Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 24 Oct 2017, 03:09

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pedants of the World (or the CBB) unite!
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2017, 13:21 
Matey awakes!
Matey awakes!

Just spotted another typo in the contents of a petition.

Publically - I hope I don't need to say what it should be!

The word appears actually twice in the same blurb. For some reason, it is spelt correctly the second time. :lol:

Tyical response, I'm afraid, Alison. Customer service is all too often a misnomer (or possibly an oxymoron!).

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2017, 17:08 
Hearing strange noises in the night

Saw a notice at the bus stop today "Under-18s can get 1/3 off the bus" Doesn't really make sense without adding "fare" !

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2017, 12:55 
Matey awakes!
Matey awakes!

Why do news correspondents persist in pronouncing Cordoba in Spain CorDOHba? I heard it again on the BBC Breakfast News, when they were discussing record temperatures - apparently it had the highest temperature in southern Europe yesterday, which doesn't surprise me.

The correct pronunciation is CORdoba, with the stress on the first syllable, as helpfully indicated by the accent which appears on that syllable. (The city's name appeared on the screen with the accent in place, even though it wouldn't necessarily be marked in written Spanish when the name is in capitals.)

I realise that this seems to be the standard British English pronunciation, but as a fluent Spanish speaker it really irritates me every time I hear it.

It's not so long ago, that there was a great debate about whether the capital of Afghanistan should be pronounced KAHbul, or KAWbul, so why is this one never challenged? :banghead:

As for the weather, I wish they'd send a bit of the sunshine our way, as we've had lots of rain recently. :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2017, 13:55 
Presenting your school report

Oh how I sympathize Cal. All Czech words stress on the first syllable but try running the names of a few Czech tennis players through your head and see what the commentators make of that rule.

Czechs can't even recognise what we mangle Navratilova into....

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2017, 14:24 
Admiring Tom's latest effort

Quote:
Czechs can't even recognise what we mangle Navratilova into....

Do you remember that Wimbledon umpire, all those years ago?

But then, some foreign commentators, even in English speaking countries, have trouble with British place names and personal names. And I don't suppose the French are going to stop saying Londres and Douvres any time soon.

What really bugs me is when presenters on the local news programmes can't even get local place names right. Just ask somebody - the person next to you might even live there!

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2017, 14:30 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Sue Barker always seems like a lovely person, but her attempts at pronouncing the names of most tennis players of any nationality have me ready to scream :lol: . Andrew Castle is even worse. David Mercer gets a bit carried away, like Doris in the Malory Towers books, with rolling his "r"s, and keeps going on about rrrrrrrrrRafa and rrrrrrrrRoger (neither of whom are French-speaking anyway!), but at least he tries :lol:. As for John McEnroe, bless him ... :lol: .

Local news presenters who get things wrong annoy me as well. I appreciate that it might be confusing that the Manchester suburb of Blackley is pronounced Blakely, but, if you're going to work on a Manchester radio station, you really ought to know that!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2017, 13:21 
Matey awakes!
Matey awakes!

Alison H wrote:
Sue Barker always seems like a lovely person, but her attempts at pronouncing the names of most tennis players of any nationality have me ready to scream :lol: . Andrew Castle is even worse. David Mercer gets a bit carried away, like Doris in the Malory Towers books, with rolling his "r"s, and keeps going on about rrrrrrrrrRafa and rrrrrrrrRoger (neither of whom are French-speaking anyway!), but at least he tries :lol:. As for John McEnroe, bless him ... :lol: .

Local news presenters who get things wrong annoy me as well. I appreciate that it might be confusing that the Manchester suburb of Blackley is pronounced Blakely, but, if you're going to work on a Manchester radio station, you really ought to know that!

For the record, there are some words in Spanish which are spelt with a single 'r' and others which are spelt with a double 'rr'. Sometimes, the difference in spelling changes the meaning: eg, pero - but, perro - dog. In words spelt with 'rr', they are meant to be rolled a little, but certainly not as much as the French do. As far as I know, there are no words in Spanish starting with 'rr'; it only occurs in the middle of a word. So David Mercer is definitely wrong.

(I just googled it out of interest and it brought up far too many discussions on the subject to plow through. However, a cursory glance revealed no reference to words starting with 'rr'. Not at home to check in my Spanish dictionary.)

On the subject of place names, there are many interesting place names in Yorkshire which are regularly mangled in the media. Having grown up in Halifax, one particular stands out for me. There is a village just outside Halifax called Sowerby Bridge, which some trains between Leeds and Manchester pass through. The locals call it Sewby (use a needle and thread)* Bridge. Everyone else I have encountered, including railway announcers, calls it SOWerby (as in an exclamation of pain)* Bridge . That irritates me no end. Many years ago, I was at a job interview in Leeds when one of the panel made reference to Sowerby Bridge. I resisted the urge to correct him, but I still didn't get the job! :lol:

*Bracketed explanations added for clarity.

