View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 15 Sep 2019, 16:04

Post subject: Shelving Non-Fiction Books
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2016, 15:16 
Asked to help with the play

How do you shelve your non-fiction?

For the first time in many years, I seem to have enough shelf space for all my (current) books. This leaves me with a new dilemma. How do I decide the shelving order for my non-fiction?

My fiction is in broad swathes. Children's books in the bookroom (with two shelves of picture books in the sitting room for visiting small people). Crime in the sitting room in alphabetic order of author (and then series order if appropriate). Fiction A - L, ditto. Remaining fiction in bedroom plus science fiction (which is alphabetical order of author except for the Star Trek books which are...complicated)

I have shelved "Wine", "Religion" "Dictionaries etc", "Plays and Poetry" elsewhere.

Dewey decimal isn't going to work as there are not enough books (plus it is too difficult for visitors to negotiate)

I was thinking of broad subject order but how do you decide what that is? Do I shelve the cricket books under C-for-Cricket or S-for-Sport (in case I ever have any sports books that aren't about cricket!)?

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Shelving Non-Fiction Books
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2016, 16:15 
Learning the difference - can and may
Learning the difference - can and may

Broad subjects, with a bit of leeway given for large/small books. It's not in that strict an order, TBH and could do with a tidy.
History, biography, economics/sociology/politicsish stuff, science, language are the major sections. Cookbooks and food are separate and make rather a large section.

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2016, 16:32 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Nearly all of mine are history-related. They're filed in chronological order for British history and by alphabetical order of country otherwise.

There isn't a lot of room left, so sports books are on top of history books wherever there's space :roll: .

Very complicated issue :lol: .

I'd put all sports books under S for sport, if I had more room! Then, within that, under f for football, t for tennis, c for cricket, etc!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2016, 17:20 

I think I've managed to fail all ready.

I started with subjects-beginning-with-A. "Biography" obviously starts with an "A" :banghead:

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2016, 19:09 
Attending a prees' meeting
Attending a prees' meeting

Victoria wrote:
I started with subjects-beginning-with-A. "Biography" obviously starts with an "A" :banghead:

Well, Autobiography does so some of them will be OK!! ...

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2016, 19:15 
First Lesson
First Lesson

Size! The idea being to maximise the number I can get onto my bookcases, so I have some narrower shelves so that I can get 7 onto my Billys. Having said that, most of the non-fiction is in the dining room and there is a rough division between travel, history and biography, but only rough. For my children's and theology books, I have been reduced to a catalogue which tells me which shelf each book is on, and I need to do something similar for the dining room books as well. Then there will be no more of 'I'm sure it is here somewhere ...'.

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2016, 15:00 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

Similar to Katherine: subject, occasionally mussed up by size.

Most of the history/archaeology books are in my husband's study, in roughly chronological and geographical sections (I sorted them, so they are in an order that feels right to me, but would probably horrify an actual historian or archaeologist or geographer); cook/food books that are used most for recipes are in the kitchen (with another section in the back room); travel books/guides are filed alphabetically by name of country; biography/autobiography/letters are filed alphabetically by name of subject.
Other sections with more than a few books are philosophy, politics, religion, running, dogs, chickens, arts &crafts period, and art. The sections are filed in an order that feels right, rather than by any actual system. e.g. religion is followed by philosophy then politics, so books that sort of cross over can go in between categories.

Sorting books out is one of my absolute favourite things.

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2016, 15:36 
Having Miss Annersley for Civics

JS wrote:
Sorting books out is one of my absolute favourite things.
And mine - it always gets far more time and effort than anything like housework :-). I've recently shuffled a lot of it round, based partly on what physically fitted best in the space available and partly where some books are most likely to be useful.

