Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 15 Aug 2020, 17:16

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 391 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dog's Dinner - Do animals know what's going on?
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2016, 21:41 
Deciding to learn Russian

Sorry to hear that, Noreen, but you're right. You know when it's time to let them go peacefully.

Which may be closer to Abby than we know, as we've found a lump on her side which was biopsied today, so fingers crossed. :cry: Sixteen is too old to put her through any more, after all she's been through these last four or so years.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2016, 21:53 
Giving a Junior an order mark

Thanks so much to everyone for your sympathies. Paws crossed for Abby-puss, Mary!

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2016, 23:20 
An extra hour in bed in the morning
An extra hour in bed in the morning

Paws crossed here for Abby too, MaryR - she has gone through so much in the last few years. If this is indeed her time, then I know she will be missed.

Noreen, I'm sorry to hear about Harry - I know he will leave a large space in your lives, but he certainly had a good 'innings'.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2016, 15:43 
Learning to stand on your own two feet
Learning to stand on your own two feet

And from me, Noreen. And paws crossed for Abby

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2016, 17:09 
Having a say in the Sale theme
Having a say in the Sale theme

If and when Andrew's cat, Loki, comes to his inevitable end, I don't want anything to do with it.

I just can't take any more. After being with both Timmy and Felicity when the needles went in, I know I can't do that again.

It's losing a family member, that's what it is, and dearly loved family member at that.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2016, 19:30 
End of term...again
End of term...again

Jennie wrote:
If and when Andrew's cat, Loki, comes to his inevitable end, I don't want anything to do with it.

I just can't take any more. After being with both Timmy and Felicity when the needles went in, I know I can't do that again.

It's losing a family member, that's what it is, and dearly loved family member at that.

It really is. When my old lady Shelley died, I was with her (she died in her bed aged 19) but I was deeply saddened not to have been with the other two when they went, my poor darlings. And the first time I ever saw my dad cry was when he came to tell me that our cat Snowy had had to be put down.

They are such wonderful people to share a life with.

Outskirts Of The Twenties: Polari

Non-CS fic: Late Back (Good Omens)

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2016, 22:20 

Thank you to those people who had their paws crossed for Abby. I'm sorry I didn't get back to you, but we've had visitors staying since then so not able to come on here. Luckily for Abby, the biopsy showed the tumour to be benign, and attached to her skin, but if it grows I have to contact the hospital. Another tumour has suddenly sprouted above her spine, so I suspect even more stroking than usual will now be the order of the day to check her over. :roll:

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2016, 22:42 

Thanks for the update, Mary - I really think Abby's immortal, bless her!

Thanks, Elder and frauj, for the sympathies. It seems really odd not to see Harry about the place, and yes, we miss him hugely, especially as he was the huggiest cat either of us has ever met. If he had to stay at the vets for treatment, they always said they got no work done with him about the place!

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2016, 09:38 
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress

Mary, sending many good wishes and prayers to Abby.

As mentioned in the happiness thread I now have a new cat, two years after my beloved CJ died. I was planning on adopting one from the local RSPCA re-homing centre but never quite managd to get the fee together. So, taking a bit of a chance, I typed "free cats" into Google and found Arthur on Gumtree. His owner was looking for a new home for him because he was stressed with being pulled about by their one year old and them being out at work most of the time.
I went over to Brighton to meet him and my son recorded a little video tour of our flat and garden which I showed to Arthur's owner. He was happy for us to have Arthur, though it was a massive wrench for him to give Arthur away, obviously.
Anyway, Arthur has been with us since Sunday and seems to have settled in well. He's twelve years old, tabby and white, very affectionate and we love him to pieces. I wasn't planning on getting a cat as old as that but he just looked so beautiful in the photos on Gumtree I couldn't resist him.

https://goo.gl/photos/446rvQyeAcNV1YEJ9

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2016, 09:59 

Greetings, Arthur! He does sound like a lovely character, and here's wishing him a long and healthy life with you. :D

I can see lots of reasons why the charities ask for a fee these days, but what with that and the very cautious risk assessments, I do wonder if there aren't some cats missing out on good, maybe even ideal, new homes.

