Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 24 Oct 2017, 03:04

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Public Service Announcements Part Four
PostPosted: 03 Jun 2017, 02:10 
Discovering ink blots in your Latin prep
Discovering ink blots in your Latin prep

In my bedroom, I have a metal electric kettle (hate plastic ones because they look cheap and can make your drinks taste funny). It has a lid that isn't hinged, but just pulls off with a centre knob. Of course it was never sensible to carry it by the knob not the handle, but fortunately it wasn't full of boiled water when the lid first came off that way.

The other day though, I had just finished eating, and put the kettle on my bed for herbal tea and coffee. Somehow it managed to tip over behind me, and scalded some of my toes with boiled water. Thankfully it wasn't serious, but the kettle incident in Gay from China must have been absolutely horrific! Of course it's a plot device, but it doesn't seem like Madge to be so careless. I'm pretty sure that when I was a child, there was much awareness of the danger of a kettle flex being pulled and scalding you.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2017, 08:54 
Presenting your school report

I think it unlikely this would have been an electric kettle. The kettle would have been on a hob - either a range or a gas stove, and Sibyl was trying to take it off as it was boiling - even electric kettles didn't switch themselves off at this point - if they even existed in the 1940s, the technology for that was developed later in the war, though not used domestically for several years.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2017, 12:14 
Discovering you have to be trilingual

Doesn't Miss Annersley have an electric kettle in Tirol? I'm sure she makes tea for Jo when she is emotional on hearing Robin is going to be okay healthwise. It must be in 'The Chalet School and Jo'.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2017, 18:43 

I think Miss Annersley probably had a Tauchsieder. Even when I lived in Germany in 1959 electric kettles were still a rarity. I suppose she might have imported one from England though.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2017, 19:12 
...and being forgiven
...and being forgiven

Supersal wrote:
Doesn't Miss Annersley have an electric kettle in Tirol? I'm sure she makes tea for Jo when she is emotional on hearing Robin is going to be okay healthwise. It must be in 'The Chalet School and Jo'.

It does say in And Jo: 'These were followed by fruit and custard, and then Miss Annersley made tea with her electric kettle, and this refreshed Jo more than anything.'

That doesn't sound much like an element to put in the hot water to heat it up, as you've just mentioned, cestina - but I wasn't aware of electric kettles being around so very early on, even in UK. I must admit my knowledge of such things is minimal, but we are only talking mid 1930s. :dontknow:

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2017, 19:30 
End of term...again
End of term...again

It would seem that the first electric kettles were produced at the end of the nineteenth century, although I'm not sure how widespread they were.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Jun 2017, 11:20 
Learning to play Lacrosse
Learning to play Lacrosse

Always make sure that you log out of your school email, or at least make sure there is at least one password between your friends and your email. This hasn't happened to me, but in recent weeks, we've had someone asking their housemistress for toilet paper in an "emergency situation", a lost property email (quite common) for someone's virginity, and someone who couldn't make it to something due to a heavy period, which they updated us on frequently - all sent to the entire school. Lesson learned: friends are not to be trusted.

Everyone's mad but thee and me, and thee's a little mad...

My Blog: A Way with Words - A Note on Developing Style, under yet another alias.

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2017, 18:45 
End of term hi-jinks
End of term hi-jinks

Don't put your mobile in the back pocket of your jeans unless you want to fish it out of the loo at some stage!

(Mobile now immersed in a bed of rice in the hope that it will dry out and work again.)

Top | End

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 13:06 
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress
Having Miss Ferrars as Form Mistress

If you're going frantic in the kitchen looking for the cup you usually break eggs into, try to remember it's on the counter, right in front of you, already holding the eggs you need. :roll:

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2017, 03:17 
Learning the difference - can and may
Learning the difference - can and may

lizco wrote:
Don't put your mobile in the back pocket of your jeans unless you want to fish it out of the loo at some stage!

(Mobile now immersed in a bed of rice in the hope that it will dry out and work again.)

Ha ha. That has nearly happened to me a few times and also with other stuff dropping out which I had forgotten was there.

Well done with the eggs RubyGates!

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2017, 23:13 
Playing up in prep
Playing up in prep

When you are very excited at having won tickets to the Russian Ballet, don't sit around on the evening in question having completely forgotten it is on! (Thank goodness my sister sent me a text to say she was on her way to the theatre).

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2017, 18:04 
Dashing off for your part in the play

Joanne wrote:
When you are very excited at having won tickets to the Russian Ballet, don't sit around on the evening in question having completely forgotten it is on! (Thank goodness my sister sent me a text to say she was on her way to the theatre).

Oh no - that happened to us once, only it was tickets to a Oliver Costello concert and we only realised when SLOC happened upon the tickets two days later. :P

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2017, 18:21 
Swapping addresses
Swapping addresses

On a more mundane level, when your council gives you a nice large recycling bin, and you put some more in it, it is not a desperately good idea to drop your front door keys in there as well...

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2017, 21:04 

Noreen wrote:
On a more mundane level, when your council gives you a nice large recycling bin, and you put some more in it, it is not a desperately good idea to drop your front door keys in there as well...

Oops! :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2017, 23:18 
Playing up in prep
Playing up in prep

Jools wrote:
Joanne wrote:

Oh no - that happened to us once, only it was tickets to a Oliver Costello concert and we only realised when SLOC happened upon the tickets two days later. :P

That must have been dreadful, Jools! Especially if you had bought the tickets.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2017, 23:35 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

Noreen wrote:

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who ends up head first in the recycle bin from time to time. One of these days it'll end up with just my feet dangling out of the top of it!

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2017, 02:22 
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

Annied wrote:
Noreen wrote:

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who ends up head first in the recycle bin from time to time. One of these days it'll end up with just my feet dangling out of the top of it!

We have extra large recycling bins in the basement of our building. When you're as vertically challenged as I am, it's quite a feat to be able to hold the lid open at the same time as dumping the contents of my own (usual domestic size) recycling bin into it; I have been known to drop my actual bin in along with the papers and have to hope some kind person will come along and help me retrieve it! :roll: :oops:

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2017, 08:47 
Swapping addresses
Swapping addresses

Sorry, but very cheering to hear that others have recycling incidents too! :D Our bins are tall, quite lightweight and wider at the top, so no way stable enough for me to dive down, perhaps fortunately.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2017, 12:32 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

Annied wrote:
Noreen wrote:

When the ice bucket challenge was all the rage a couple of summers ago my brother (who is allegedly a functioning adult) had the bright idea of filling their wheelie bin with ice and water, and diving off the garage roof into it. Fortunately he scrapped the idea when he realised that if his initial momentum was not enough to tip the bin over, neither I nor his girlfriend were strong enough to tip it over ourselves, so he would have been stuck head down in it, and probably drowned..

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017, 13:02 
Matey awakes!
Matey awakes!

Annied wrote:
Noreen wrote:

I have the same problem. Though I have discovered that laying the bin on its side (if not too full) often helps.

And don't get me started on almost-empty supermarket freezers and items which are moved to a higher shelf! A few weeks ago, my local Tesco moved an item which I buy regularly from the bottom shelf to one which I can't quite reach (I'm less than 5 ft tall). They replaced said item with a more expensive version of the same thing, which surprised me a bit as I'd always read that those items tend to be at eye level.

Now, I have to ask a member of staff or (more often) an obliging passing customer to help me. To be fair, I've never had anyone refuse. But that's not the point. I would do the same for anyone else, if the situation was reversed.

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 24 Oct 2017, 03:04