Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 15:31

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Public Service Announcements Part Four
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2017, 17:07 
Presenting your school report

My gripe on this simply relates to men not having to define their status on any form. They are all Mr. People can read all sorts of implications into the female choice.

If we were all Mrs, or Miss or Ms or whatever I wouldn't object and in countries where everyone over 18 is Mrs, that's fine by me.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2017, 10:51 
Spending time in the san
Spending time in the san

And why do we need to enter a title on a form anyway? I would have thought they were pretty irrelevant. Does it matter to the person reading the form or acting in it, that we are Mr or Ms or Mrs or whatever.

A work colleague has taken to choosing Prof whenever its an option. Needless to say, she isn't a professor :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2017, 11:17 
Learning to play Lacrosse

RubyGates wrote:
Someone the Younger wrote:
Yikes...

What's your hedgehog actually called? :)

:D it was actually my sister sending the message to me. She'd found a hedgehog in her shed and she was trying to ask "should I put a blanket over him?"
If it stays long enough she'll probably call it something stunningly originally like Prickles or Spike :lol:

We had a pea-hen in our front drive once. She stayed forever, and I named her Priscilla, after a character in my novel. Dad put some photos of her into our yearbook.

Everyone's mad but thee and me, and thee's a little mad...

My Blog: A Way with Words - A Note on Developing Style, under yet another alias.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 00:17 
Learning the difference - can and may

The whole title thing bugs me. The term Master is rarely used now for young boys but it was deregatory that when it was boys changed to Mr about the age of 14 but women did not change from Miss ever unless they married.

I know some people like their title but should the current multiple choice of women's titles not be getting phased out so women will have only one possible title eventually.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 07:38 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

It's happened in a lot of countries. Mademoiselle is now only used for children and very young women, and I gather that Fraulein's now seen as being quite offensive.

All women were called Mrs in the 17th century and early 18th century.

Apart from the fact that it has some rather unfortunate connotations (but so does madam, and that gets used, I quite like Mistress, of which Miss and Mrs are both abbreviations. It sounds much grander and more important than either Miss or Mrs :lol:. And it's no longer than saying Mister.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 10:03 
Matey awakes!
Matey awakes!

MaryR wrote:
lizco wrote:
I tick other whenever possible.

That wouldn't really have helped me, Lizco, as they wanted my title so they could send information. :D

But I do really object to being Ms. And there was no facility to be a Miss. Do Misses not rent apartments? :roll:

I rent a Housing Association bungalow, and as stated in a previous post, I am most definitely and unashamedly a 'Miss'. No doubt there are plenty of Misses who rent apartments too. :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 12:21 

Quote:
But I do really object to being Ms. And there was no facility to be a Miss. Do Misses not rent apartments?

Maybe they need permission from their father or brother or some random bloke that they pick up off the street.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 12:59 

JS wrote:
Quote:
But I do really object to being Ms. And there was no facility to be a Miss. Do Misses not rent apartments?

Maybe they need permission from their father or brother or some random bloke that they pick up off the street.

I still remember the embarrassment of having to get my father to 'guarantee' my mortgage in 1974 ... I was earning way more than him, but the Building Society didn't see it that way...

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2017, 20:10 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

When your neighbour asks if you'd do some more German to English translation and says that it'll be nice and easy this time because the texts were based on info from Wikipedia, don't believe her! She used the German Wiki. I can now confirm that the German entries for Hollywood and Titanic differ radically from the English language ones!

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2017, 09:46 

abbeybufo wrote:
JS wrote:
Quote:

I still remember the embarrassment of having to get my father to 'guarantee' my mortgage in 1974 ... I was earning way more than him, but the Building Society didn't see it that way...

Wow! I hope it's not still like that!

Everyone's mad but thee and me, and thee's a little mad...

My Blog: A Way with Words - A Note on Developing Style, under yet another alias.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2017, 10:35 

Someone the Younger wrote:
abbeybufo wrote:
JS wrote:
Quote:

Wow! I hope it's not still like that!

Not at the moment. But with the way the world is presently going, who knows?

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2017, 10:51 

Abbeybufo was talking about something that happened 43 years ago. The world has moved on a lot since then.

Separate taxation for married women has only come about within the last 30 years. I sometimes think (as you do, when you're worrying about fictional people's tax affairs) how annoying it must have been for Madge to have had her income from the school taxed as part of her husband's income - when he was presumably earning whopping great amounts and being taxed at the highest rate. Ditto Joey's income from her books. But times have changed :D .

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2017, 13:35 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

Although as cestina says, with the way the world is presently going... *shudder*

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2017, 15:26 
Swapping addresses
Swapping addresses

Alison H wrote:
Separate taxation for married women has only come about within the last 30 years. I sometimes think (as you do, when you're worrying about fictional people's tax affairs) how annoying it must have been for Madge to have had her income from the school taxed as part of her husband's income - when he was presumably earning whopping great amounts and being taxed at the highest rate. Ditto Joey's income from her books. But times have changed :D .
It's odd, actually: whatever the law may say about separate taxation for married women only coming in in 1990, I think that was more a question of legal responsibility for paying and who got or could have the allowances/ reliefs. I've always paid my own tax, and been assessed separately, and have been married since 1979. I worked at the local Tax Office when I left Uni (1973), and PAYE (Pay [Tax] as You Earn) was deducted from the earnings of all employees, including married women: I remember that we had to sort out one awkward situation where Mr S had not been deducting anything from his employee's wages because he had wrongly assumed that her husband paid her tax for her. But yes, different for Madge and Jo, of course, as they were not employees - unless Madge was a Director of the limited company that ran the school.

Last edited by Noreen on 25 Apr 2017, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2017, 15:28 

Maybe that was one reason she converted the school to a limited company. I'm sure Jem would have been getting tax planning advice from an old school pal :D .

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2017, 15:30 
Swapping addresses
Swapping addresses

:D I think that's a certainty!

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 22:17 
Promising to do better
Promising to do better

Noreen wrote:
It's odd, actually: whatever the law may say about separate taxation for married women only coming in in 1990, I think that was more a question of legal responsibility for paying and who got or could have the allowances/ reliefs. I've always paid my own tax, and been assessed separately, and have been married since 1979. I worked at the local Tax Office when I left Uni (1973), and PAYE (Pay [Tax] as You Earn) was deducted from the earnings of all employees, including married women: I remember that we had to sort out one awkward situation where Mr S had not been deducting anything from his employee's wages because he had wrongly assumed that her husband paid her tax for her.

There were separate arrangements for the taxation of Civil Servants. I understood that it was due to the numbers involved.

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2017, 23:02 
Swapping addresses
Swapping addresses

Thanks, Victoria, that's intriguing - but my main task when I worked for the Revenue was to liaise with new employers, and the instructions were that PAYE was to be applied to all employees who were earning above a certain amount, with no exceptions (as I had to explain to poor Mr S). Of course, a good many married women either earned money from temporary or seasonal employment, or had income from sources other than employment, and their tax no doubt was assessed with that of their husbands.

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2017, 22:17 
Remove to Inter V
Remove to Inter V

A friend who is now a Rev finds it impossible to choose that on forms where she's also had to tick Female. Computer says impossible, apparently.

I'd agree completely with a blank box where you could just write in your own choice of title. People should be able to use whichever one best represents them.

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2017, 10:12 
Being rude to your sheepdog

"God-Emperor of the Universe" - or is that too long?

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 15:31