Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 18:14

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 348 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Thread of Random Chatter
PostPosted: 11 Jul 2017, 15:12 
Matey awakes!
Matey awakes!

I have a lot of body and facial hair, which is partly due to my hormonal problems, but also genetics, as it seems to run in the family. When I was younger, I had dark hair. Although the hair on my head is now graying, hair elsewhere seems to remain the same colour. (Off topic, but it just occurred to me that many men with beards have darker coloured hair on their chins than on the top of their heads!)

Over the years I've tried waxing, electrolysis, shaving and creams with varying degrees of success. Nothing seems to last for very long.

I have only ever shaved/waxed my legs to the knee, because I never wear shorts or very short skirts. These days, I often don't even bother with that, as the amount of hair seems to have reduced, although it hasn't disappeared elsewhere, unfortunately.

Several years ago, I met a Briish ex-pat lady whilst on holiday in Spain, who had fair hair, but did not seem to bother about shaving or otherwise removing hair from legs, face etc, as it was very noticeable. (I've no idea what others thought, but I would never have mentioned it to her and certainly no one commented on in my presence (whether or not they talked about it amongst themselves.)

I realise it's a matter of personal choice, but her apparent attitude did surprise me a little, given that she lived in Spain, rather than just being a tourist. Personal grooming is considered very important in Spain - hair, make-up, etc.

I wonder whether it is in part a cultural thing? I'm not aware of any Western cultures where bodily hair is considered a thing of beauty (although I'm open to correction on that). Or anywhere else in the world. But there may well be somewhere.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2017, 17:59 
...and being forgiven
...and being forgiven

Cal, you say, "Personal grooming is considered very important in Spain - hair, make-up,etc," and wondered if it was a cultural thing.

Well, my French penfriend was, and still is, at the age of 70, very elegant, but has never shaved her legs or under her arms etc. Not as a teenager and not since, and her daughter and most of her friends are the same.

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2017, 00:55 
Presenting your school report

If one shaves one's legs, does one also shave one's arms? How can you tell if you are frightened if you have no hair on your arms to stand on end??

Seriously though I have never really understood why there is this apparent pressure to be hairless other than on top of the head. Surely if our maker/s had intended us to be so, they would have arranged it thus?

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2017, 01:07 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

Society, patriarchy, not wanting to be reviled and mocked... I finally decided at about 30 that I didn't really care for such things, and since shaving my legs makes them even more painfully itchy than they always are after a shower anyway, I happily gave up on it! Though as I say, it's a much less brave move for me than it would be for people who are more obviously hairy because, unfortunately, people - sorry, people whom people read as female - continue to be mocked and reviled for not removing their entirely natural body hair.

(You see! Endlessly popular topic! :lol: )

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2017, 05:06 
Playing up in prep
Playing up in prep

cestina wrote:
If one shaves one's legs, does one also shave one's arms? How can you tell if you are frightened if you have no hair on your arms to stand on end??

Seriously though I have never really understood why there is this apparent pressure to be hairless other than on top of the head. Surely if our maker/s had intended us to be so, they would have arranged it thus?

Hear, hear! I came to this decision many years ago and that is pretty much the reason I give if anyone comments on it (not that people do as I'm past the age where anyone is likely to be looking closely!)

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2017, 07:30 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I believe that every bit of hair, other than that on the head, had to be removed in Turkish harems. Just in case anyone wanted to know that :lol: .

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2017, 11:25 
Matey awakes!
Matey awakes!

Joanne wrote:
cestina wrote:

Hear, hear! I came to this decision many years ago and that is pretty much the reason I give if anyone comments on it (not that people do as I'm past the age where anyone is likely to be looking closely!)

I have a great deal of fairly dark hair on my arms. But I have never seen the need to remove them. However, I do remove my underarm hair as far as possible, given that the area is lumpy. My theory being (rightly or wrongly) that it reduces the likelihood of BO in the very hot weather we used to have in Spain.

