Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 24 Mar 2017, 17:00

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 531 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: The all-new whinges about weather and whatever else thre
PostPosted: 23 Feb 2017, 22:40 
Bored
Bored

I always end up asking restaurants to turn the music down, because, as some people on here know, my own sensory problems make it impossible to eat in comfort otherwise. Some have it on so loud you can't hear yourself think!

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2017, 01:35 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

I have a slightly different problem with music in shops, if it's a particularly foot tapping number (if it isn't, I can usually blot it out). I find it extremely difficult a) not to keep in time to it and b) to stop myself from actually doing a few dance steps. I wish I knew what the track they were playing in Dunelm was when I was in there yesterday. It was a big band number and my walk had more than a hint of Charleston about it.

As you can imagine, I have several friends who have tried to disown me over the years.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2017, 13:33 
Lamenting the amount of work

What dull friends! Of course, I am inured to it, as my sister has been dancing in public for the last twenty years :D .

I received a reply from the Waterstones CEO at eleven o'clock last night, and I must say, I can see how he became the CEO of a large chain of shops. I shall copy it here:

Dear Abbey

We leave each shop to decide whether to play music. The guideline is not to do so unless the shop is in an environment that demands it, for example in a shopping centre with its own music. At the last count, about 60 of our 280 shops were playing music. This is a lot better than the 280 out of 280 that did so when I took over, but I recognise that it will be very annoying for some people (including myself) if you happen to go into one of these 60.

Are they all justified in doing so? Not in my view, but I have determined to run our shops with a very considerable degree of local autonomy. I am obliged by my own rules to respect a local judgement that music is justified and desired by the very great majority of customers.

The only comfort I can offer is that I continue to campaign for silence and steadily have seen success. I will now add consideration of sensory issues. This has not been raised with before.

Which shop is it, incidentally, that you visit? I will pay them special attention.

I am sorry not to answer with more certainty of action.

With kind regards

James

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2017, 13:43 
Getting into trouble with Mlle Berne
Getting into trouble with Mlle Berne

Wow, Abbey! That's quite some reply you received!

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2017, 14:04 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

I almost feel guilty for buying all my books from charity shops after reading that reply.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2017, 14:56 

What a well-considered, caring reply Abbey. As you say, no wonder he is where he is. Brilliant....

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2017, 16:22 
Having a say in the Sale theme
Having a say in the Sale theme

Some charity shops play music, far too loudly. Our local Oxfam bookshop does so, one day I walked up to the counter and demanded that they played some Bach for me.

and yes, they did.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2017, 17:07 
Swept off by Matey to pack

Abbey when you eventually come and visit me I promise I won't take you into our bus station which plays music and annoying music too...

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2017, 18:47 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

emma t wrote:
Abbey when you eventually come and visit me I promise I won't take you into our bus station which plays music and annoying music too...

A few years ago, there was an experiment at one of the local Metro stations here, which was being regularly vandalised. They started piping classical music onto the platforms. I understand the incidences of vandalism plummeted!

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2017, 19:12 

Annied wrote:
emma t wrote:

A few years ago, there was an experiment at one of the local Metro stations here, which was being regularly vandalised. They started piping classical music onto the platforms. I understand the incidences of vandalism plummeted!

I've heard they put it on for that reason too !

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2017, 19:45 
Discovering you have to be trilingual

I read a story about some US policemen playing Justin Bieber songs as a punishment for some minor crimes. I think they sat the offenders in the back of the police car and made them listen. It would be an incentive to make me behave.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2017, 19:50 
Sheepdogging a new girl
Sheepdogging a new girl

Annied wrote:
I have a slightly different problem with music in shops, if it's a particularly foot tapping number (if it isn't, I can usually blot it out). I find it extremely difficult a) not to keep in time to it and b) to stop myself from actually doing a few dance steps. I wish I knew what the track they were playing in Dunelm was when I was in there yesterday. It was a big band number and my walk had more than a hint of Charleston about it.

As you can imagine, I have several friends who have tried to disown me over the years.

I am by no means sure, Annied, but might I hazard a guess at Sing, Sing, Sing? It's a very Charleston-feeling tune (though was actually written in the 1930s and isn't a Charleston at all!) and is quite popular currently…

Outskirts Of The Twenties: Polari

Non-CS fic: Late Back (Good Omens)

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2017, 21:06 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

Thanks for the suggestion Finn, but no it wasn't "Sing, Sing, Sing". That's another track that would have had me dancing down the aisles though, so it's definitely on the right lines. The one in Dunelm reminded me a bit of the song Kara Tointon sang at the start of the first episode of "The Halcyon" It had a female vocalist too.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2017, 21:13 
Sheepdogging a new girl
Sheepdogging a new girl

Electroswing is a big thing these days!

Outskirts Of The Twenties: Polari

Non-CS fic: Late Back (Good Omens)

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2017, 21:41 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

It just sounded like conventional big band music to me, but then the sound systems in shops aren't the greatest, so I wouldn't rule electroswing out. If it is an oldie, it's not one of the better known ones.

I may just have to go back to the shop and ask.

Edited to add that a quick google found an article about Dunelm that includes the information,

"We play original music from unknown artists, saving us £300,000 a year in royalties."

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2017, 16:35 

Here I am with another whinge. Sorry!

I am FURIOUS with Stupid Susy from the CMHT. She said specifically that she would text me by the end of this week to say whether I am allowed to have CAT therapy (the only therapy they do apart from CBT which I am not putting myself through again) or not. Did she? Did she, despite the fact that I texted her on Friday afternoon to remind her to tell me? Did she hell. Stupid lying bitch. It wouldn't be as bad if this was the first time, but she has done this consistently ever since we started meeting two months ago. I have sent her a very long and very sarcastic text message telling her she had jolly well better contact me FIRST THING ON MONDAY MORNING. With the capital letters. Why do people say they will do a thing and then just not do it? Ugh.

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2017, 00:25 
Glad to be back at school
Glad to be back at school

I am guessing you can't swap Susy for someone else/complain about her lax communication?

I mean, sometimes things do get in the way and I am not always on top of my work e.g. if someone asks me for something I should say "I will reply in due course" but I don't do this as much as I should.

I would keep texting her/contacting her on a daily basis tbh.

Oh, great about the bookshop music, btw! My friend has met him (she works for that chain) and confirms he is nice. Knows his stuff.

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2017, 09:10 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

Similar thing with me, Abbey. My line manager has been saying for weeks that she'll come and visit me where I'm currently working but it hasn't happened yet. She emailed me one day last week to say she's coming next week. I'll believe it when she's actually sitting next to me.

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2017, 17:14 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I know this is a pointless thing to moan about, but I do hate it when Easter falls so late. The four day break really helps, and it's a very long wait for it this year!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2017, 20:41 

That's interesting Alison - for me the further it is away from Christmas, the better.

I detest the really early Easters - I have hardly drawn breath after the last festivities!

Top | End

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 531 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 24 Mar 2017, 17:00