Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 20 Sep 2020, 13:10

Post subject: EBD & CS
PostPosted: 09 Jul 2020, 00:53 
Buying your school uniform

I have a couple of questions about EBD & the CS:

- Does anyone know if EBD smoked? A lot of people did, even the teachers of the CS, so I'm just wondering if she did as well

- When was Charles born? I may have missed a part, but the book when I first realised he existed, I'm fairly sure it skipped 5 years from the one before, because Mike was already 5, when before he was still teething.

- Can someone please explain the old British currency. It's so confusing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One more thing:
- How many of you were members of the REAL chalet club, from 1959 to 1969 (i think?).
If you were, could you PLEASEEEE post some pictures of memorabilia - I desperately wish that I could've been a part of that club. (how much would the entry fee of 2s be equivalent now though?)

~THANK YOU~

Top | End

Post subject: Re: EBD & CS
PostPosted: 09 Jul 2020, 02:53 
Dashing off for your part in the play
Dashing off for your part in the play

EBD did smoke - apparently continuously according to Tuttsclump of this board who lived with the Matthewmans during the period that Elinor lived there.

Charles is born in Rosalie.

Old Currency: LSD

L: I pound (£1) = 20 shillings (20s)
S: 1 shilling (1s) = 12 pennies (12d)
D: 1 penny (1d) = 2 halfpennies (½d) or 4 farthings

20s could be written as 20/-, 10s and 6d as 10/6 (you said "ten-and-six"). Sums over £1 would be written as £1-10-6 (one pound, ten and six)

(I have omitted higher paper money as it's not relevant)

£10, £5, £1 and 10s notes (10 bob note)

Coinage:
5s - crown
2s and 6d (2/6) -half-a-crown
2s - florin
1s - "bob" (definitely a slang term)
6d - sixpence, "tanner" (slang)
3d - threepenny bit (pronounced thruppence)
1d - penny
½d - halfpenny (often spelt ha'penny, pronounced "haypenny")

The guinea no longer existed by this time but was still used in pricing and for professional fees. It was one pound and one shilling (21s)

2s = 10p
10s -50p

The inflation between 1970 and now gives 2s (10p) as about £15. However, it might be more meaningful to consider that 2s as the percentage of a cost of a new book. My hb copy of "Prefects" cost 50p/10s so the club membership might be considered to be the equivalent of 1/5th of the cost of a hardback book.

Never a member myself so can't help you further!

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2020, 03:24 

:shock: my gosh,
Thank goodness I wasn't there at the time, i would never be able to wrap my head around the equivalents etc.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2020, 08:29 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Charles is born in Rosalie ... but it's all a bit confusing because Tom, Rosalie and Mystery were short stories published belatedly!

The books originally jumped from Rescue to Three Go, and both Charles and Mike were born in the gap between them. There was a feeling at the time that readers wanted to move on from the war and didn't want books set in wartime, and I suspect that that was why EBD jumped a few years.

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2020, 08:33 
Castor Oil!
Castor Oil!

1/4d - farthing -this was abolished in the 1950s

My hardback copy of Wrong CS cost 6/- in 1964 - it was a Sunday School prize

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2020, 09:14 
Ricking your ankle
Ricking your ankle

Black Jacks and Fruit Salad sweets were a farthing each when I first bought them.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2020, 13:38 
Dommy Sci lesson
Dommy Sci lesson

I was a member of the club but don't have anything to share. However you can buy the collected newsletters from GGBP:
https://www.ggbp.co.uk/product/chalet-c ... rent-dyer/

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2020, 14:46 
Hemming sheets
Hemming sheets

Hi, I too was a member of the original club. I paid the membership fee out of my pocket money. I always bought the new hard-backed books (from 1955 onwards) but had to save from my pocket money for about a month.
The club sent me a small edelweiss badge and a small membership card. Every so often I received a newsletter in the post.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2020, 18:02 
Ricking your ankle
Ricking your ankle

I used to buy savings stamps and stick them on a card which I then sent to Chambers to get a shiny new CS HB. It was a great thrill. I was a member of the club but not sure whether the savings stamp thing was organised by the club or Chambers.

