Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 29 Apr 2017, 20:30

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Money saving tips
PostPosted: 05 May 2014, 18:13 
Lamenting the amount of work
Lamenting the amount of work

I agree that you need to check Lidl products carefully but I have never had a problem with Aldi's quality.

Somewhere else you need to be checking carefully is the bill in Sainsburys. I never get out of our local one without finding at least one discrepancy between the shelf price and the final bill. I have an almost photographic memory for prices (probably comes from selling food in Marks before the days of computer tills and scales) and I get totally fed up with having to march back to the shelf with an assistant to prove I am right.

Probably why I prefer to shop anywhere but Sainsburys.....

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 May 2014, 18:31 
Reserving an embroidered picture
Reserving an embroidered picture

Yes that's a good point, though never had that issue with Sainsburys, it used to be a regular feature of our previous shopping in Tescos.

Checking your bill in restaurants is another one, last night we had £7.50 of someone else's drinks added to our bill, could have been easy to miss as there were a few of us so it was a reasonably long bill.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 May 2014, 18:40 
Donating it to the Childrens' Ward

I've had that in restaurants several times - worst was the time that two salmon dishes and three drinks were added to our modest bill (we're veggie so knew it would have to be a mistake) in an Italian place; we pointed it out and when the bill was redone it was still wrong!

And I've twice been overcharged in a place that does pre-theatre meals - they seem to charge automatically for two courses even if you only have one, so it alway pays to check.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 May 2014, 19:20 
Annoying a Sixth Former
Annoying a Sixth Former

According to Tesco's Price Promise, Lidl would have been 5 cent cheaper for my shopping today... I don't totally believe it but at the same time I'm fussy about brands for some things - not everything, but certainly cereal, because all of Lidl or Aldi's cereals are like bricks - so I wouldn't have been able to do the same shop.

I calculate what I have to spend after mortgage, bills etc, divide it by the number of weeks in the month, and take that amount out each week. If I run out, I act like there isn't anything else until the following week (barring emergencies, of course), so I can't go broke too far before payday. I also try and have a "cushion" left in the bank if I can (not always easy but good for emergencies).

I find there are advantages either way between cash and cards - if something costs 20 euro for example, I would just spend that much on the card and no more, but an ATM usually won't give anything below 50, so I'd take that out and end up spending the rest of it - now that I don't take out little bits every time I need something but the weekly budget in one go, I don't do that so much.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 May 2014, 19:55 
Swept off by Matey to pack

I loves Aldi's Benefit cereal, their version of Special K. It such better than the Kellogg's version and less sweet.

We definitely save money in Aldi.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 May 2014, 10:02 
Learning to play Lacrosse

If you have a garden, plant some vegetables. The cut-and-come-again salads are good as they last for quite a while if you pick a few leaves regularly.

If you read a lot of crime fiction, use your library rather then buying books which you only read once. My library has a bigger and better crime section than the bookshops and I can order a book for a very small fee. Charity shops are another good place to look for books. I tend not to bother buying the books in the Richard and Judy section as I know they will turn up in Oxfam in a few months.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 May 2014, 10:54 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

There used to be a programme on here called "The Money Man". They helped familes who were living beyond their means. From memory, the tricks involed:
1) making sure debts were paid off as fast as possible including cheking best interest rates for any loans.
2) Compiling a list of outgoings and then dividing it into essentials, nice to haves, luxuries and then trimming it back.
3) Preparing a budget and sticking to it (making sure it covers all expenses)
4) Giving yourself a "pocket money" for treats and luxuries
5) They also looked at ways to generate more income - either by cutting back on spending, selling stuff or picking up some more paid work.

I found it really interesting to watch and certainly picked up a few tips. There are also some good ones here

There's a clothes shop here that sells second hand clothes on behalf. It provides a little extra cash for things we don't wear. We also have a number of good vegetarian meals as meat is quite expensive.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 May 2014, 11:02 
Starting in the Sixth
Starting in the Sixth

Might be worth looking at Money Saving Expert for the UK - I used to work with someone who was always picking up bargains and tips from their regular emails...

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 May 2014, 11:19 

I've been the person with the reduction labels for finals and these would be my tips:
- In my experience it isn't related to delivery times but to closing times. Try about 90 minutes beforehand - they may be done earlier or later but it should give you some idea. Don't know about shops taht are open 24 hours though.
- There are lots of professional reductions grabbers, be prepared to be assertive.
- Being nice to the staff pays!
- The best day of the year for finals may well be Christmas Eve - if shops are closed on Christmas Day and Boxing Day they have to get rid of that stuff as well as the Christmas Eve dated stuff. The very brave people leave it til this time to buy their Christmas dinner meat. This tip also counts for New Years Eve and Easter Sunday Eve.

If you have the time consider getting a job in a supermarket one or two days a week. Apart from extra income this may also net you a staff discount and an inside line on reduction times (for best results avoid being signed up for checkouts - then you'll just get to process other people's piles of bargains).

