Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 11 Dec 2019, 15:44

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Happy Eating Support Group #4
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2014, 09:19 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I need to weigh myself on Thursday, after 2 weeks off - that's 2 weeks of Easter cake and chocolate combined with a 4 day break in Amsterdam, city of pancakes and apple pie (with whipped cream) and waffles. I don't think I'm going to be very happy :( !

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2014, 11:49 
Saturday Ramble
Saturday Ramble

This is strictly On-Topic but I don't know where else to post it.

If someone is apparently made ill (but not very) by: wine, milk, soya milk, bread products and mushrooms, what's wrong with them ? Or is it an unfortunate combination of allergies/intolerances ?

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2014, 12:07 
Having Miss Annersley for Civics
Having Miss Annersley for Civics

Could it be a yeast allergy? I know someone who can't eat anything yeasted - so no bread, and mushrooms, other fungus-based stuff not good either - can't remember whether soy is a problem with her or not, but one of the vegetarian meat substitutes - is it Quorn? - is just as bad. Alcohol has yeast - or the fermentation is caused by it ... hence the wine problem. Not sure about milk, though - perhaps a lactose intolerance too!

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2014, 13:03 
Saturday Ramble
Saturday Ramble

Thank you - that's an idea, though I need to think about how to suggest this (if at all) to the person concerned. They are very rigid about what they should/shouldn't, can/can't, must/mustn't eat and I don't want to make life any more difficult !

for more info: cream can be dodgy, but not always; butter and cheese are fine; fruit is OK, but sometimes not oranges; all veges are ok as far as I know, as are nuts. No diet drinks but 'real' versions are OK; only pre-boiled or bottled water.

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2014, 14:07 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Yeast does sound possible. How is it with marmite and beer?

It may not be any sort of allergy but just a gradually acquired intolerance. There are things that I now have to avoid that were perfectly fine in the past - poppy seeds, sweetcorn, oranges and other citrus, including the juice, peanuts. All things that caused no problem at all for most of my life.

Many people can't eat any sort of mushrooms, although they are not in any other way affected by foods. Quorn is entirely fungus based so would be ruled out for them too.

Isn't lactose intolerance unlikely if cheese, butter, cream are all okay?

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2014, 14:12 
Saturday Ramble
Saturday Ramble

Beer no, but this because of avoiding gluten; marmite I need to ask. (They said they didn't want marmite in their sandwich the other day but not that they couldn't eat marmite, so this point unclear.)

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2014, 16:13 
Saturday Ramble
Saturday Ramble

Cider OK, beer not, wine iffy.

The more I think about it, the stranger it gets...

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 May 2014, 20:33 
Presenting your school report

I'm not doing 5:2 but I really do want to lose weight... I've put so much on in the last year and a half and I really want to get it off again.

I've started by replacing my chocolate and biscuit snacks with vegetables - I've got a bag of baby carrots and two of sugar snaps (although I've already eaten half of them!). I think snacking is my worst area, because we tend to eat relatively healthily, so I'm hoping this will make a real positive difference!

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 May 2014, 10:16 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

I'm sure it will Abi. Good luck.

(You could always try the Ban everything beginning with C plan I invented once: it rules out chocolate, cookies, cream, custard, cakes all at one fell swoop. One can be very inventive with it! :D )

Day 3 of return to 5:2. I've decided (since there are in-house scales here in the CR, unlike in the UK when I have to trek to the local Boots) to weigh in on Tuesdays, maybe every other Tuesday after the first couple of weeks, just to see that the trend is downward. I too am a bit fed-up with the recent plateau.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 May 2014, 20:59 

I went to Amsterdam over Easter and put on 5lbs, and have just spent 2 days in the Lake District and probably put on even more :( . Strict Diet for me ...!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 May 2014, 12:30 
Climbing with your knees bent

I don't have any suggestions about the allergy, FrauJ - very odd.

Hope it's going well, Cestina.

Alison, I hope you enjoyed your holiday, and that being back on the diet is not too miserable.

I thought I would pop in since it's a while since I have been here. I am still 5:2-ing and losing weight, and bulk, slowly but steadily. I seem to be losing more bulk than weight, which is slightly odd - I haven't increased my exercise - but I'm not complaining!

This week I've changed one of my fast days for the first time. I tried changing a day a few weeks ago, but ended up being ill so couldn't fast at all that week. SLOC and I haven't had an evening to ourselves for a couple of weeks, and it'll be another few weeks until we have another, so we decided to celebrate spending time together with a nice meal tomorrow evening. So I'm fasting today instead. I'm adapting it slightly - I swim 30 lengths on Thursday mornings, so I had a small banana before swimming this morning and I'll stick to 500 calories for the rest of the day. So I'm effectively doing a twenty-four hour fast today, but I only broke my fast with 90 calories and it was 12 hours after my last meal!

