Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 27 Jan 2021, 13:35

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 391 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dog's Dinner - Do animals know what's going on?
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2015, 15:11 
Learning to stand on your own two feet

Finn wrote:
I've spent the last couple of evenings reading a book about cat senses, behaviour, mental state etc.

It did not mention that it was best to read it whilst under two cats, but that is how I have been reading it.

Everything's better done under a cat or two. Or even better, under a dog :mrgreen:

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2015, 16:45 
End of term...again
End of term...again

fraujackson wrote:
Finn wrote:
I've spent the last couple of evenings reading a book about cat senses, behaviour, mental state etc.

It did not mention that it was best to read it whilst under two cats, but that is how I have been reading it.

Everything's better done under a cat or two. Or even better, under a dog :mrgreen:

Knitting/crochet is an exception to this rule, unless you like working with soggy yarn…

Outskirts Of The Twenties: Polari

Non-CS fic: Late Back (Good Omens)

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2015, 17:00 
Having Miss Annersley for Civics
Having Miss Annersley for Civics

Finn wrote:
fraujackson wrote:
Finn wrote:

Knitting/crochet is an exception to this rule, unless you like working with soggy yarn…

Or ending up with it wound round your legs....

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2015, 17:04 

True...Paddy always thinks that whatever I'm sewing is just the thing to make a Marvellous Whirly-Nest on, exactly as I'm trying to sew it.....

Top | End

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2015, 22:14 
Battling with Matey
Battling with Matey

I wonder how one is supposed to give antibiotics twice a day to a cat who doesn't necessarily come into the house twice a day? Had to take Diamond to the vet for an abscess to be treated yesterday, gave her a pill and let her out of the house this morning and now have no idea when we'll see her next! Might phone the vet and find out how close together the doses can be in case we have to grab any opportunity...

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2015, 17:54 
...and Results
...and Results

Do animals understand what'd going on? My cat seemed to yesterday...

AS background, the Israeli government supplies gas masks to all citizens, in the kind of cardboard boxes which were in style during WW2. We are not allowed to open them unless instructed by the Rear Command, in times of serious risk. Mine has sat ignored on top of the wardrobe since I last changed it, about five years ago.

Yesterday the cat went and sat on top of the wardrobe. Rather than ignoring the gas mask, as normal, she decided to sharpen her claws on it.

Me: That's my gas mask! You might ruin it. You're not allowed to do that!

Cat: Pauses, and give inquisitive look.

Me: But it probably won't make a difference anyway... (thinking that the main threat is nuclear war, and a gas mask won't protect against radiation)

Cat: Resumes operations

Me: Stop it! If I take it back open without instructions, they could fine me fortune!

Cat: Stops and gives me long suffering look. Does that really matter?

Me: And then I won't be able to buy you food!

Cat: Jumps off wardrobe and goes to sit in basket with innocent air.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2015, 17:19 
Arguing from cause to effect

It is officially Spring in my household today, as our tortoise has come out of hibernation.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2015, 17:55 
End of term...again
End of term...again

Tortoise! My grandparents kept a tortoise once, or should I say a tortoise lived with them for a bit, since he wandered into their garden one day and decided to stay.
He stuck around for quite some years before moving out one day without saying goodbye!

I remembered this yesterday because my grandparents have lots of small tortoise models around their fireplace :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2015, 17:18 

We have a tortoise because SLOC has a fur and feather allergy so couldn't have the conventional cat, dog, budgie etc as a child. At the point when we got married, he still had three tortoises, which his father had named Pip, Squeak and Wilfred (the latter known as Wilf for short and the sole surviving harbinger of Spring).

The following music and tortoise themed story should particularly appeal to Finn!

After Pip had failed to make it through hibernation one year and we only had Squeak and Wilf, I overheard my son (then aged 2 1/2) talking to them in the garden one day. I couldn't understand why he was addressing Squeak as 'Peter' as he knew full well their names. So I asked him. He looked at me in utter innocence and said "I'm playing Peter and the Wilf."