Having saved money for a holiday, investigate the possibility of buying a flights plus hotels package from an airline. British Airways will often sell you this for less than the flights alone! They'll also sell you flights plus car hire to similar effect. Even if you only need flights this can be a good tip since nobody cares whether you check into the hotel/pick up the hire car.

Top | End

PostPosted: 06 May 2014, 13:50 

We also adopt a one-in-one-out rule (or we're supposed to, anyway.... :roll: ). It mainly functions for handbags (me) and rucksacks, kayaks, walking boots (him)....

Some really good tips on this thread - everything is just so much more expensive these days. Our weekly shop for 2 people used to cost £40-50 a few years ago, now it's £70-80. The only thing I won't compromise on is meat, though - the welfare standards have to be the highest we can find...

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 May 2014, 13:34 
Having a say in the Sale theme
Having a say in the Sale theme

Eat less meat. I buy most of my meat from the Farmers' Market, so it's more expensive to buy. But it's also better quality, so we can eat every last little bit.

A small joint of beef will give Sunday dinner for Andrew and me, a sandwich for me on Monday lunchtime, and then I'll cook it up in a casserole for Tuesday. So, eating less meat helps.

The sausages that I buy from the farmers' Market are mostly meat, so two of them fill me up. I serve them with a little mash and a lot of cabbage. Cabbage is a great filler, and it stays in the stomach for a long time, so you are less tempted to nibble.

If you have two eggs, you have a meal. A two-egg omelette fills me up, especially eaten with salad. Two poached or scrambled eggs on toast, followed by an apple makes me a good dinner.

Eat more vegetarian meals. Cook wholemeal spaghetti with a sauce of an onion, some garlic and tinned chopped tomatoes. Add a little grated cheese if you wish. That's a meal for two for about a pound.

We like Kettle Chips, but I buy them only when they are two bags for £2. A bag for me lasts for about a week, so not bad. If I have crisps, I don't allow myself any chocolate.

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 May 2014, 14:00 

Apart from all of the above, cutting your own hair saves a heck of a lot of money. It does depend on how straight-eyed you are and how complicated your hairstyle is, but worth a shot.

I also do the one in, one out on clothes, shoes, etc: even if it means buying summer stuff in the winter sale and vice versa, it's worth it, and you don't end up with a load of stuff you never wear. [Sue Ryder do fab second-hand clothes of the non-bag-lady variety as well, btw ;-)]

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 May 2014, 19:19 
Glad to be back at school
Glad to be back at school

Jenefer wrote:
If you read a lot of crime fiction, use your library rather then buying books which you only read once. My library has a bigger and better crime section than the bookshops and I can order a book for a very small fee. Charity shops are another good place to look for books. I tend not to bother buying the books in the Richard and Judy section as I know they will turn up in Oxfam in a few months.

Oh man, do I ever borrow books, order books to borrow as well as the occasional DVD and CD. I only ever buy books if I love them, need them or cannot obtain them through the library - and I usually try and buy them at a charity shop. It is very seldom I buy full price for books.

I have also been converted to Aldi this weekend - but next time must bring more bags/bigger suitcase/backpack.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 May 2014, 01:15 

Use leftovers!
Preserve your food surplus in some way if you can, or buy when cheap.
search for some of the ww2 rationing food sites. these have good tips.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 May 2014, 02:13 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

fraujackson wrote:
Apart from all of the above, cutting your own hair saves a heck of a lot of money. It does depend on how straight-eyed you are and how complicated your hairstyle is, but worth a shot]

Or if you can't bring yourself to cut your own hair, go to a barber rather than a hairdresser.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 May 2014, 23:35 
Admiring Tom's latest effort
Admiring Tom's latest effort

Caty wrote:

Or if you can't bring yourself to cut your own hair, go to a barber rather than a hairdresser.

I second that! I keep my hair very short and getting cut by a hairdresser is at least twice as expensive as going to a barber.

Mind you...you sometimes get the guy who says "I've never cut a woman's hair before" in a panicky voice...

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 May 2014, 09:52 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Victoria wrote:
Mind you...you sometimes get the guy who says "I've never cut a woman's hair before" in a panicky voice...
To which it must be very tempting to reply innocently "But I'm only asking you to cut the hair on my head...!"

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2014, 06:32 
Arguing with your guardian

Saving more money is one of those things that take just a few extra minutes a day, if done cautiously. There are a few simple things that anyone can do that will help boost the amount of money you save. The easiest way to get your savings working for you is to set things up so that you automatically add a little bit monthly to your savings. In that way, you don't have to remember to make the payment and you will not be tempted to skip a month. Before you know it, you'll have built up a solid chunk of savings.

-Sandra :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2014, 09:40 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

If you can brave the sales, today is a great day to buy next years crackers, cards and wrapping paper!

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2014, 12:18 

Provided you can find them next year!
I bought a load of cards two years ago, couldn't find them last year, found them too late - and couldn't find them again this year. I'm anticipating finding them any day now....

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 29 Apr 2017, 20:30