Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 25 Sep 2017, 20:05

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 478 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Happy Eating Support Group #4
PostPosted: 14 Jun 2016, 22:39 
Dashing off for your part in the play
Dashing off for your part in the play

Fab effort Rietta

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2016, 12:51 
Climbing with your knees bent
Climbing with your knees bent

I am just starting to get some energy back after 3 months of zero energy (caused by sinus infection) and Anjou
Ping on the Pokemon Go bandwagon to motivate me to get out and walk!

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2016, 09:07 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

These trousers were quite loose pre-holiday. They now feel a bit tight. So does everything else :( .

Life is not fair. You should be allowed a few weeks a year when you are allowed to eat more than usual without putting on weight! I don't expect it all the time, but you should be able to register holidays and Christmas with some sort of weight gods and be granted a temporary dispensation!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2016, 06:44 
Getting into trouble with Mlle Berne

The other day I saw 'bare naked noodles' in the supermarket which purported to be fat free, have 0.1g of carbs per 100g and only 8cals per 100g.

I am not entirely certain what they can be made of therefore, but they sound too good to be true. They would certainly be useful for making 5:2 or Atkins more bearable. Has anyone tried them?

Book blog: https://GiltAndDust.WordPress.com

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2016, 09:45 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

They are made of konjac flour and are well-known in Japan. I have tried them once but didn't persevere. I might try again, there are a lot of tips on fasting websites for using them.

I have had a disastrous summer - something else to blame on Brexit which sent me into a spiral of depression - but in my first three clear weeks in the CR without visitors to distract me, I have got a grip on things again. Not 5:2 at the moment but a version of my "nothing beginning with C" eating plan. It rules out an awful lot of weight-producing foods!

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2016, 12:58 

Thanks for the information Cestina.

I finally weighed myself today for the first time in months and I wish I hadn't. It's not pleasant to find out that you are the heaviest you have ever been... :cry: :cry:

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2016, 12:03 
Matey awakes!
Matey awakes!

I haven't posted on here before, but I'm very happy because I've been on a healthy eating and exercise programme for the last 4 weeks and have so far lost 2.3 kg. I get weighed again tomorrow, so may have lost even more. The encouraging thing is that I stayed the same even last week, when I'd made very little effort, because of being involved in a conference all day Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, although I suppose that at least gave me no opportunity for nibbling! :lol:

It's not a diet as such, but it suits me and it's obviously working. I've cut my portion sizes and I'm walking almost everywhere, except for days like Saturday, when I had to go out and I got soaked just walking to the bus stop and back twice.

Incidentally, I know some people on here do 5:2. We had a session on what they call fad diets a couple of weeks ago, where such things were discussed. They advised against it (and most others, including Weight Watchers, Diet Chef and the like). The main reason seemed to be that it is not the healthiest way to diet - the programme's run in conjunction with the BHF - and less sustainable in the long run than lifestyle changes.

But if it works for you, that's fine.

I did get down to my target weight at Weight Watchers once many years ago, but I found it was unsustainable in the long-term. To me, it was half a stone lighter than my most comfortable weight.

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2016, 12:15 

Well done, Cal :D .

I am sick of never being able to find any healthy snacks when I'm out. Tea rooms/cafes always seem to be full of cakes, crumpets, etc, but never offer anything that isn't full of calories. Costa Coffee did "mini treats" at one time, but seem to've stopped offering them now. I know that the health authorities have tried to get something done about this, but all that's happened is that the big chains now put "information" labels up, informing you that that slice of cake you were eyeing contains 450 calories, and that that granola slice which looked healthy contains 375 calories :shock:.

Carrying pieces of fruit or cartons of low fat yoghurt around in your bag is not always very practical :roll:.

Most places offer skimmed milk now, but they don't seem to offer any sort of healthy eating option.

/whinge!

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2016, 17:50 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

Well done Carol! To be honest, I think that sustainable lifestyle changes are often better than Doing A Diet - which is often not sustainable. I know for some people 5:2 really is a lifestyle change which is great! Also, it does seem to me that different approaches work best for different people. I suppose it's often a matter of trial and error...

Alison, I do think that's one of the (many!) things that's wrong with the whole kind of establishment-food thing we have... it simply isn't made easy for the vast majority of people to eat well. Better foods are usually more expensive - or, as you say, unavailable. It's so frustrating. In the past I've made my own (actually!) healthy granola bars, but again it's not always easy to carry them about with you.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2016, 11:22 
Matey awakes!
Matey awakes!

Very happy to report after last night's weigh-in that I have now lost 10lbs. I lost more than I expected this week.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2016, 12:37 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

That's excellent news Cal.....

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2016, 06:17 

Well done Cal. Sounds like you are doing great.

