Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 00:23

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 478 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
 Post subject: Re: Happy Eating Support Group #4
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2017, 10:31 
Matey awakes!
Matey awakes!

brie wrote:
Well done Cal!

You'll need to tell us your secret :lol:

To be honest, it's been more a change of lifestyle than a diet regime. I recognised that I'd got lazy. I don't drive, and most of the places I go to regularly are within 30 minutes' walking distance, so I started walking everywhere, instead of catching the bus - although I do still catch the bus sometimes if the weather's bad (or sometimes just because I feel like it, especially if I've already walked to my destination and I'm on my way home or have loads of shopping).

With regard to eating, I just cut down generally on portion sizes and limited my 'treats'. I also live on my own, which makes it easier, because if I don't buy biscuits, etc, I can't eat them!

But the biggest factor has been my motivation. I realise that in the past I've tried to lose weight to please other people, but this time I'm doing it for me, and that makes a huge difference.

The health benefits have been a bonus, I feel great generally, my blood pressure is lower than it's been for over 20 years, my Vitamin D levels are back to normal and I'm no longer pre-diabetic.

Lots of my friends have noticed and I've received lots of compliments.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2017, 10:39 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Well done, Cal! Walking was what worked best for me when I was very overweight and needed to lose some weight urgently. Unfortunately, I've now been walking as much as possible for 12 years, so I can't make that change any more and I can't find anything else that would have as much impact!

I'm quite embarrassed when I think of the way that I used to drive or get the bus to places within a very short distance - sometimes it took far longer waiting for a bus or trying to find somewhere to park than it would have done to walk. I just wish I could find another lifestyle change that would have as much effect :(.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2017, 07:25 
Playing up in prep
Playing up in prep

My dance teacher has entered both my tap class and my ballet class into a competition in July - this should be enough incentive for me to lose some weight but unfortunately every time I resolve to eat more sensibly, I just eat more. So, what to do...

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 May 2017, 14:52 
Dashing off for your part in the play
Dashing off for your part in the play

I've joined slimming world this week. Does anyone have any tips?

You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders, who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2017, 01:15 
Playing up in prep
Playing up in prep

I took a big step yesterday and went to meeting of Overeaters Anonymous. I'm really hoping it will enable me to gain some control over my eating. They seemed a nice group too!

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2017, 03:01 
Presenting your school report
Presenting your school report

Oh that's very good Joanne. The best of luck to you...

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2017, 07:53 

Well done, Joanne. I don't think people always understand how hard it can be to control your eating, and all the emotional issues involved. Good luck.

I've put on a load of weight on holiday. It's those hotel breakfast buffets! They have all these nice fancy bread things there, and it's included in the price ... so I end up having three times as much breakfast as I would at home. I never learn ...

I really need to make a big effort now ...

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2017, 10:21 
Getting into trouble with Mlle Berne
Getting into trouble with Mlle Berne

Well done Joanne. I'm glad they seem nice too.

I've been putting on and losing the same 4 or 5lbs since January. Although I'm hoping summer will be a bit easier with all the ripe fruit. Aldi's super six was all cherries and grapes, etc so I've stocked up on healthy (if I don't think about the sugar) snacks this morning.

Book blog: https://GiltAndDust.WordPress.com

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2017, 10:29 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

Had a shock and kick up the backside when I went to the doctors this week. I've got diabetes :(
I thought I was just going to get a review of antidepressants and blood pressure tablets :shock:

Visit http://www.encorebooks.co.uk and http://stores.ebay.co.uk/encorebooks for a wide selection of secondhand and new children's books (including ones published by GGBP, Bettany Press, Greyladies, The EJO Society, Books to Treasure and Fidra Books)

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2017, 15:09 
Swapping addresses
Swapping addresses

Oh dear - these things always take the breath away somewhat, don't they? But if you do have diabetes, I'm glad that it was diagnosed -it's not good left unchecked, and there are more and better options for treatment than there used to be. Sending good luck and positive thoughts!

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2017, 15:42 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

I'm sorry Caroline; that does sound like a shock. Hope you're doing ok with it.

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2017, 16:33 

The same thing's just happened to an immediate relative of mine. We've all had the dire warnings about diabetes running in the family, but it's still a nasty shock when it actually happens. As Noreen says, though, it's far easier to treat and control than it used to be.

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2017, 17:42 
...and being forgiven
...and being forgiven

Hard luck, Caroline. SLOC has now had it for years, and, although he has a very sweet tooth, which can make it hard sometimes, he has kept it well under control. It does now mean baking is a no, no, on the whole, which pleases me no end as I'm not really interested in eating cakes and biscuits myself. :roll:

(((Caroline)))

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2017, 04:57 
Playing up in prep
Playing up in prep

Sorry to hear that Caroline. I was told recently that I am pre-pre-diabetic and while I guess it is good to be warned it seems unnecessary to add another pre to prediabetic...

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2017, 07:38 

My dad (another one of the relations who keeps being warned) was told that. Then he was told that his sugar levels were no higher than they'd been the previous time he'd been tested, but that they'd moved the goalposts so that that level now classed as pre-pre-diabetic, whereas previously it hadn't!

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2017, 09:42 
Beginning of term speech
Beginning of term speech

I have had diabetes for over 20 years now and still remember what a shock it was to get the diagnosis. It is now, however, much better treated by the NHS with a lot more info and emphasis on the way it affects you personally rather than lumping all diabetics together in a one size fits all way. I have found that some of the usual advice doesn't work for me at all and have learned to go for a pick and mix way of managing things, if it works for me I do it, if I find things going haywire with some of the advice I ignore it. Last review I was congratulated on my control so I must be doing something right. Good luck Caroline, I hope you are as lucky with your Diabetes team as I am with mine.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2017, 10:43 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

Appt with diabetic nurse last night went well. Starting on medication but a low dose. As well as eyes and dietitian I've been referred for a course for people who have recently been diagnosed.
As always, thanks for the support :D

Visit http://www.encorebooks.co.uk and http://stores.ebay.co.uk/encorebooks for a wide selection of secondhand and new children's books (including ones published by GGBP, Bettany Press, Greyladies, The EJO Society, Books to Treasure and Fidra Books)

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2017, 10:50 
Swapping addresses
Swapping addresses

Pleased to hear that the medical support has turned out so well so far. They'll probably make a bit of a fuss about your footcare, too: that's apparently because a lot of people with diabetes have, or, end up with, poor circulation, which can lead to other problems.

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 478 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 00:23