I'm still feeling sad that the cat we'd set our hearts on rescuing has now been assessed as not suitable to live with other cats - clearly it's better than it not working out if we'd taken him, but at that rate we probably wouldn't have been allowed one of our first two cats either, they sound so similar (and we worked through all his problems all right, and emphasised that).

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2016, 15:11 

Oh, RubyGates, he's beautiful! I hope you live happily together for many years. I can see just why the former owner was sad to lose him.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2016, 16:07 
Presenting your school report
Presenting your school report

Ohh, Arthur is just beautiful, rubygates! Congratulations! And while sad of course, I'm sure his previous owner is glad that he's going to such a good home.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2016, 17:17 

Arthur is gorgeous! Hugs to all those who have recently lost beloved pets or who have sick ones.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2016, 21:47 
Learning to play Lacrosse
Learning to play Lacrosse

Arthur is lovely - wishing you and him all the best in his new home!

Maud just decided to stick her face through the handles of my Lush paper bag and then went charging around the house wearing it - breaking my bottle of conditioner and scaring herself thoroughly in the process. Luckily she lost the bag after a couple of seconds and didn't do herself any injuries but it was a bit of a heart-stopper! (Didn't lose much of the conditioner either!)

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2016, 09:39 

Hmmmm, after disappearing completely for a while Arthur has just strolled into my bedroom with his face covered in cobwebs and dust. I really have no idea where he's been getting into. I'm not the most houseproud person but there are no obvious cobwebs anywhere so I don't know where he collected them.
I'll try and follow him next time, he's probably been exploring somewhere where he's likely to get stuck.
I found him trying to climb up the chimney yesterday.

(There are far too many wheres in that paragraph but can't be helped :D)

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2016, 14:31 
End of term...again
End of term...again

When Pippin was a baby she'd dive into the garage at any opportunity and spend hours exploring. She'd always emerge with a face covered in cobwebs, which on a tiny black kitten was the cutest thing ever! We've managed to persuade her out of that habit now...

Outskirts Of The Twenties: Polari

Non-CS fic: Late Back (Good Omens)

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2016, 14:48 
Battling with Matey
Battling with Matey

I know it is nature red in tooth and claw, but some vicious magpie has just murdered one of our fledgling blackbirds. They can't be content with stealing the eggs! It is very hard to accept. :cry:

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2016, 15:23 

Sorry, Doot, but you're right, that's nature. It's not a conscious decision on the part of the magpie to be murderous to the fledgling, it's simply that it has a need for food (may have young of its own to feed, in fact). At least, unlike humans, birds normally only kill in defence or from hunger.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 May 2016, 20:51 
...and Results
...and Results

Topsy has decided that the safest place for her kittens is the top shelf of the wardrobe, which she accesses by jumping onto the bed, from the bed to the drawers, and thence to the top of the wardrobe, and then somehow balancing on the door and getting into the top shelf. With a kitten in her mouth.

Which was fine when they were born, but now that they are three weeks old, I have been appointed chief nursemaid, and when one fell out at 5:00am, I got woken up with frantic orders to replace it at once, and mount an armed guard to make sure that none of the others fell. Topsy will disapprove, but I am going to move them to the bottom shelf tomorrow. They are beginning to move around, and need to be somewhere safer - as well as somewhere which is not going to require me to wash all my jumpers when she moves out.

Unfortunately, the Duchess's main contribution is to snarl at them whenever she walks past, and when the kittens do come out of the closet, feline politics in my (one room) house are going to get very tense...

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 May 2016, 20:52 

Had minor earthquake here today - 4.2 - I just heard a faint rumbling of thunder but Purrdy Cat ran about like a mad thing and neighbour's dog started whimpering about 30 seconds before the tremor.

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 391 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 15 Aug 2020, 17:16