Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 20 Oct 2020, 06:41

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cricket
PostPosted: 23 May 2015, 15:38 
Being rude to your sheepdog

The strangest thing is Edgbaston is not in Warwickshire and neither is Birmingham (although I imagine in ceremonial traditional counties, both of those facts are untrue).

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 May 2015, 16:06 
Despairing over Geometry
Despairing over Geometry

Nor is Bristol really in Gloucestershire, but our county ground is there. Interesting geography!

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 May 2015, 16:22 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Pingaware wrote:
The strangest thing is Edgbaston is not in Warwickshire and neither is Birmingham (although I imagine in ceremonial traditional counties, both of those facts are untrue).

Traditional counties are the real counties!! None of yer 1974 boundaries rubbish!

Alison in Manchester, Lancashire - about 5 miles from Old Trafford, Manchester, Lancashire :wink: .

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 May 2015, 16:28 
Giving a Junior an order mark

Alison H wrote:
Pingaware wrote:

Traditional counties are the real counties!! None of yer 1974 boundaries rubbish!

Alison in Manchester, Lancashire - about 5 miles from Old Trafford, Manchester, Lancashire :wink: .

Exactly!

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 May 2015, 16:32 
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

If we aren't careful, we'll end up like the USA sports teams - changing their names depending on who is paying them, and moving from place-to-place for money. Think MK Dons.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 May 2015, 21:46 
Swept off by Matey to pack
Swept off by Matey to pack

ivohenry wrote:
Nor is Bristol really in Gloucestershire, but our county ground is there. Interesting geography!

Only just not in Gloucestershire! :D Bristol is/was a very small county. Gloucester also had grounds in Gloucester and Cheltenham. I spent much of my youth watching matches in them.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 May 2015, 09:20 
Fifth Form!
Fifth Form!

I grew up in the West Riding of Yorkshire. The Ridings were abolished in 1974, when they changed the boundaries. West Yorkshire just doesn't have the same ring to it. The word 'Riding' comes from the Viking word for 'third'.

It also meant that when I went to university in Sheffield, I moved counties. Sheffield and Halifax were both in the old West Riding, but Sheffield is now South Yorkshire and Halifax is West Yorkshire.

Warrington, where I live now, was traditionally Lancashire, but is now Cheshire. The two exceptions to this are the older generation, who still regard themselves as Lancastrians and those who live in the 'posh' part of Warrington, south of the Mersey, which runs through the town centre. They have always been in Cheshire. :D

Bringing this vaguely back on topic, I always wonder whether the decline in Yorkshire's cricket fortunes was due to the club abolishing the requirement that players be born in the county. It seems to me that the two events happened around the same time. :dontknow:

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 May 2015, 09:50 

Warrington is in Lancashire :wink:.

It amuses me the way that every single café in Sedbergh, "England's book town", which the stupid 1974 boundary commission put into Cumbria and which has a Lancaster postcode, seems to serve Yorkshire tea, just in case any visitors dare to forget that it's really part of Yorkshire.

Imagine living in Joey's home town of Taverton, which seems to move between Devon and Cornwall at will :lol: .

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 May 2015, 10:47 
Being taken down a peg or two

Extremely frustrated I didn't somehow find the money to buy a ticket for today. I decided against and it looks like today should be a great day! I think England might stabilise and bat through today :(

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 May 2015, 13:33 
Despairing over Geometry
Despairing over Geometry

Jools wrote:
ivohenry wrote:

Only just not in Gloucestershire! :D Bristol is/was a very small county. Gloucester also had grounds in Gloucester and Cheltenham. I spent much of my youth watching matches in them.

I was at school in Tewkesbury, during the Gloucester festival week I used to catch the bus to Gloucester straight from school and see the last couple of hours. I did get to one match at Cheltenham last year but don't often do so now

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 May 2015, 19:34 
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

I am certainly feeling better after today's play!

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 May 2015, 19:46 

Yes - not having seen or heard any of it during the day, I've just looked at the scorecard. :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 May 2015, 21:45 

I'm not|! :( :( Hoping it'll end in a draw tomorrow now/ Lord's are offering cheap tickets from 9 am tomorrow so hoping to pop down :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 May 2015, 21:59 
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

It would be nice to see an overnight declaration so that New Zealand are given a chance to win (makes an exciting game too) but Cook's a rather cautious captain who is quite defensive about declarations so I don't think that's likely.

I can see England going on to bat for at least another hour tomorrow and the whole thing fizzling out into a draw.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 May 2015, 22:12 

That's what I think will happen but, if the weather stays fair, might be a a nice day out at the cricket :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 May 2015, 22:12 

Victoria wrote:
It would be nice to see an overnight declaration so that New Zealand are given a chance to win (makes an exciting game too) but Cook's a rather cautious captain who is quite defensive about declarations so I don't think that's likely.

I can see England going on to bat for at least another hour tomorrow and the whole thing fizzling out into a draw.

Nah. Bat until 20 mins before lunch to put the game safe, get a couple of wickets before the interval, & then bowl NZ out in the next 2 sessions! [Sorry roversgirl!]
/daydream!

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 May 2015, 22:14 

:lol: :lol: Thanks for the apology! I had to suffer through that horrendous fourth (and last) day at Lord's two years ago... surely it couldn't happen twice?!

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 May 2015, 17:42 
Being rude to your sheepdog

Oh what a lovely day it has been to be an England fan. Nice to see the rest of the country being as positive as I've been about our Test team recently.

Also Victoria, definitely called it that we should have Stokes over Jordan!

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 May 2015, 17:50 
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

Pingaware wrote:
Also Victoria, definitely called it that we should have Stokes over Jordan!

I wanted both Stokes and Jordan!

Mind you, I didn't want Cook. His decisions about his bowlers today have been a lot better than they have been for some time but I still don't see him as continuing as captain even if his personal play has improved.

But it has been a very exciting day - and not what I expected yesterday.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 May 2015, 18:26 
Despairing over Geometry
Despairing over Geometry

Brilliant game! Haven't moved far from my radio all day.

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 20 Oct 2020, 06:41