Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 06 Dec 2019, 13:58

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Happy Eating Support Group #4
PostPosted: 13 Mar 2014, 12:32 
Climbing with your knees bent

Thank you for the encouragement, JS! I lost 3lb the first week, nothing the second week and gained 1lb last week, but that's still a loss of 2lb in thre weeks, which isn't to be sneezed at at all!

I must say that I haven't yet found a way of fasting on any days except Tuesday and Friday. I swim thirty or forty lengths on Monday, Wednesday and Friday and although when I'm a bit more used to fasting, I will try swimming on a fast day, at the moment I still get light-headed and woozy on fast days. I'm now walking for at least half an hour every fast day. SLOC and I both prefer it when we can eat together at weekends, and at the moment weekends are often busier than weekdays. This means that if Tuesday or Friday is particularly busy, or if I'm off colour, I can't fast properly. Ho hum! I look forward to the flexibility when I'm more used to it all :)

I hope your day isn't too stressful, Gil, and that the lousy night was a one off.

My website - Joyful Jewellery

Joyful Jewellery on Facebook

[url=http://joyful-jewellery.myshopify.com/blogs/news/79806723-christmas-2015New blog post 28th November[/url]

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2014, 14:09 

Sorry for spreeing, but it has been a few days.

Despite my discouragement on Thursday, and the fact that I was unwell on Friday afternoon and therefore ended my fast after 24 hours rather than waiting till Saturday morning, I lost 4lb last week. So for my first four weeks on 5:2, in order, I lost 3lb; gained one; maintained; and lost 4lb. I expect I'll gain a pound or two of that back, but the trend is definitely downwards, and I'll try not to be discouraged next time I have a week or two in succession of gaining or maintaining. Thanks for listening, everyone!

[url=http://joyful-jewellery.myshopify.com/blogs/news/79806723-christmas-2015New blog post 28th November[/url]

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2014, 14:38 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

That's brilliant Joey, good luck tomorrow.xx

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2014, 10:36 
Playing Impertinent Questions

That sounds good Joey and gives me some hope! I am contemplating starting this this week although I haven't exactly planned in advance in terms of what I need to eat today. My main concern is I already drink 3-4 litres of water a day(mainly in herbal teas), so how much more will I need?!

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2014, 11:35 

I do find that I drink more, but not that much more - I try to have a drink when I feel hungry, and a hot drink when I get cold, but I probably only drink six or seven litres on a fast day as opposed to four or five on an ordinary day.

I do find fast days are a lot easier when I've planned what to eat, though. You may be different, but for me, there's a danger that if I don't plan, I won't think about it till I get hungry, and then it's much harder to stick to 500 calories flr the whole day. It does depend partly on what food you have, though. We almost always cook from scratch so we have fruit and veg around. Fish is fabulous, if you eat it - tinned tuna is surprisingly low in calories, and so is smoked salmon. A big surprise for me was eggs - a medium sized egg is about 70 calories, and a poached or soft boiled egg is amazing on a fast day.

I can't remember whether it was cestina or abbeybufo who recommended food treats on a fast day, but I've found that very helpful advice - it's much easier to get through the day when you have something yummy to look forward to. A couple of people on here don't eat at all during the day and have an ordinary evening meal, and I can definitely see the advantages of that. I have to eat fairly soon after getting up so that I can take my meds, and 500 calories definitely feels like less when you're spreading it over a whole day rather than saving it for a meal!

Good luck, and I hope it works for you. I am still finding it hard work - I get light-headed and dizzy, and my brain isn't as efficient. But this is only my fifth week, so I expect that will get easier with time. I am also hoping that once I've lost what I want to lose, I'll be able to switch to once a week fasting for maintenance.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2014, 11:54 

Thanks Joey! That's been really helpful :-) I have now (somewhat) planned food for the day and I think I may end up doing a couple of 700 cal days before I get it down to 500. Thanks for the tip about tuna as it's part of my staple (student) diet :-) I'll let you know if I survive or if I crack and eat a huge bowl of pasta at 8 pm ;-)

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2014, 12:17 

I've done a couple of 700 calorie days without any permanent negative effects! Also, some people fast for 24 hours rather than 36 - so they will fast from (say) dinner time on Thursday till dinner time on Friday, rather than till breakfast time on Saturday. I ended up doing that last week as I wasn't at all well on Friday afternoon: I thought I wouldn't lose anything last week because of that, and I lost 4lb!