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2015, 17:44 
End of term...again
End of term...again

Oh that is literally the sweetest thing I've heard all day!

In other news, cats certainly do know some things. After years of Pippin being kicked and trodden on, due to being small and black, she has learned to look out for herself. She was dozing under the wardrobe just now when I came up to hang something in it, and she twitched her ears and said, "Mraowp!" - which is feline for, "watch out please don't step on me!" Cunning beastie ;)

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2015, 09:06 
Indulging in a midnight feast
Indulging in a midnight feast

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -them.html

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2015, 09:33 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

That's amazing, Liz - did you see the story recently where the dogs wrecked the car of the man who kicked one of them out of his parking space?
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 03155.html

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2015, 14:56 
Having a say in the Sale theme

Prompted by the mention of toys for cats elsewhere, lots of our cats' best-loved playthings are free: empty cardboard boxes are damn-near irrestible, for example (especially with a small rattly something in there as well to bat about, like a nut, or twig. Others that have appealed over the years: feathers, the ball out of an empty roll-on deodorant (just don't sever a vein trying to get it out is all I ask), a small twist of newspaper, biro caps and half clothes-pegs (best on polished or tiled floors)...

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2015, 15:01 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

Table tennis balls are fun if you have any.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2015, 15:34 
Presenting your school report

Some awesome ideas here, thank you!

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2015, 15:58 

But cats being cats, you'll be telling us by the end of next week that Lucy doesn't care for any of those, and has found something to play with that we'd not mentioned! :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2015, 16:50 
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley

Of course cat may perceive that you bought her something specially, and spurn it on that basis alone. Then after a month of being ignored it might suddenly become the coolest cat toy ever and he/she will be inseparable from it. Then later it will become hated again.

Such are cats. At least in my experience.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2015, 17:12 
Climbing with your knees bent
Climbing with your knees bent

Lots of really helpful advice here, Abi. The only thing I really want to add is that if Lucy takes a while to settle in, or seems nervous, try Feliway. Stress symptoms for a cat include some things that seem quite odd to humans, like going to the toilet in a place where she knows she shouldn't, and standing on her hind feet scratching up the walls. Feliway contains cat pheromones and will help her feel safe and at home. It makes a life-changing difference for both our cats: the nervous one stopped being nervous and even the confident one is more relaxed and happier.

The other thing that is worth mentioning is that if she does go to the toilet somewhere you don't want her to, it's really important to take the smell away. When you are new to each other she might not know where the right place is, or she might use the wrong place out of nervousness or stress. But once somewhere smells like a toilet, she will keep going there - at that point it's normal cat behaviour, not an indication of something wrong. There are lots of commercial products that claim to remove the smell, but in my experience only one that really does (at least as far as the cat is concerned, and of course her nose is much more sensitive than yours!). Luckily it isn't prohibitively expensive, but you will only be able to get it from the vet's or from the interweb, not from a pet shop. This is the stuff. Make sure you get the one with a purple label, that gets rid of smells and stains.

I don't have shares in either of these companies. I'm just owned by two cats who have occasionally had problems.

My website - Joyful Jewellery

Joyful Jewellery on Facebook

[url=http://joyful-jewellery.myshopify.com/blogs/news/79806723-christmas-2015New blog post 28th November[/url]

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2015, 17:27 

Thanks Jo, that's really helpful advice. I'm currently researching pet insurance. :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2015, 17:38 
Deciding to learn Russian
Deciding to learn Russian

Abi wrote:
Thanks Jo, that's really helpful advice. I'm currently researching pet insurance. :D

I can recommend Pet Plan, Abi. They've been brilliant with all Abby's problems the last few years, costing well over £12,000 if we'd been paying for it all!! :shock: In all that time, they have never increased the premium, apart from the usual small cost of living rise. The only thing you have to watch is that they do ask you to pay 20% of the whole cost of treatment when your cat reaches the age of 10, rather than the usual 10%. That caught us unawares after Abby's first op.

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 391 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 27 Jan 2021, 13:35