(Apparently my lumpy armpits are a classic, but rarely seen, symptom of my pituitary condition. When I first went to see the consultant in Oxford before they decided to operate, she took one look at them and said there was no doubt about the diagnosis, even though the radiologist who looked at my first MRI scan had said he didn't think there was a tumour - but then he didn't scan my armpits! The consultant in Oxford even asked if one of her female junior doctors could come in to have a look because it was such a classic symptom. Of course I agreed, as I mostly go to teaching hospitals, and I realise that the junior doctors need to learn. In case anyone's concerned, the lumps are not painful or potentially cancerous, they're just inconvenient and unsightly.)

Sorry, that's probably too much information, but I thought I'd better explain the first part of this post. :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2017, 18:01 
Admiring Tom's latest effort
Admiring Tom's latest effort

Speaking of hair cuts, I had mine cut and coloured today. It feels so much more better now! :)
Never had any where else waxed before, is it as painful as people say? My eye brows, lip and chin are immune to it now :)

Top | End

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2017, 22:35 

You get used to it - and it feels much more comfortable afterwards...

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2017, 09:33 
Promising to do better
Promising to do better

I don't shave anything out of a) choice (am of Cestina's opinion) and b) rejection of current patriachal/feminist thought which seems to decree we must all be naked as children underneath, and if we aren't, we are WRONG.

I seem to get less hairy as I get older though.

At least as bad is the current trend for men to remove all body hair too. WHY ?!

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2017, 09:52 
Learning to stand on your own two feet

I think there are people who just enjoy being well shaved. Makes them feel well groomed, they like their limbs (or whatever) feeling smooth, etc. :dontknow:

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2017, 09:58 
Swapping addresses
Swapping addresses

I think The Chippendales (male dance/striptease group) did a lot to popularise the shaved torso for men, as a starter, and I suppose for some it's hard to know where to leave off... those who want to show off a tanned and toned body seem to feel that body hair spoils the effect.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2017, 17:29 
Matey awakes!
Matey awakes!

emma t wrote:
Speaking of hair cuts, I had mine cut and coloured today. It feels so much more better now! :)
Never had any where else waxed before, is it as painful as people say? My eye brows, lip and chin are immune to it now :)

I've had waxing and electrolysis on my chin, though not recently. Of the two, i would say that waxing is slightly less painful (and is over quicker) but the effects don't last as long.

Glad you like your change of hair style and colour. I always feel slightly light-headed immediately after a hair cut, even though I never let it grow very long these days.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2017, 01:56 
Learning to play Lacrosse
Learning to play Lacrosse

Everyone at school seems to shave regularly (my former roommate actually got hers waxed), but I've never bothered. It's not really about feminism (although that's certainly a cause I support), I just never got into the habit, and since I always wear full-length trousers or dark tights, I decided that no-one could see my legs, and no-one can see my armpits in winter, so I never shave my legs and only shave my armpits in summer. Summer also means it's time for my annual haircut... I always feel a kind of sadness with each snip of the scissors, although I've finally accepted that I'll just never be able to sit on it. That said, when Mum stops dragging me I shall stop going.

Everyone's mad but thee and me, and thee's a little mad...

My Blog: A Way with Words - A Note on Developing Style, under yet another alias.

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2017, 09:49 

Sitting on your hair hurts like hell, and even when it doesn't it can be restrictive on head movement. *has done it accidentally too many times*

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2017, 11:45 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've never done that, but I have accidentally put my elbow down on my nipple a couple of times... that's pretty painful too!

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2017, 12:33 
Promising to do better
Promising to do better

Abbey wrote:

I've never done that, but I have accidentally put my elbow down on my nipple a couple of times... that's pretty painful too!

*wipes watering eyes* OUCH

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2017, 17:25 

fraujackson wrote:
Abbey wrote:

*wipes watering eyes* OUCH

Has had same problem! Yes, it does hurt - and difficult turning over in bed sometimes - they have to be moved out of the way.

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2017, 16:40 
Promising to do better
Promising to do better

The things the small chested never imagined happened....

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2017, 22:07 
Dashing off for your part in the play
Dashing off for your part in the play

:D :D :D

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 348 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 18:14