Oh, another tip that I've found helpful - I think this one came from JS - low calorie hot chocolate is great. I think it's usually around 40 calories so you can probably only fit in one per fast day, but it can be really good when you're cold, tired, hungry and headachey.

My final tip is to ask Google for calorie counts. Most things you get from the supermarket will have the calories on them, but if you buy your fruit and veg from the market or greengrocer that doesn't arise. I just type in things like "calories in ten asparagus spears" and Google tells me straight away (it's 32 - asparagus is one of those astonishingly low-calorie foods.)

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2014, 12:26 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

Re planning what you're going to eat: someone was telling me last week that he was doing 5:2 and finding it extraordinarily easy because his wife basically does the cooking and he doesn't have to think about it at all (not sure if she's doing the 5:2 as well or not). He says she's remarkably skilled at making tasty low-calorie meals and he basically eats what's put in front of him!

I'm sure not everyone has such a handy companion (amazing that she manages on top of being a doctor and a mum) but perhaps there's a gap in the market for a 5:2 coach who comes to your house and sorts out your menus on fast days :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2014, 18:54 

Gosh, JS, I need one of those! I suspect I'm going to finish at around 700 cals or slightly higher but I'm happy with that given I have to take meds three times a day currently and sometimes in the night. Thanks for all the advice :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2014, 18:33 
Concerned about new girl
Concerned about new girl

I've found this really interesting - especially Joey's contributions on eating and medication. Like her I am on medication which has to be taken with food and if I want (ie desperate for) pain relief every 4 hours that means more food too.

Also the ME/chronic fatigue means at times I suddenly feel very sick and need to eat immediately otherwise I get very ill - which of course makes it all the more difficult.

However I seem to have done today pretty well so far - it was only a couple of hours ago that I realised that if I was careful for the rest of today I could do a 500 day! Not sure I can manage it on a regular basis but I'm going to try whenever my body feels up to it.

I know that what is helping me is that I have a lot of very nice chocolate in and that if I really need to/want to I know I can eat that and it really (in the overall scheme of things) doesn't matter if I don't manage to do 500 cals. I did lose over 2 1/2 stone after putting on huge amounts with steroids (I love steroids in that they keep me alive, I just don't like what they do to my weight) but seem to have plateaued since the autumn and stuck where I am. Hopefully if I can manage this it will kick start it.

I do wonder whether not eating much in a day because you're still too stuffed from the huge meal the day before counts! Chris took mum and I out on saturday for lunch and apart from a glass of apple juice to have morning pills with I ate nothing until sunday late afternoon. The only reason I ate then was to encourage mum to eat as she is now very poor at that.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2014, 06:09 
Indulging in a midnight feast

I've just stuck the following note to myself on my computer screen for motivation:

Liz, you have

all of April;
all of May;
all of June;
all of July;
all of August; and
most of September to follow Weight Watchers and not look like Jabba the Hutt when you go to Leeds. (I stay with my cousin and her husband every year).

Let's see if that works!!!

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2014, 10:30 

Good luck, Liz - and do post here if you need help with the motivation: I find this a very supportive thread.

Dawn, occasional 500 calorie days certainly won't hurt! ME makes so many thgings so much harder. I am full of admiration for your managing to lose two and a half stone- that's amazing.

I haven't finished two months of 5:2 yet, but I've had a couple of days when I had to abandon or adapt the fast because of other symptoms. I've had to go up to 600 calories a couple of times, I've had a thousand calorie day, and there was one day when I finished my fast after 24 hours because I really wasn't feeling well. I'm still averaging a loss of slightly more than 1lb a week, though, which is the average weight loss on this eating plan - so listening to my body seems to be working for me. I am really enjoying the freedom of being able to eat what I want to the rest of the time. This is a big improvement for me over calorie counti9mng all day, every day!

