Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 20 Aug 2019, 16:10

Post subject: Clutter - or not!
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2019, 11:40 
Attending a prees' meeting
Attending a prees' meeting

While we all know that we should have our drawers in pristine order, or Matey will want to haul us out of lessons (I'm sure that was not popular with the teaching staff!), it's even easier these days than it was in CS times to end up with clutter in the house, and even at work.

Do you have trouble keeping on top of it, or are you a ruthless minimalist? Does it make you feel uncomfortable, or do you prefer to have at least some? How easy do you find it to get rid of things, and do you have any good tips to pass on?

Edited to correct a typo

Last edited by Noreen on 12 Apr 2019, 07:53, edited 1 time in total.

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Clutter - or not!
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2019, 12:40 
Sharing a joke with the doctor
Sharing a joke with the doctor

My sympathies, Noreen. I'm afraid I'm anything but a minimalist, so haven't any tips to pass on. There are books in every spare corner of our house and SLOC has finally declared, *No more bookcases!" But how do you cull books? They're friends. And never look untidy!

There are boxes containing all sorts under the long sideboard.My stash of card-making stuff spreads out well beyond the room I use, and lingers in cupboards all over the house - and frequently falls out of said cupboards. The run of wardrobes in the guest bedroom - also the largest - is bulging. Not just with summer clothes, but with more books, files of all sorts, children's games (for grandchildrens' visits), spare boxes to use to send gifts, large rolls of bubble-wrap, spare picture frames, old vinyls and cds, etc As for any and every cupboard and drawer - full to overflowing. Need I go on?

But how do you part with something you love or might need? I do occasionally - very occasionally - go through a cupboard or drawer, and actually take something to a charity shop, but am more likely to move it to somewhere else in the house. SLOC will occasionally mumble "Do we really need this?" and is not too fond of lots of flowers and ornaments around the place, but he's very laid back, on the whole, and puts up with it. I think having a teenage daughter many, many years ago, whose floor one could never actually see, taught him to accept 'stuff'. :roll:

Sorry, Noreen! :dontknow:

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2019, 12:50 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I have an annual clearout every November/December, but it usually involves taking everything out of the drawers and cupboards and then putting it back in! Books do get cleared out ever so often, because there just isn't room in the house to keep every book I've read, and drawers and cupboards are kept tidy, but I have terrible trouble parting with anything. I'm a historian - I'm trained to keep everything!!

Ahem - I still have stationery from when I was at when I was at school. I don't suppose I'm ever going to use it now, if I haven't used it in the quarter of a century since, but you never know …

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2019, 18:44 
End of term...again
End of term...again

It's funny this should come up now, because I was having this exact conversation only last week with someone. They had been given a book, which shows you how to store stuff, and how to de-clutter, and I'd actually taken one of the tips she'd used and told me about and I used it on my underwear drawer. It looks a lot tidier, folding underwear up, but not sure how long it will stay neat for!
I'm also a hoarder, and feel guilty every now and then and have clear outs, but I still seem to have a lot of clutter. I have drawers full of writing paper, jewellery, and not to mention books - I'm running out of room for even my GGBP, and any special books none kindle that are kept. Sigh! One day it'll all be in order :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2019, 00:40 
End of term hi-jinks
End of term hi-jinks

I gave up around a year ago and now rent a small storage unit where I keep all the stuff I don't need to see, but do need to know is still there, mostly for sentimental reasons. If I had a loft, that's where it would be stored, but since I don't, a storage unit seemed like a good alternative.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2019, 05:56 
Playing Impertinent Questions
Playing Impertinent Questions

I am, sadly, a hoarder, which, given my penchant for moving countries is incredibly unhelpful! I had a friend help me sort through stuff when I moved just over a year ago, and it was really helpful. I'm now committed to an annual declutter. I do know someone in London who offers services helping with this and can see myself asking her to spend an afternoon helping if I ever move back. :-)

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2019, 17:40 
Asked to help with the play
Asked to help with the play

I've got better over the years. I feel much of my hoarding was due to having been poor for most of my life so I didn't like to throw out anything "in case" it became useful. No point in wasting money buying something again.

However, I think the biggest change has been not buying things because they are cheap now and I will use them at some time in the future. I am conscious I am older than my mother was when she died so I am trying to use-up things rather than leave stuff for other people to sort out. If you don't need it now: don't buy it now!

This goes for books as well. I try to keep strictly to buying books on my lists and not starting off new authors, for example. It doesn't quite work but I certainly buy fewer books than I used to do. Being prepared to throw out books has been another change. It used to be that books not in a fit state to be donated on just hung around for ever. Now, I am prepared to bite the bullet and bin them.

Moving, I have found, is a very good way of making me clear out stuff. All those half-packets of things go as moving them is more trouble than it's worth. That obviously does not work for other people!

I do clear out clothes that I don't wear. The chances of my ever requiring a ballgown again is slight and no-one really needs half-a-dozen dinner dresses. I'm not quite in the "if you haven't worn it for x months, ditch it" but I go through my clothes a couple of times a year and try to clear out the most obvious things I'm not going to wear again. Again, I only buy replacement clothes now. I don't add anything. (Mind you, I still have 3 wool overcoats, a thick red wrap, a thick black wrap, a thin black wrap, a black cloak, a summer coat, a summer jacket, two leather jackets and a mackintosh so it doesn't always work...)

One tip I feel useful is that: if it has lived in a box for a year without you needing it, getting it out or otherwise bothering with it then you don't need it. That goes for things that live in drawers too. If the only time you think of something is when you are tidying out the drawer then you neither need nor really want it. If it's a family heirloom, offer it to other members of the family. If they don't want it, it goes out.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2019, 11:22 
Fifth Form!
Fifth Form!

In spite of the fact that I moved 9 times in 11 years when I lived in Spain, I am by nature a hoarder. It was probably the frequent moves that kept my natural tendency under control!

I think childhood influences are important here. We were not well off when I was growing up and my mum was a hoarder. I remember trying to sort her stuff out after she moved into a home not long before she died. It had been the family home since 1962, and the amount of stuff she'd accumulated was incredible.

I did most of it, then my sister and brothers (who lived closer to her than I did), did the rest of it, although I think they had to get one of those house clearance firms in the end.

I am a hoarder of books, too. I still have 3 boxes of books, which have not been unpacked (due to lack of space) since I moved into my bungalow 3 and a half years ago. I suspect that when I do get round to it, many of them will go either to the charity book table at Tescos or another charity shop, because if I haven't missed reading them in all this time, I probably won't. There are some books, though, that I would never give away.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2019, 20:40 
Declaring it to have been the best term
Declaring it to have been the best term

We sold our house in Bristol and have bought a smaller one our son will be living in. It took me 3 weeks to clear everything, set aside the stuff that was coming out to France and then sell, donate to charity shops or throw the rest of our belongings. It was very painful - 6 bookcases and over 1,500 books were among the things that didn't make it. :cry:

However, where we are living now is lovely and I do have all my Girls Gone By books with me now.

Top | End

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2019, 15:01 
Finding out about the Sale
Finding out about the Sale

I had a declutter over the weekend, I've taken three black binbags to the charity shop, recycled a bag of clothes and nearly filled the bins. This is most out of character as I am generally a bit of a hoarder

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 20 Aug 2019, 16:10