Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 28 Mar 2017, 18:50

Post subject: Job Centre Closures
PostPosted: 26 Jan 2017, 18:30 
A trip to the dentist
A trip to the dentist

Even though I am currently seeking employment, I was mildly amused to read online that 1 in 10 Job Centres is due to close because of lack of use. It seems ironic, but presumably it's because most people apply for jobs online these days. (Which, incidentally, one is actively encouraged to do.)

I just hope it won't affect my local JCP, as I don't want to have to travel further to sign on. (Unless they're changing that system as well.)

Top | End

Post subject: Re: Job Centre Closures
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2017, 18:02 
Finding out about the Sale
Finding out about the Sale

What made me snort was the Minister saying it is because people are claiming benefits online. Could that be because they are told that they have to claim that way? People are certainly being told (and have for some time) that they have to make initial contact through talking to a call centre or online even when this is inappropriate or difficult for them.

And if there is spare time and staffing with the JobCentre Plus, then it seems to me that it could be used usefully to provide training to staff in something other than box-ticking and target-meeting (dealing with people with mental health problems, for example) and to provide proper support to claimants (like explaining the forms and the rules) instead of shunting claimants off to voluntary bodies like the CAB.

Top | End

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 28 Mar 2017, 18:50