Top | End

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2020, 23:53 
Indulging in a midnight feast

Angle wrote:
:shock: my gosh,
Thank goodness I wasn't there at the time, i would never be able to wrap my head around the equivalents etc.

It was just what we grew up with, you'd be surprised how straightforward we found it. I can remember we couldn't understand why it caused foreigners who were used to a decimal system so many problems!

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2020, 02:14 

I have an friend who lived in America while the rest of her school was learning the metric system. Apparently, Americans find the metric system confusing, asking question like, "How many centimetres in a metre?". C'mon Americans, it's just factors of 10.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2020, 08:16 
Giving a Junior an order mark

Helps to know other languages, too :D ...

It didn't stop at getting your head round the various parts of the system, of course. You had to be able to apply the money to the other measurements, especially if you worked in a shop (and often no cash registers to work things out). I remember arithmetic books at primary school that would prepare you for this eventuality by asking questions like "What is the cost of six and three quarter yards of elastic at fourpence three-farthings per yard?", though my biggest dislike was percentages of pounds shillings and pence - you had to turn the amount of pounds, shillings and pence into its total of pennies, do the calculation and then turn it back into pounds, shillings and pence.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2020, 15:16 
Discovering ink blots in your Latin prep
Discovering ink blots in your Latin prep

I think the biggest loss when we went metric was the back of the shiny red exercise books with rods poles perches chains gills and all the rest, I spent hours reading those! Anyone else remember them?

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2020, 16:59 

With great clarity, as I had one in my last couple of years at primary school, where my final form master made us copy out four pages worth of that stuff and chant the whole thing every morning :D.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2020, 17:10 

LucyP wrote:
I think the biggest loss when we went metric was the back of the shiny red exercise books with rods poles perches chains gills and all the rest, I spent hours reading those! Anyone else remember them?

We still had them in the 1980s!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2020, 17:20 

I remember doing calculations about buying a gross or half a gross of something at a few pence an item. It was nice and simple in that a gross was 144 (12 x 12) and there were 12 pence in a shilling.

One of my jobs was investigating the work records of people employed prior to our current insurance system which began in 1948 to see if their old insurance could be carried across to the new scheme. I do remember in one instance trying to remember how you divided one sum of money by another and running into all sorts of problems before I finally remembered. (As someone who's always been fascinated by the Home Front, it remains one of my favourite jobs.)

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2020, 22:32 
Discovering that JMB lives next door
Discovering that JMB lives next door

Alison H wrote:
LucyP wrote:

We still had them in the 1980s!

I had forgotten all about them but, yes, I remember being fascinated by them too.

Not so long ago, I was in a shop when there was a power cut. The cashier was trying to calculate bills. She was amazed when I reeled off 4 items at £3.99 came to £15.96. She looked even more gobsmacked when I said 4 x 4 - 4! I got the impression that she thought I was a mathematical genius which is very far from the truth!

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2020, 03:00 
Order Mark!
Order Mark!

I grew up using the metric system, but when I studied engineering at university, we had to be able to convert between imperial measurements and metric on a regular basis. That was because the USA never converted to metric, and a lot of literature and equipment came from there.

E.g. convert British thermal unit per hour square foot degree Fahrenheit [BTU/(h*ft2*°F)] to Watts per square metre Kelvin [W/(m2*K)]. :shock:

It's much easier than it looks. For each unit of measurement, have one unit on the top and the other on the bottom of the divisor. E.g. to convert 15ft2 to metric, multiply by (1 m2/10.7639 ft2). (This is actually equal to one, as 1 m2 = 10.7639 ft2.) The (ft2) cancel out, leaving m2 as the unit of measurement.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2020, 09:07 
Ricking your ankle
Ricking your ankle

LucyP wrote:

We had to recite those by heart at one very old fashioned primary school.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2020, 09:10 
Ricking your ankle
Ricking your ankle

LucyP wrote:

We had to recite those by heart at one very old fashioned primary school.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 20 Sep 2020, 13:10