I have done well (i think!) On the healthy eating front this week, but I must admit the exercise side has been a bit of a non-starter.

I have found it's a must to keep the fridge well stocked so far. I don't mind eating healthily if I can snack frequently. Watching bake off has been the biggest challenge of this week I think!

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2016, 11:34 
Matey awakes!
Matey awakes!

I hadn't lost anything when I got weighed yesterday, even though I haven't done anything different. Just one of those things, I guess. At least I didn't gain anything. At my age, I can't even blame it on the time of the month! :lol:

Not expecting to lose much (if any) next week, as I'm off to Scotland on holiday. I may have to be a bit more flexible as regards eating, but we are planning on doing some walks, which will help and my friend is a GP, so she should encourage me with my healthy eating and exercise regime.

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2016, 09:26 

I've had a nightmare 5 weeks. 3lbs on, off, on ... I know weight can jump around, but I don't know why it keeps happening and it won't go. Or why it's doing it now when it wasn't before.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Oct 2016, 13:35 
Matey awakes!
Matey awakes!

I am very happy to report that in spite of not being at all strict with myself whilst on holiday, I still managed to lose 4lbs in the two weeks between my two weigh-ins.

I have now lost just over a stone. I also weigh less now than I did 5 years ago when I had my brain surgery. I can't remember exactly how much I was then, but, since they weigh you every time you go for a hospital check-up, I do know that I've seen the weight creeping up! :D

I will not tempt fate by continuing to eat as much cake as I did when I was on holiday! :lol: It must have been counteracted to some extent by all the walking we did.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2016, 12:22 

My horrible, horrible job which I have thankfully now left (although they are still stressing me out by ignoring my emails about the 100+ hours of holiday pay they still owe me) has contributed to me feeling somewhat whale like going into the Christmas season. I am over half a stone heavier than I have ever been before in my life, and I am even considering attempting one of these stupid fad diets just to kickstart things. I have found three weeks or so of atkins very successful in the past, but that is an impossibility with so little time before Christmas, and then I start my new job in January so I can't exactly be seriously low energy going into that.

I know slow and steady wins the race, but I've been so disheartened by finally checking the scales that I feel I need something to get the weight loss moving. There is obviously something ironic about binge eating because your stressed about your weight but I also know myself well enough to know I could easily do it and just shove the scales away into some dark corner.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2016, 12:35 
Matey awakes!
Matey awakes!

(((Brie)))

Good luck if you decide to go for losing some weight. I think most of us 'comfort eat' during the most stressful times in our lives, even if we don't do it regularly. I certainly do, though I'm trusting that I've got my worst excesses reasonably under control.

Haven't posted on here for a while, but I've now lost 11 kg or 1 st 10lb. I hadn't lost any when I got weighed last week, but neither had I gained any, so I felt that was positive. I have no intention of getting weighed again until the first week in January.

I intend to enjoy the festive food in moderation without (hopefully!) gaining too much weight, but I refuse to be ruled by the scales. Having a good time with those you love is far more important at this time of the year.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2016, 13:02 

December is a really bad time for diets. Kind clients keep bringing in chocolates. When I went to do my weekly shopping last week, Tesco were giving out stollen bites and M&S were giving out bits of mince pie. Yes, I know no-one forces you to eat them, but ... :lol:

I have no idea why stress is supposed to make you lose weight: IME, most people comfort-eat during stressful times, as Cal said. I am constantly stressed about weight so I do sympathise, but half a stone isn't that much - I can put more than that in in a fortnight's holiday :banghead: - so please don't feel too bad about it.

One of the many things I've tried is Slimming World, and most people lose a lot in the first week of that, so that might be worth a go - but I'd be inclined to wait until the beginning of January now. Christmas is not a good time for diets.

Good luck with your new job.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2016, 15:43 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

Hugs, brie (if you are ok with hugs). It is disheartening sometimes. I wonder if it'd be worth waiting a couple of days before deciding what to do, rather than starting a diet in the first emotional reaction? I'm sorry about the work stress; that sounds horrible. You obviously know all the sensible stuff so I won't repeat it to you! I hope that starting your new job will be good and help you to feel better. ((()))

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2016, 18:37 

Thanks for all the kind comments and hugs. They are very much appreciated.

I wish it was only the half stone Alison but overall I'm actually 2 stone heavier than I was last summer, which was pretty depressing to discover when I logged back into myfitnesspal for the first time in months.

I am just going to try and eat healthily, up until Christmas, then after the new year I'll need to really throw myself into it. I think if I push myself too much before New Year I'll just get upset when I can't meet my unrealistic goals, so thanks for making me see a little sense :)

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 478 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 25 Sep 2017, 20:05