Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 28 Mar 2017, 18:49

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Money saving tips
PostPosted: 26 Dec 2014, 17:18 
Promising to do better
Promising to do better

I have a box for cards - that way I canfind them. I have ordered next years crackers online and selected the click and collect option so no delivery charges!

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2014, 17:23 
Glad to be back at school

I have a large box where I have all my Christmas stuff - if I buy cards etc, I just put them in there, easily found the next year! :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2015, 09:42 
Finding out about the Sale

As is said elsewhere, I've just been to Norwich. I travelled from Birmingham and I went Megabus. I was very wary about this as I have heard mixed reactions to the experience from my younger friends but I went TO Norwich for £5 and BACK for £1 (plus 50p booking fee) and the journeys were much the same as National Express wirthout anyone sitting next to me. My journey time was 4 hours, about both the train & car journey times

There are some Megatrain tickets (cheap tickets on some Virgin Trains) to London. which must be worth considering for leisure travel.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2015, 11:32 
Reserving an embroidered picture

Yes, I'm taking Megabus from London to Edinburgh for 10.50 including booking fee in August! They were fine on the one occasion I took them in the past.

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2015, 12:51 
Donating it to the Childrens' Ward
Donating it to the Childrens' Ward

Are you doing Festival/Fringe things, Roversgirl? I might be there some of the time (conference) depending on your dates.

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2015, 19:58 
Sitting on the arm of a chair
Sitting on the arm of a chair

There's a thing going round on my fb friends (mainly the Quaker lot admittedly) which is:

Shopping list
make
borrow
grow
repurpose
repair
swap & barter
scavenge & thrift
practice restraint
build community

I'm working really hard on not buying "stuff" I don't need. So far this year, I've bought 2 wedding outfits (first is now too large), 2 bras nad 4 teeshirts. I'm also saving my old very worn out teeshirts to make a rag rug with.

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2015, 20:48 
Starting in the Sixth
Starting in the Sixth

I'm about to throw some t-shirts out - should I send them to you instead?

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2015, 20:55 

Megabus is quite fab! Quite a few years ago I booked to go to London from Aberdeen (12 hrs) for something like £2.50. Long distance I tend to take the overnight one and now there is ones with hammock-y/bed pod things in them which is far better than trying to sleep upright.

Roversgirl/JS - I should be living in Glasgow by 14th of August if that's any use to make up a trio?

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2017, 16:37 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Not-quite-two-years down the line, I thought I'd revisit this topic, especially as the economic climate doesn't seem to have improved much.

Any new tips out there? Are you still using the same places to shop at? Has shopping online made any difference to you, for example?

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2017, 17:23 

I do online surveys for points that end up as Amazon vouchers which I then use to buy books (A friend uses the money "earned" to pay subscriptions for various things). I bought the CS Encyclopaedia 3 and 4, The Bettanys on the Home Front, Champion and Juniors plus many second-hand books that way.

I would warn that this is not particularly lucrative - it doesn't compare with working for example! - and it is both boring and frustrating. It is the kind of thing that you can do if you are at a loose end and costs you nothing but time.

If you do consider this, I strongly recommend setting up a separate email account.

I am happy to talk to people about the sites I use and my experiences - just pm me.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2017, 17:46 
Lamenting the amount of work
Lamenting the amount of work

Yes, there are three survey sites I use; one you get cash for and the other two vouchers (I think you can choose cash on one but it's worth less). As Victoria says, it's really just pocket money, but I don't work and it allows me to treat myself every so often!

I've also just started a regular saver; I can put into it anything between £25 and £500 per month and I have to give notice to access it and can only access it twice a year without penalties... I'm not great at saving or budgeting so I'm hoping that this will help me actually keep some money by!

One of my favourite things (even though it actually saves hardly any money...) is making my own stock. You just freeze your chicken bones (you could do it with other meats too obviously!), onion and carrot peelings (or whatever other ones you want to use) and once you've got enough, boil them all up. Costs nothing except the heating power and tastes a hundred times better than bought! Vegetarians can obviously do it with their veggie peelings too. (Again, I suspect if I was working full time I would not be doing this...)

I do find I have a constant dilemma, choosing between ethical and cheap. Occasionally the ethical thing is cheaper but the majority of the time, not so much. It's really frustrating. My savings account is an ethical one with Triodos Bank, since I don't have enough money to make interest rates especially relevant!

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2017, 21:24 
Coming top in the form
Coming top in the form

As I mentioned on another thread, combine with friends to take advantage of buy one, get one free offers. This works especially well with fruit and veg when often the offer is too much for one person.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2017, 11:12 
Discovering ink blots in your Latin prep
Discovering ink blots in your Latin prep

Dedicate a shelf in the freezer to individual portions of soup. It might be quite 'samey' for the first couple of weeks but for example, if you work for five days a week try to make enough soup for at least six portions so after a few weeks you can mix up which soups you are eating each day.