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2017, 14:37 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

cal562301 wrote:
On the subject of place names, there are many interesting place names in Yorkshire which are regularly mangled in the media. Having grown up in Halifax, one particular stands out for me. There is a village just outside Halifax called Sowerby Bridge, which some trains between Leeds and Manchester pass through. The locals call it Sewby (use a needle and thread)* Bridge. Everyone else I have encountered, including railway announcers, calls it SOWerby (as in an exclamation of pain)* Bridge . That irritates me no end.

So how would you pronounce Martha Sowerby in the Secret Garden..........?!

Top | End

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2017, 14:54 

"Intentionally hot" weather experienced during a holiday in Spain. Well, at least it wasn't hot by accident :roll: .

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 13:47 
Matey awakes!
Matey awakes!

fio wrote:
cal562301 wrote:
On the subject of place names, there are many interesting place names in Yorkshire which are regularly mangled in the media. Having grown up in Halifax, one particular stands out for me. There is a village just outside Halifax called Sowerby Bridge, which some trains between Leeds and Manchester pass through. The locals call it Sewby (use a needle and thread)* Bridge. Everyone else I have encountered, including railway announcers, calls it SOWerby (as in an exclamation of pain)* Bridge . That irritates me no end.

It's a long time since I read The Secret Garden, so I can't remember how I pronounced it to myself then, but my instinctive reaction is to pronounce the first syllable as if I was using a needle and thread. (Hope that makes sense!)

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 14:21 
End of term...again
End of term...again

fio wrote:

As far as I'm aware the Sowerbys in this little corner of Cumbria pronounce it sour-bee. But there could be regional variations.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 14:43 

I've always heard it in my head as close to soar[as in flight]-by ... but then I'm a southerner, so what do I know? :wink:

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 16:37 

There's something about towns in the Pennines :lol:. Whalley is pronounced War-ley, to rhyme with sorely. You don't pronounce the l in Mytholmroyd, because it's a Scandivanian pronunciation like Stockholm. Keighley (Keithley) tends to be better known because of the rugby team, but the name still confuses people who aren't used to it. And Barnoldswick is usually referred to as Barlick, which really does throw people :lol: .

A lot of places aren't pronounced how they're spelt, though. Sports commentators around the world had all sorts of issues announcing that Leicester City were the Premier League champions.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 16:54 

Well if you come to Dorset you're confronted with the River Frome - pronounced Froome, like cyclist Chris - Iwerne Minster, the Iwerne pronounced as if the letters were Welsh ... Yuern as near as I can do it, and Beaminster pronounced Bemster [analogous to Leominster], and just over the Hampshire border is Breamore, pronounced Bremmer :lol: :lol:

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 17:32 

Not just placenames, lots of surnames must be a nightmare for foreigners - Featherstonehaugh (Fanshaw) Beauchamp (Beecham) Mainwaring (Mannering) Cholmondeley (Chumley) Marjoribanks (Marshbanks), lots more!

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 18:09 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

.... Not forgetting all those Irish place names which end in something like aoiaighnneach, generally pronounced 'uh'.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 19:49 
Remove to Inter V
Remove to Inter V

Gottfried wrote:
.... Not forgetting all those Irish place names which end in something like aoiaighnneach, generally pronounced 'uh'.

Ha. Reminds me of asking an American I was about to meet for the first time to get the train to Dun Laoghaire. Spelt it out for him - his response was "no, nothing I just wrote looks anything like what you said".

He managed to get there all the same.

And looking at the names above where half the letters have been swallowed, I have a little sympathy for him, and you, Gottfried.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 19:54 
End of term...again
End of term...again

Another peculiarity of place name pronunciation is Brough. In Cumbria it rhymes with cuff, but in north-east Scotland near Wick it rhymes with loch. There's also one in or near Humberside, I think; does anyone know how that's pronounced?

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 20:16 

The one near Hull is pronounced the same way as the one in Westmorland, I think.

I had trouble with Beaufort, South Carolina, which is pronounced Bew-fort (and has a lot of very nice bookshops). Just to add to the confusion, there's also a Beaufort in North Carolina, which is pronounced Bow-fort, the English way.

Top | End

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2017, 21:00 

Quote:
I had trouble with Beaufort, South Carolina, which is pronounced Bew-fort (and has a lot of very nice bookshops). Just to add to the confusion, there's also a Beaufort in North Carolina, which is pronounced Bow-fort, the English way.

But Beaulieu, in Hampshire, is pronounced Bewley, isn't it?

Belvoir, in Rutland, is Beever.

I know of a place spelled Trottescliffe, which is pronounced Trosley. -leigh or -ly endings in Kent and Sussex are often pronounced -lye.

Quote:
Sports commentators around the world had all sorts of issues announcing that Leicester City were the Premier League champions.

I think a lot of people had trouble with the idea of Leicester City being Premier League champions! :D

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 24 Oct 2017, 03:09