male turns up for her this year, as it was very sad watching her wait around last.

In Peregrine news (though I know Cestina doesn't care for them!) Winchester & Salisbury have 4 eggs each; Bournemouth & Chichester 2 each so far, though as they are already incubating, there may not be any more there. I don't follow any of the others - these are the ones fairly local to me, though I know many cathedrals have nests, though not all have associated webcams.

Happy to post links if people would like them...

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2021, 22:40 

It's not the peregrines I don't like abbey, it's their housekeeping habits. At least the ospreys eat every scrap of the fish they catch except the bony gill cover. And from babyhood they poop over the side of the nest.

I am very prepared to admit that the chicks are adorable, far prettier than the osprey mini-dinosaurs.

I too am happy to post links :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2021, 08:04 

cestina wrote:
It's not the peregrines I don't like abbey, it's their housekeeping habits. At least the ospreys eat every scrap of the fish they catch except the bony gill cover. And from babyhood they poop over the side of the nest.

I am very prepared to admit that the chicks are adorable, far prettier than the osprey mini-dinosaurs.

I too am happy to post links :)

The baby peregrines poop over the side of the nest, but as the nests are usually on a ledge, the guano doesn’t get very far, and those nest trays which are built for them with a backboard mean that if they poop in that direction it stays within the nest area. That means that the Winchester setup is more pleasing to look at than most others.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2021, 08:54 
Remove to Inter V
Remove to Inter V

The Norwich peregrines laid their fourth egg a few days ago & the Bath ones overnight last night. Their cameras are maintained by the Hawk & Owl Trust but sadly due to Covid coverage is patchy in Norwich this year as they didn't manage to service the cameras fully this winter.
Updates and video clips are found easiest via The Hawk & Owl Trust Facebook page.
Probably best for my work productivity that there's not so much footage...

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2021, 13:11 

Osprey back at Poole - no definite ID yet, but blue ring on right leg raises hopes that it is CJ7 who spent all last summer there waiting in vain for a mate...currently on camera pole so only the Birds of Poole Harbour volunteers who can see the camera trained on the webcam pole can see it so far...

UPDATE - definitely CJ7 back

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2021, 21:34 

abbeybufo wrote:
Osprey back at Poole - no definite ID yet, but blue ring on right leg raises hopes that it is CJ7 who spent all last summer there waiting in vain for a mate...currently on camera pole so only the Birds of Poole Harbour volunteers who can see the camera trained on the webcam pole can see it so far...

UPDATE - definitely CJ7 back

I spotted and greeted you on the chat abbey....

She really is a beautiful bird, isn't she? I hadn't really taken a proper look at her before. Fingers crossed for a suitable partner. We have the gorgeous Aeron floating around Wales since 2019 looking for a mate. Shame he didn't stop off in Poole on the way through...

UPDATE FROM RUTLAND Just spotted two beautiful eggs as babysitting duties exchanged...

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2021, 17:29 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

Just spotted you on the Lock Arkaig webcam page Cestina. The weather was terrible there earlier this week, so fingers are crossed Louis and Aila found some shelter to ride it out and that both make it back safely very soon.

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2021, 18:01 

Yes I am still hoping for Louis and Aila but have more or less given up hope of Blue24 at Llyn Brenig....

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2021, 23:08 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

It's not looking good for the Llyn Brenig female is it, 16 days later than last year and still counting. Hearing about 5 ospreys being shot down as they flew over Malta hasn't helped my nerves any either.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2021, 06:21 

5? I had only heard about 2. Horrible.

If one watched Dyfi regularly then Blue 24 was very much a feature of that nest although she was never the legal occupant. We were all delighted when she found a mate/nest of her own instead of trying to seduce elsewhere. It's so sad to think she may now be gone.

Do you find the chat stream on Loch Arkaig tricky to find your way round? I had hoped when they changed providers this year that it would be easier but I still struggle with it.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2021, 19:53 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

I don't have the webcam on all the time, but I do have the webpage permanently open. Particularly at the moment I'm checking the chat at regular intervals and I like the fact that new posts pop up automatically without me having to refresh the page. But it also means I'm not inundated with new posts each time I look, which perhaps makes it a lot easier. I'm more of a lurker than a poster (as I am here), so have only added a couple of comments so far.

Just in case anyone's wondering what on earth is so fascinating about watching an osprey webcam, this is a link to a video clip one of the Woodland Trust members posted last year. It never fails to make me chuckle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-T2vcO-j0s

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2021, 13:24 

That's great Annied. Also explored his other stuff. Very funny.

Eggs imminent on both Dyfi and Glaslyn from today. I have discovered the picture in picture function on YouTube, thanks to instructions on Loch Arkaig chat, which allows you to have a small YouTube picture on any other website you are visiting. So what with Glaslyn on the tablet, and mini-Dyfi on the laptop as I do other stuff, I am well set up for the egg race :D

At the moment, Idris, last year's new male at Dyfi, seems determined to occupy the nest cup where the eggs should be laid.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2021, 00:38 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

Sounds like it's getting exciting at Dyfi and Glaslyn. Still no sign of Louis and Aila, but several other ospreys who arrived back at around the same time as them last year haven't shown up yet either, so it may just be that conditions en route haven't been ideal and have held them all back. Meanwhile however another osprey is taking an interest in "their" nest. The plot thickens!

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2021, 12:12 

Yes, all revving up now. Mrs G laid her 55th egg at Glaslyn yesterday and at Dyfi we have eyes glued to Telyn. Loch of the Lowes had their first egg today..

In the meantime I laughed a lot at this clip - Tricky Stick problem at Loch Arkaig. If Louis doesn't make it back, which would be hugely sad, it looks as if The Stranger might be a suitable successor.....

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2021, 19:09 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

Louis finally arrived back at Loch Arkaig about an hour ago, much to the relief of all of us who were beginning to get just a little concerned. Now we need Aila to have made it safely home too.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 23 Apr 2021, 02:45