Non-fiction is in the majority, so it's spread throughout the house: natural history, topography, science and cookery in the hall; biography, autobiography (and books by those subjects who wrote) in the front room; art, theology, heraldry and history in the dining room; a (hopefully interesting) miscellany in the spare room; anthropology, folklore etc in the bedroom. The rest are in the study, and include books about Anthony Powell, costume, genealogy, health, death, and reference books. Nothing is kept A-Z by author except fiction, because there really isn't enough space, and I have already lost enough hours of my life here and at work in adjusting shelf heights to accommodate various odd sizes!

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2016, 15:46 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

I take it you have all read Susan Hill's delightful "Howard's End is on the Landing"? :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2016, 17:00 

Oh yes, even though it wasn't, in the end, I seem to remember - and isn't in this house either... :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2016, 17:42 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Noreen wrote:
Oh yes, even though it wasn't, in the end, I seem to remember - and isn't in this house either... :D

Ours is but it's the DVD :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2016, 23:23 
End of term...again
End of term...again

I do mine in Dewey Decimal, but I have an awful lot of non-fiction books.

Outskirts Of The Twenties: Polari

Non-CS fic: Late Back (Good Omens)

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2016, 12:10 
Somehow making an enemy
Somehow making an enemy

I thought it was men who were obsessive about cataloguing and arranging things on shelves! I have a simple system. The non-fiction I use fairly regularly is in a big bookcase in the front room. The rest is in various bookcases throughout the house and I have a rough idea of what's where, based on previous occasions of going and looking for things!

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2016, 12:19 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Gottfried wrote:
I thought it was men who were obsessive about cataloguing and arranging things on shelves! I have a simple system. The non-fiction I use fairly regularly is in a big bookcase in the front room. The rest is in various bookcases throughout the house and I have a rough idea of what's where, based on previous occasions of going and looking for things!

Yes, same here. All non-fiction is more or less together on giant bookshelves, in approximate categories. Paperback fiction in the Czech Republic is shelved alphabetically, until it gets messed up by much borrowing by English speakers.

Virago and Persephone novels are shelved by themselves as they look so lovely and Greyladies are slowly increasing in their own special corner.

Strangely, although I spend much of my life hunting for all manner of things, I can nearly always locate books fairly easily though sometimes I am unsure whether they have crossed the Channel and landed on the other side.

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2016, 12:33 
Presenting your school report
Presenting your school report

My non-fiction used to be shelved according to broad subject, sometimes subdivided, and then alphabetised by author's name (unless a biography, in which case by subject's name). At the moment I have fiction and non-fiction mixed together, all alphabetised by author's name (or, as before, subject's name). This I quite enjoy because the juxtapositions can be rather fun. I'm moving in a few weeks... not sure how I'll do it then!

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2016, 17:24 
End of term...again
End of term...again

Gottfried wrote:

I try not to make assumptions about gender and personality traits! Men do not have a monopoly on nerdy obsessiveness.

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2016, 17:37 
Somehow making an enemy
Somehow making an enemy

Sorry about that! As I grow older, I observe men of my age behaving in rather stereotypical ways, and I'm terrified of turning into Trevor from the TV comedy Boomers, hence the comment. If you haven't seen it, he is the sort of chap who likes to compare caravan specifications. There is a little bit of Trevor in me so I have to watch out for it and stamp on it.

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2016, 22:11 
End of term...again
End of term...again

Gottfried wrote:
Sorry about that! As I grow older, I observe men of my age behaving in rather stereotypical ways, and I'm terrified of turning into Trevor from the TV comedy Boomers, hence the comment. If you haven't seen it, he is the sort of chap who likes to compare caravan specifications. There is a little bit of Trevor in me so I have to watch out for it and stamp on it.

I misread that as "caveman specifications"! Now that's my sort of nerdery :D

But hey, I'm an organist. Being a nerd is part of the job description :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2016, 08:14 
Indulging in a midnight feast
Indulging in a midnight feast

I sort my books by subject and then by author, e.g:

Autobiography
Biography
Childrens' books
Fiction