I do find that I have less energy on fast days, which can be difficult. I also get terribly cold, which is fine when I'm at home - hot water bottles are a fabulous invention - but harder when i need to be out and about. I haven't been able to be flexible about my fast days, mostly because I can't be flexible about the days I go swimming because of the pool's opening hours, and I don't want to fast at weekends - Sunday is usually busy and Saturday is either also busy, or a rare day for SLOC and I to spend together- in neither case do I want to limit my calories! However, fasting on Tuesdays and Fridays is working for me. There are a few weeks in May and June when I won't be able to fast all day on Fridays, but I have a few weeks to decide what I'm going to do for those weeks.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2014, 11:57 
Concerned about new girl
Concerned about new girl

Liz K wrote:
I've just stuck the following note to myself on my computer screen for motivation:

Liz, you have

all of April;
all of May;
all of June;
all of July;
all of August; and
most of September to follow Weight Watchers and not look like Jabba the Hutt when you go to Leeds. (I stay with my cousin and her husband every year).

Let's see if that works!!!

Liz what I found really motivated me when I was managing to lose quite a lot of weight was working out what I would weigh if I lost an average of 1/2lb per week during that time and then if I lost 1lb a week. That made me realise that if I worked hard at it there would be a real difference at the end of the specified time.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2014, 11:59 
Concerned about new girl
Concerned about new girl

Joey - I'm having to work it round swimming and also being with mum. She doesn't eat very much now unless she goes out for a meal so we're doing a lot of that and it wouldn't be possible to do a fast day then. It's just going to have to be when I can I will and see what happens.

And you're the one I find inspirational with your weight loss and determination - thankyou.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2014, 13:04 

Thank you, Dawn.

I have worked out, at 1/2 lb per week, I could lose 1st 2lbs and at 1 lb per week 2st 1lb in that time.

Definitely something to aim for!

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2014, 05:22 
Ricking your ankle
Ricking your ankle

Have just tried the fast days for 2 days this past week and it seemed to go ok as I managed to lose 1.2kg (sorry we have metric here). My biggest concern was not so much the not eating, but the affect it would have on my mood, as I'm usually extremely grumpy if I don't eat. So far I haven't been too bad. I have found it easier to eat more in the morning and less as the day goes on, which fits in when I swim in the morning. Only hope I can keep it up or not go too extreme if I stop doing it (another side effect of me doing it). Oh well, can only wait and see and Joey have found reading your posts (and everyone elses) extremely helpful which gave me the courage to try it.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2014, 07:42 

Goking to drag myself back to WW today, haven't been for weeks.

I've also booked myself a free 30 minute hypnotherapy session on Thursday, let's see what good that does.

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2014, 08:32 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

I've had a little break from 5:2 whilst crossing Europe (with the added temptation of Easter in Germany thrown in) but today is the first day back on it, this time with the added complication of now being in the Czech Republic with different food choices available.

I know this whole journey started here, just over a year ago, but I'm blowed if I can remember what I was eating here then and anyway I changed much of it once back in the UK :( .

Today is safe enough - a stock of cottage cheese from Germany in the fridge and some cold breast of chicken and salad left from yesterday's Remoska roast. But after that I must have a think.

Off to Small Worlds now to complete the new layout and keep my mind off food.....

Good luck to anyone else fasting today :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2014, 08:48 
Giving a Junior an order mark
Giving a Junior an order mark

ISTR that you had quite a bit of your sliced-extra-thin salad, (which was cottage cheese again) and poached egg on crispbread...not together, of course!

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2014, 09:01 
Having Miss Annersley for Civics
Having Miss Annersley for Civics

I'm fasting today, too. I seem to have plateaued again at 11st 9lb - which is of course much better than the 13st 7lb that I started with, but I'm currently a bit fed up with not moving. :roll:

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 25  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 06 Dec 2019, 13:58