Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 28 May 2018, 08:36

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 436 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Thread of Random Chatter
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2017, 15:06 
A trip to the dentist
A trip to the dentist

Once when I was with friends in central Madrid, one of them (middle-aged male) was leaning against one of the barriers which marked the entrance to a Metro station. It was summer, so he was wearing shorts. A young man approached him and tried to snatch his wallet, which could be seen sticking out of the front pocket.

Ten of of 10 to the young man for audacity and cheek, but I've no idea how he thought he could succeed! :lol:

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2017, 16:10 
Hemming sheets
Hemming sheets

Spare a thought for the dilemna of one of my colleagues. Her son is celebrating his 7th birthday today. Unbeknownst to her, he knew where she had stashed his presents (under the spare room bed). By 6am this morning he had opened all of his birthday presents - but also all of his Christmas presents which had been wrapped and placed in the same place. On the plus side, he announced she was the best mum ever for buying him so many great presents. On the minus side, he still believes in Father Christmas so she is struggling to work out how she can explain that some of the presents were for Christmas (why whould FC deliver them so early before Christmas Eve???) or with the dliemna as to whether she now needs to buy him some additional presents for Christmas...

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2017, 16:19 
Presenting your school report

I reckon he deserves to be undeceived re Father Christmas after that :lol: .

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2017, 16:37 
Jolly good hols...
Jolly good hols...

Oh no! Don't undeceive him - I still remember the huge disappointment I felt when my 'best' friend told me that Father Christmas was really my Daddy. Can she persuade him that Father Christmas will only bring a few more small things in his stocking since he was so fortunate to get such a lot of lovely things for his birthday, and there are lots of other children who haven't just had that?

Mind you I wasn't much better when I was a little younger than your colleague's son. I got out of bed very early on Christmas morning and unwrapped all the presents under the tree, regardless of whose name was on the parcel (possibly I couldn't read), leaving my mother with the nightmare of how to thank the right people for the presents. With hindsight, I'm not sure why she didn't just explain what I'd done instead of risking offending people by thanking them for the wrong gift. Suffice to say that for many years after that, the door of the Living Room was locked on Christmas Eve and only unlocked after breakfast the following day when we were allowed in under supervision!

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2017, 00:27 
Learning to play Lacrosse

I cried when I was undeceived! I was about thirteen and to be honest I was only really telling myself that he was real even though everyone at school had woken up by then!

I feel so grown-up! I've sent off my UCAS application and had two offers already!

Everyone's mad but thee and me, and thee's a little mad...

My Blog: A Way with Words - A Note on Developing Style, under yet another alias.

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2017, 00:55 

Ooh, nice one Josie!

I find it hard to feel sentimental about belief in Father Christmas, possibly because my mum took me to see one when I was about three and I was so terrified that I screamed and screamed and in the end she had to explain to me that it was just a man in a costume and there was No Such Person. And then, you know, swear me to the deadliest secrecy so that I wouldn't undeceive all my friends :lol: :roll: .

ETA: It didn't spoil my childhood joy in christmas in the least! We still left out mince pies and brandy for Father Christmas and a carrot for the reindeer...

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2017, 01:24 
Lamenting the amount of work

Congratulations, Josie - what a great way to round off the year!

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2017, 13:31 
A trip to the dentist
A trip to the dentist

Congratulations Josie.

I can remember my mum being very cross with me when I was about 6, because I told my sister (then 8) that Father Christmas didn't exist and she got really upset.

However, by then we had two younger brothers, so mum insisted that we carry on pretending for their sakes, which we did for several years.

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2017, 09:29 

chattie wrote:
Spare a thought for the dilemna of one of my colleagues. Her son is celebrating his 7th birthday today. Unbeknownst to her, he knew where she had stashed his presents (under the spare room bed). By 6am this morning he had opened all of his birthday presents - but also all of his Christmas presents which had been wrapped and placed in the same place. On the plus side, he announced she was the best mum ever for buying him so many great presents. On the minus side, he still believes in Father Christmas so she is struggling to work out how she can explain that some of the presents were for Christmas (why whould FC deliver them so early before Christmas Eve???) or with the dliemna as to whether she now needs to buy him some additional presents for Christmas...
There probably isn't time now, but just in case - a number of little and inexpensive presents (especially if they can be themed in some way, like in his favourite colour, or beginning with his initial) can be quite exciting to unwrap, especially if enclosed in a container of some kind labelled '(name's) Christmas Box', even if it's just a gift bag or a cardboard box. I do feel her pain - SLOC's birthday is just a fortnight after Christmas, and he isn't that easy to buy presents for. I spend most of the time from mid-November in a state of mild panic about it anyway... what I'd do if I had to start again half way through doesn't bear thinking of!

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2018, 03:30 
Asked to help with the play
Asked to help with the play

Happy New Year everyone, hope you all have a good start to 2018 :popper: :popper: :jester: :santa:

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2018, 14:44 
Saturday Ramble
Saturday Ramble

Happy New Year! :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2018, 13:49 
A trip to the dentist
A trip to the dentist

A little late, but nevertheless, Happy New Year Everyone.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2018, 19:39 

Happy New Year - has anyone made a resolution or, like me, can't be bothered?

Everyone's mad but thee and me, and thee's a little mad...

My Blog: A Way with Words - A Note on Developing Style, under yet another alias.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2018, 19:51 

Nope. I'm determined to remove as many expectations of myself as I possibly can, including not having any expectations.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2018, 20:46 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

Our local radio DJ said his resolution is the same as last year and had been successful; it was NOT to make any resolutions!

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2018, 22:58 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

Someone the Younger wrote:
Happy New Year - has anyone made a resolution or, like me, can't be bothered?

I have two, or really one when it comes down to it:

Be healthier in both mind (because I am a stress head) so look into going some meditation or mindfulness and be healthier in body (i.e stop eating so much junk food, cook at least once a week, watch my portion sizes etc).

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2018, 23:57 
Saturday Ramble
Saturday Ramble

I have one - try and make this year better than last year. It is definitely achievable.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2018, 04:00 
Winning the dolls' house
Winning the dolls' house

Happy New Year everyone and congratulations to Someone The Younger.

I don't usually bother too much with resolutions but trying to be kinder and more positive.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2018, 11:45 
Sale declared Open!
Sale declared Open!

Happy new year!

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2018, 09:28 
Saturday Ramble
Saturday Ramble

This morning, after analysing my own thought processes, I realised that something somebody did recently made me feel like a three year old. Now I feel rather pissed off. Yay.

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 436 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 28 May 2018, 08:36