Ta da healthy and very filling lunches, and if you are not fussy and make your soup based on what is cheap in the supermarket/grocers that week it can save you even more money. If you don't do a lot of cooking soups can also be a nice fairly easy place to start as well.

Not season appropriate perhaps but during the festive season a lot of butchers do really good deals on big bundles of meat and if you have the freezer space this can often be enough to provide meat for your festive meals, and in our case because there are only two of us this can provide enough meat for most of January which is so often a hard enough month without grocery bills. It's also means we can eat a nicer quality of meat than we can usually afford.

Also I've found that if you ask the supermarket butcher for bones for stock, gravy, etc you can end up paying a few pounds whereas if you go to your local butcher they will often give you them for free.

After a roast chicken dinner you can use the carcass and the peelings from your roast carrots and onions to make the base of a delicious chicken noodle soup with things you would just bin otherwise.

If you eat a lot of mince I would recommend trying veggiemince; in something like lasagne you can't even taste the difference and if you aren't sure about it you can use it to bulk out regular steak mince and I would be surprised if you were able to tell :lol: . I've certainly done that when I've had a lot of people over for food and no one has ever noticed. Again it's not just cheaper it's also healthier and I like the fact that I can cook it from frozen if I have forgotten to take something out the freezer to defrost.

I've just noticed these are all food related. I clearly think with my stomach... No wonder the diet is stalling out.

ETA: just noticed Abbey had already me mentioned bones and stock

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2017, 16:41 
Indulging in a midnight feast
Indulging in a midnight feast

fraujackson wrote:
Apart from all of the above, cutting your own hair saves a heck of a lot of money. It does depend on how straight-eyed you are and how complicated your hairstyle is, but worth a shot.-)]

Having a sister who is a qualified hairdresser and does your hair for free saves quite a bit too. :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2017, 14:18 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

This year I decided to go plastic free. At one fell swoop, my spending has decreased enormously. I buy in bulk at bulk bins or from the weekend fruit and veg market. This is not necessarily cheaper but as I'm not buying any processed food, my overall costs are less and it's probably healthier

It has also stopped me nipping into the supermarket and picking up ready meals or getting takeaways. And it really makes me vet every single other thing I buy so this year I have bought very little.

I appreciate this is quite a drastic step and won't work for a lot of people but if anyone is interested, my blog is at https://oneyearzeroplastic.wordpress.com

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2017, 22:45 

That's interesting Caty! Well done! I do wonder whether that would work in the UK... I'm interested in your blog. I think I would struggle to do that!

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2017, 12:14 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

It was only when someone pointed out that bulk bin produce is not common in the UK that I realised how hard it would be for me to manage without that option.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2017, 13:27 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Caty wrote:
It has also stopped me nipping into the supermarket and picking up ready meals or getting takeaways. And it really makes me vet every single other thing I buy so this year I have bought very little.
Interesting idea to go plastic-free, Caty - but in fact I think this other point of yours is really important. After all, supermarkets count on customers "nipping in" to pick up one or two items and spotting other things they'd like and buying them too. When I was waiting at the checkout with my weekly shop yesterday I was talking to someone who said they came in on a daily basis and almost always bought extras.

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2017, 02:39 

Noreen wrote:
Caty wrote:
Interesting idea to go plastic-free, Caty - but in fact I think this other point of yours is really important. After all, supermarkets count on customers "nipping in" to pick up one or two items and spotting other things they'd like and buying them too. When I was waiting at the checkout with my weekly shop yesterday I was talking to someone who said they came in on a daily basis and almost always bought extras.

Some years ago now (when I mention "Woolworths" you might be able to identify just how long ago...) research showed that people who go into supermarkets almost always buy something, while people who go into department stores are considerably less likely to buy. As a secondary factor, once people bought one item, there was a much increased chance of them buying a second - or more.

So supermarkets just want you through the door, and department stores have taken up flogging cheap chocolates as "impulse buys".

Moral: If you don't shop, you won't buy.

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2017, 12:13 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

I completely agree! Im endlessly fascinated by the families on est well for less and what they chuck into their shopping trolleys. For me, going plastic free has lead me to question almost everything I buy. By approaching it from another angle that cost, it's opened my eyes to what I 'need' rather than grabbing what I see.

In that way, I wasn't advocating plastic free as a money saving device, just that it has been a mechanism for me to reduce my spending. Or at least to think long and hard before spending. It's also making me search out home made solutions, plan meals and really really minimise food waste.

I completely acknowledge that going plastic free would be nigh on impossible for most people. I do wonder if you could stick to one supermarket shop a week (with maybe a milk and bread exemption), how much you could reduce your overall spending?

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 28 Mar 2017, 18:49