Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 27 Jul 2017, 21:40

Post subject: Tips for dry eyes?
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2016, 12:00 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

I know this sounds silly, but dry eyes have been bothering me for weeks. Possibly months; I forget. I think it's probably because of being so tired, but I don't know. Anyway, my eyes are constantly very dry and tired-feeling (and the right one waters all the time which is a bit annoying). Anyone have any tips to help with this?

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Tips for dry eyes?
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2016, 12:12 
Battling with Matey
Battling with Matey

Ask a pharmacist or optician before doing anything.

I use over-the-counter stuff such as Optrex or Boots own brand - on advice of our (late and much lamented) OH doctor.

Try one which is "artificial tears". But do ask professional advice first 'cos if one's watering may need to exclude any thing which needs a dr's opinion.

"Association does not infer causality"

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2016, 12:22 
Playing the competitions
Playing the competitions

I can vouch for 'artificial tears' being effective, always assuming you've been checked out by doctor or optician. Think it's called hypromellose (sp?). Often chemist's/Boots' own brand and is therefore a lot cheaper than Optrex et al so you can happily slosh it in.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2016, 12:24 
Attending a prees' meeting
Attending a prees' meeting

Seconding judithR's advice about talking to an optician (especially) or pharmacist. One small thing you can do yourself without danger is to try to make sure you're not in too warm and dry an atmosphere - easier said than done at this time of the year, I know!

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2016, 12:39 
Lamenting the amount of work
Lamenting the amount of work

SLOC uses Hypromellose to good effect - & yes, you did spell it correctly sealpuppy, I went to check!

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2016, 14:25 
Beginning of term speech
Beginning of term speech

Echoing the advice to get your eyes checked by a professional. They may just be overtired, but better safe than sorry.

Do you spend a lot of time on a computer/tablet/anything with a screen? If so you might want to try and cut back a little as that won't be helping.

I've used over-the-counter drops when I've had very bad hay fever and they do help, but definitely see a GP or optician first!

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2016, 14:35 
Getting into trouble with Mlle Berne
Getting into trouble with Mlle Berne

I also find artificial tears very useful and have been prescribed them by the GP, along with my steroid eye drops (related but tedious story). I have to pay for my prescriptions so I just buy the dry eye drops over the counter as they cost less than the prescription charge, but if you qualify for free prescriptions it would be well worth seeing if you could get them that way.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2016, 16:57 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Thank you for all the replies! I'm seeing my GP on Tuesday anyway, so I'll mention it then and see what she says.

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2016, 03:46 
Going to tea at Freudesheim
Going to tea at Freudesheim

Another vote for "artificial tears" - I've found the name brand to be better than the generic because of the packaging spout, but not for the actual product. Good luck - I find eye irritation very distracting!

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2017, 15:33 
Donating it to the Childrens' Ward

Public health announcement: Just a small note to say my mum had dry/watery eyes for years before being diagnosed with Sjogren's syndrome, which is an autoimmune condition affecting the moisture-producing bits of the body (e.g. dry mouth and other bits you might be thinking of). I think Venus Williams also has it. Not meaning to alarm anyone, and dry eyes are obviously very common, but it is an under-diagnosed condition (more common in women) so it might be worth a quick google.

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2017, 15:52 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Yes, Venus has had Sjogen Syndrome for several years.

I wear contact lenses and find that my eyes get dry in winter because the heating tends to be on everywhere, and that dries out the air. Same thing can happen with air conditioning, but it's never usually hot enough here to need that :roll: .

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2017, 16:21 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Thanks for the heads up, JS. Turns out I've got a few of the symptoms! (not that I think I've got it - the dryness is really only mild)

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2017, 18:09 
Still bored
Still bored

JS wrote:
Public health announcement: Just a small note to say my mum had dry/watery eyes for years before being diagnosed with Sjogren's syndrome, which is an autoimmune condition affecting the moisture-producing bits of the body.

It was thought I had this about fifteen years ago when I finally had to give up wearing contact lenses, as my eyes were too dry and painful, and I was drinking constantly. It was found I didn't have the condition, but when I wake up in the morning my eyes are extremely dry and very painful, so I have to use drops not just night and morning, but during the day as well. I drink water all day long, because I'm continually thirsty, and if it's hot my tongue literally sticks to the roof of my mouth. Some medication has the same effect, one angina medication in particular, which makes it very hard for doctors to prescribe anything. Interestingly, the spray usually given for angina attacks produces an instant migraine, so that also had to go by the board! :roll:

Good luck with it, Abbey!

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2017, 18:24 

It's hard to diagnose because there's no specific test, as I'm sure you know, Mary. Problem for Mum was that she was seeing various doctors from the group GP practice for various different symptoms and it was only when we read something on the internet that we put it all together.

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2017, 20:17 
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley

I wear hard contact lens and have been having problems with dry, itchy eyes over a couple of weeks. Saw my optician last week and she said there was a problem with my tear ducts - not enough liquid being produced. She recommended that I put a hot flannel over my eyes for ten minutes three times a day. After that, cleanse around my eyes with a special optical cleansing tissue. Have done this for three days now and already seeing improvement. Good luck Abbey.

Top | End

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2017, 21:08 
Arguing with your guardian

In the past I've found a cold eye mask can help with tired eyes.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 27 Jul 2017, 21:40