Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 22 Sep 2021, 21:04

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 546 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Thread of Random Chatter
PostPosted: 14 Jun 2021, 19:01 
Lamenting over the Middles' behaviour

Victoria wrote:
This morning's "bag" included two roe deer (that's a first for me) ... and a squirrel falling out of a tree into the canal with a loud Splat! Squirrels do not seem to be natural-born divers and their swimming style seems to be doggy-paddle (squirrel-paddle?) rather than something more elegant.
Oh, that made me laugh out loud - thank you, Victoria! We have a pond here, and the squirrels constantly run about the tree canopy above it, but no divers so far, thank goodness.

Top | End

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2021, 15:19 

(Sorry to spree, but it's over a week since my previous post)
I think this has to be one of the odder questions I've ever seen on the Internet - the context is that someone had bought an old former stables block in my home town.
"Did you plug up that little hole on the stairs where the mice came in from the cinema? I think I left an old cork in it?"

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2021, 22:10 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

Noreen wrote:
(Sorry to spree, but it's over a week since my previous post)
I think this has to be one of the odder questions I've ever seen on the Internet - the context is that someone had bought an old former stables block in my home town.
"Did you plug up that little hole on the stairs where the mice came in from the cinema? I think I left an old cork in it?"

That does sound weird! When I was at uni, I once decided to write a German prose (regular German language writing exercise, can't remember how much choice you had over your own topic, but I think it was very wide), about some mice that lived in a run-down, old-fashioned flea pit, cinema. The tutor (a native German), maybe would have thought it was a bit too primary school style, for university level. Have probably still got it somewhere. I wonder if such exercises are still always handwritten, or if they can/must be submitted digitally, nowadays.

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2021, 15:30 

I've no idea whether students still do prose/essay writing in other languages, but I'm charmed by the subject of yours, Katharine. In my case, I thought they must be relatives of the Mice on the Mouse Organ in 'Bagpuss'...

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2021, 09:44 
Hemming sheets
Hemming sheets

Has anyone managed to buy a small address book recently that has separate sections for each letter, except possibly xyz?

I need a new one for my passwords. I have terrible luck with passwords and I’m always getting ‘invalid password’ messages even though I have them written down.
Anyway every single book I looked at yesterday in a large Smiths was divided into AB, CD, EF etc.

Any recommendations?

Oh, and I definitely don’t want one with Internet Passwords on the cover.

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2021, 11:54 
Being taken down a peg or two
Being taken down a peg or two

I understand the problem. I have many friends and relatives with B surnames and they have to be crammed together. The books all seem to be AB CD these days but I got a password book from WH Smith with butterflies on the cover so it looks innocent.

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2021, 16:11 
Hemming sheets
Hemming sheets

I couldn’t believe they were selling books with internet passwords emblazoned on the front!

That’s exactly my point. Most of my passwords seem to come under the same 4 or 5 letters.

I’ve looked online and found address books with hardly any space to write anything at all unless you ignore all the printed lines and others that use a little drawing of a fax machine! The ones that have single letters all seem to be huge. And expensive.

I will keep looking.

Top | End

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2021, 21:05 
Matey awakes!
Matey awakes!

Could you just get an ordinary notebook, and label the pages yourself, in the right proportions for each letter? I know it wouldn't have the cut out tabs to take you straight to the right letter, but it wouldn't be any worse than looking something up in a dictionary.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2021, 11:17 
Hemming sheets
Hemming sheets

I could of course.

I’m just a bit outraged at such a retrograde step. I suppose most people these days keep all their addresses in their phone. But I like paper.

I worry that we are expected to do everything on our phones now and that seriously discriminates against anyone who doesn’t have/can’t afford a smart phone.

My not actually that elderly neighbour doesn’t have a smart phone, she doesn’t have want a computer and she finds life increasingly difficult. Both local branches of her bank have closed recently. The next nearest are about 20 minutes away by bus - parking in both locations is very difficult.

I know she gets very fed up with being told she can log on to the website.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2021, 12:06 

Following on from Lottie's suggestion, might a Filofax or similar be an option? Not necessarily cheap, though I'd be looking at other sources like Rymans or WHSmith as well. I have had an address book based on the Filofax system (and still have a book-hunting list) and it worked exceedingly well - you could get the tabbed pages (though they were all paired letters, I'm afraid) and have as many or as few blank pages to each section as you liked. And if you need to make too many alterations, it only means replacing a few pages, not getting a whole new book, or sticking labels over obsolete entries.

Despite being a keen pc and internet user, I still prefer not to have all my eggs in one basket, as it were - and I think it's deplorable, as well as unrealistic, that so much is now only available via electronic methods.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2021, 12:37 
Fifth Form!
Fifth Form!

I keep email addresses on my email accounts and telephone numbers in my (unsmart)'phone but I have them in my address book as well. It's that thing called "back up" which people are urged to do in case you are hacked or lose connectivity. It's very secure too in that you would have to break into my house to steal it - rather more trouble than stealing the information remotely.

Trying to deal with companies online is like dealing with poor quality call centres. You can't find what you want, it doesn't answer any of your questions, it's increasingly difficult to find general information (like "what packages do you have and how much do they cost?") as companies insist on asking for personal information so they can "personalise" what you receive (even though it's exactly the same thing that they give everybody - give me an old fashioned leaflet any day!) and no-one is ever responsible for anything.

