View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 22 Jul 2017, 19:55

Post subject: Re: Money saving tips
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2017, 18:18 
Attending a prees' meeting
Attending a prees' meeting

Abbey wrote:
On the other hand, paper that can't be recycled is still a lot better for the environment than plastic!
Exactly - this is the conversation I had at my local chippy just today...:-)

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2017, 23:13 
Saturday Ramble
Saturday Ramble

If you get the bus often, find out if a bus pass would work out cheaper.

Or, if you have my son, have lots of change to be able to give him the correct fare each day. Instead of giving him £11 for the ten journey ticket and him deciding to get a single and spend the rest on junk food...

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 16:46 
Glad to be back at school
Glad to be back at school

Ooopps! Can you make him walk for the rest of the week instead of taking the bus?

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2017, 14:09 
Learning the difference - can and may
Learning the difference - can and may

LucyP wrote:
I like the idea of going plastic-free - but where is there a butcher who doesn't put the meat into a plastic bag? Ordinary milk is always in plastic bottles now.....and things like salt are plastic packaged, not to mention non-food stuff like toothpaste, and shower gel.
There are those fancy bags you can buy that claim to keep fruit and veg fresh for ages - but they are made of plastic!

I've actually managed to find all those things in NZ without plastic packaging
1. Meat- I've tried 2 butchers, both of whom had no problems putting their meat in the containers I brought.
2. Milk- I used powdered for a while but then found a dairy that sells milk in glass bottles and convinced a local shop to start stocking it
3. We have bulk bin shops where you can buy almost any dry goods unpackaged. Bring your own container and they tare it for you and then you fill it up. I put a pile of pictures of this on my blog as it's not common in UK but most supermarkets have them too.
4. Toothpaste - I've just made my own with baking soda and coconut oil. Shower gel, I made a sugar body scrub and/or just use soap. Shampoo and conditioner has been replaced with bar versions (Lush sell these and they last for ages) though many advocate the 'no poo' method using baking soda. I'm not there yet!
5. I buy fruit and veg at the market and now only buy for the week after a few weeks of going overboard and throwing things out! I try to cook and freeze meals on Sunday so it's all still fresh. Have a look at Sunday meal prep on reddit. I'm not in that league. Things I don't cook straight away - potatoes get stored in a sacking style bag in a cupboard, onions in a little basket in a cupboard. Lettuce gets washed, then wrapped in a tea towel (google it). Carrots for sandwiches get grated as they keep better that way. Apples get eaten before they have a chance to go off! Other fruits I only buy in small quantities do they get eaten. You can get fresh produce bags aka string/mesh or cotton bags easily in shops and they are reusable for loose fruit and veg.

I won't deny it takes much more time and effort and planning but I don't really feel deprived.

Edited to add. Apologies if this seems like a hijack of the thread to promote an environmental agenda. I'm actually trying to stick to the point in that by reducing the packaging and convenience meals and returning to basics in
Saving money. But I would never have done that without setting myself this plastic free challenge.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 22 Jul 2017, 19:55