I've got a couple of weeks at the end of May / beginning of June when I'll only be able to fast one day a week. During this year's Shakespeare run I'll be on stage four nights a week and I know from experience that on the Sunday, I am hungry and tired all day. I don't want to fast on consecutive days, so for those two weeks I'll just fast on the Tuesday.

We're going on holiday about a month after that, for two and a half weeks, and I am expecting not to fast whilst we're away - I want to be able to relax completely and enjoy the break. I'll start again when we get home.

My website - Joyful Jewellery

Joyful Jewellery on Facebook

[url=http://joyful-jewellery.myshopify.com/blogs/news/79806723-christmas-2015New blog post 28th November[/url]

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 May 2014, 13:39 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

Thanks for the update, Joey. I was wondering how it was going.

I'm still 'maintaining' after nearly five months since I reached my target. I started out doing 6:1 but was still losing weight, so have stopped fasting altogether. Thankfully, my weight has remained steady.

I've made a few changes which I think help: I've stuck to Ryvita for lunch (rather than bread) and have pasta less often. Crisps are also a rare treat. I'm also being more careful about compensating: if I know I'm having a meal out, I'll have a smaller lunch and so on.

I'm also sticking to my 'apple in the handbag to ward off temptation on train journeys' policy, which really, really works.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 May 2014, 11:32 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Hope it's going well for everyone. I'm pleased to report I have left the plateau and am heading downwards again at a pleasing rate - 3.5kg since we got back here at the end of April. I've abandoned 4:3 and am back on 5:2, but rigidly.

Cream, chocolate and cakes on the 5 days though :D.

I'm a bit wary of the fortnight away from here which is due at the end of this month - the journey is long and tiring and so fasting is not an option, nor is it whilst staying with friends en route. Which means being very careful during the week or so I am actually in the UK.

There is no doubt that working in Small Worlds is a great aid to not eating on fast days! I can offer it as an option to anyone who cares to join me :D.

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 May 2014, 13:46 

Good to hear you've left the plateau, Cestina!

Next week and the week after are the two weeks when I'll only be able to do 6:1 because fasting on performance days isn't really an option. On the positive side, I'll get plenty of extra exercise due to being on my feet for the duration of the show! I shall be back to 5:2 for the two weeks after that, although my birthday will be in the middle of the fortnight! Then we're going on holiday for two and a half weeks from the 22nd June, and I'm not fasting on holiday, on principal. So I am hoping to get from here to the middle of July without any significant gain, and then I'll get back to regular 5:2-ing.

My website - Joyful Jewellery

Joyful Jewellery on Facebook

[url=http://joyful-jewellery.myshopify.com/blogs/news/79806723-christmas-2015New blog post 28th November[/url]

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 May 2014, 18:38 

Good luck Joey!

Good to hear things are going well, cestina!

I'm not doing well... Have been trying to snack on vegetables rather than sweet stuff, but all I'm doing is staying the same; I've not lost anything yet. Feeling quite despondent about it. I suspect it's partly the effect of some medication I'm on. I don't really want to do 5:2 at the moment because I need to eat regularly through the day while I'm at work, but does anyone have any good tips for other easy things I could do?

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 May 2014, 22:59 
Battling with Matey
Battling with Matey

It's still not going well for me either :( . I am just so good at sabotaging my attempts to lose weight - every time I make a resolution, however small a goal I aim at, I promptly eat more instead of less. This week I've started fasting twice and lapsed in the middle of the day, so today I'm just going to try and not eat between meals. It doesn't help that there is still a lot of chocolate in the house from Easter and Mother's day. Not to mention all the other snack foods which the males in the family eat...I really need to live on my own, I think.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2014, 08:31 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

So pleased that I've now lost the weight I put on over Christmas period :D I've had three good weeks in a row rather than losing and gaining the same couple of pounds continually. If I can lose another half pound I'll be under the next stone barrier :shock:

Hope things are working out better for you now Ariel

Visit http://www.encorebooks.co.uk and http://stores.ebay.co.uk/encorebooks for a wide selection of secondhand and new children's books (including ones published by GGBP, Bettany Press, Greyladies, The EJO Society, Books to Treasure and Fidra Books)

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2014, 14:40 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

That's brilliant Caroline. It's so frustrating when the same lbs keep bobbing up again and again!

It's far too hot here in the CR to even consider eating anything till evening which is truly helpful.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2014, 16:58 
Swept off by Matey to pack
Swept off by Matey to pack

Yay I've lost 2 stone since January 2013 :D :D . Only one more stone to go.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2014, 17:10 

Congratulations, Jools! :popper:

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 25  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 11 Dec 2019, 15:44