As for smartphones...they are expensive, the data packages are expensive, few "apps" are really of any use (their purpose is to tie you into using a single provider of "x" and to allow companies to collect information about you). The best way to avoid losing money in a financial scam is to not carry out financial transactions online in the first place (strange how that never gets mentioned when companies are pretending to keep you "safe and secure"!) The more information you give a company, the more information they can lose (and companies lose information all the time). If you do ring a company, you can pretty much guarantee that they'll have no record of it at a later date (hard to do if you have an exchange of letters).

In the end, it's the same justification as for call centres. It's cheaper than providing a proper service (so more profit for US), you can blame the customer for failing to navigate the system properly (so the problem's nothing to do with US) and WE can pretend that there is massive demand for this kind of service (because people are offered no alternative) and thus justify even further cuts.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2021, 13:29 
Stumped by Lower Four's quiz
Stumped by Lower Four's quiz

How about a ring binder, file dividers and a pad of paper?

Though I agree it really should be possible to buy a basic address book.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Jul 2021, 21:03 
Hemming sheets
Hemming sheets

I do have a Filofax address book, and I suppose I could add in a password section. I just wanted a little password book to travel with (if my two vaccinations will pass the European test). My computer/iPad is used to me being in Switzerland, but oh dear, when we went to Germany: ALL my accounts refused to recognise me.

I have found a little book on ebay. Amazing how changing the wording of your search can help.

(Of course the downside of my iPad knowing I spend a lot of time in Switzerland is that prices on many websites are in CHFs.) On Etsy they are always in $s but that’s another story.
Computers eh?

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2021, 17:55 
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley
Being a disappointment to Miss Annersley

They're easy enough to make yourself, all you'd need is a metal ruler, one of those retractable craft knives and a little patience. The pic is my spiral bound reporter's notebook that I did that way (obviously with the contents blanked out!), although admittedly I took the easy way out and had 3 letters per tab. The first page is just hanging on, but the rest is fine and that's after a good 15 years!

Top | End

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2021, 22:47 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

I would absolutely would not have liked being at the Chalet School! Because of the cold baths, the weird militaristic marching down to breakfast that they do at least in the Swiss books, various other things.

But from looking at the Twitter pages of some modern boarding schools (purely out of interest), watching Youtube videos about them or whatever, I always get the impression that all their facilities, academics, activities, and so on, seem light years ahead of the arguably too often below-quality environment you had at my school, in various ways (they didn't show prospective parents the swimming pool because it was so lousy).

Though it did arguably perhaps have more problematic issues than maybe most other private schools did in the 90s, a lot of other former pupils seem to have
liked it far more than me which I don't get, but each to their own. Looking at some local day schools online (state and private) impresses me as well.

Many boarding schools are a lot more expensive nowadays, especially because they have upgraded their facilities so much. But the main point of this post really, was just to say that I think most of them do sound rather nice for those who are lucky enough
still to be able to afford it.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2021, 11:23 
Donating it to the Childrens' Ward
Donating it to the Childrens' Ward

Grace wrote:
Has anyone managed to buy a small address book recently that has separate sections for each letter, except possibly xyz?

I need a new one for my passwords. I have terrible luck with passwords and I’m always getting ‘invalid password’ messages even though I have them written down.
Anyway every single book I looked at yesterday in a large Smiths was divided into AB, CD, EF etc.

Any recommendations?

Oh, and I definitely don’t want one with Internet Passwords on the cover.

For passwords I finally went with a password manager (LastPass is a good one). Then you only need one very secure password, and the program handles everything else, and will generate secure passwords for you.

Ring the bells that still can ring; Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything; That's how the light gets in
Anthem: Leonard Cohen

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2021, 08:27 
Cooking Disaster!
Cooking Disaster!

I had never kayakers in my life but yesterday my son and I did five and a miles on the Wye?

How was it? Let's just say that I feel today's visit to the Childrens Bookshop has been earned!

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2021, 11:04 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Hope you are rewarded by finding some books you want at a price you can afford!

Top | End

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2021, 13:04 
Fifth Form!
Fifth Form!

After some months of pothering about it, I've taken the plunge and deleted my facebook account.

I've been uncomfortable with facebook's ethics (or rather lack of them) for some time and they have, increasingly, forgotten that, if you want people to use your site, you have to provide content that people want. What I wanted was text posts from my kith and kin which have become harder and harder to find with all the padding and filler (and the "we know better than you do at what you want to look" attitude didn't help). In practice, fb's attitude seem to have discouraged many people from posting at all.

The last major redesign was the last straw as the new layout was hard to read, unpleasant to look at and required yet more work to do the things that used to be easy.

I found I was using the account mainly for chat and the 6 people to whom I talk on a regular basis are all people for whom I have email addresses and telephone numbers. When I tried to think of reasons for keeping facebook, it was hard to think of anything very concrete.

So now you are my only friends...

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2021, 21:36 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

This is a bit of an unusual historical query, but it's been annoying me! When I was a teenager in the 90s, the most popular (at school) and widely available anti-acne facial wash began with a B, but I can't remember what it was actually called?

The only alternative I knew, Clearasil, was a bit harder to find in the shops and not as popular. In order to be different, I used the latter whenever I could get it.

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 546 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 22 Sep 2021, 21:04