Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 04:23

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 610 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: All-new happiness thread
PostPosted: 10 Jun 2018, 08:37 
Indulging in a midnight feast

To share some happiness, I managed to get a couple of cheap things (and some very not-so-cheap essential things - oh Switzerland!) for my studio yesterday, which is making me feel more settled. And for the pleasure of the small things, I live next to a church and the choir this morning sounds beautiful!

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2018, 09:26 
Attending a prees' meeting

Great to hear, roversgirl! I'm a great believer in the pleasures of small things - I think that for much of the time they're more satisfying than the big ones.

In other quarters (Facebook), how's this for a masterly put-down? 'A' posted on a page which is about old views of my home town:
"i lived there for 4 yrs thank god ive escaped , it is very run down lack of investment and , sorry to say this , but lack of intelligence in the local population is very evident ."
I toyed with saying something like "But at least their manners are better than yours" or even "Well, how intelligent do you think that makes you sound?", but was saved the effort by D tagging A by name with the reply "Yes we're in the midst of a programme of expelling the least intelligent sections of the community out of [the town], mainly to areas like [the one A lives in]...

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2018, 09:48 
Learning to play Lacrosse

Noreen wrote:
Great to hear, roversgirl! I'm a great believer in the pleasures of small things - I think that for much of the time they're more satisfying than the big ones.

In other quarters (Facebook), how's this for a masterly put-down? 'A' posted on a page which is about old views of my home town:
"i lived there for 4 yrs thank god ive escaped , it is very run down lack of investment and , sorry to say this , but lack of intelligence in the local population is very evident ."
I toyed with saying something like "But at least their manners are better than yours" or even "Well, how intelligent do you think that makes you sound?", but was saved the effort by D tagging A by name with the reply "Yes we're in the midst of a programme of expelling the least intelligent sections of the community out of [the town], mainly to areas like [the one A lives in]...

It seems that no one has a good thing to say about my hometown on the local FB pages either but the picturesque pictures they all drool over as the good old days show just how grey and poverty stricken those areas actually were.

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2018, 11:21 

janetbrown23 wrote:
It seems that no one has a good thing to say about my hometown on the local FB pages either but the picturesque pictures they all drool over as the good old days show just how grey and poverty stricken those areas actually were.
Quite. I think it's probably the same for most places, Jan - the rose-tinted spectacles are pretty hard to dislodge! The irony is that people on my home-town's pages occasionally say how lovely our nearest city is by comparison, but I belong to two pages about that, too, and guess what? They're full of people saying that that place has gone to pot, the good shops have gone, too many of the old bits have been pulled down, how lovely it looked in the olden days...

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2018, 17:48 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

I don't think it's ever been any different! It's like when people reminisce about the golden Edwardian age - yes, when the vast majority of people were living in poverty! And the good old 1950s, when you could leave your back door open ... to let all the smog in! In 50 years' time, people will be saying how much better life was in the 2010s ... :lol: .

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2018, 07:35 
Scolding a Middle for slang
Scolding a Middle for slang

Alison H wrote:
I don't think it's ever been any different! It's like when people reminisce about the golden Edwardian age - yes, when the vast majority of people were living in poverty! And the good old 1950s, when you could leave your back door open ... to let all the smog in! In 50 years' time, people will be saying how much better life was in the 2010s ... :lol: .

I always said I would never do this, but often I realise that I sound increasingly like my mum when looking back to 'the good old days' and comparing the young of today to my own youth. A sign of getting older, no doubt, but I also suspect that it has always been so in every generation.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2018, 10:03 

I used to laugh at my dad when he moaned that the music my sister and I listened to in our teens was rubbish, not like '60s music. Now I find myself muttering that they don't make decent music any more, not like they did in the '80s :lol: .

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2018, 10:23 

cal562301 wrote:
Alison H wrote:

I always said I would never do this, but often I realise that I sound increasingly like my mum when looking back to 'the good old days' and comparing the young of today to my own youth. A sign of getting older, no doubt, but I also suspect that it has always been so in every generation.

I think it has. When I was growing up older people always seemed to be banging on about how polite and well-behaved they were as kids in the 1950s, not little gobs****s like we apparently were. Yet my dad, who was born in the 1920s, so an adult by the 50s always told me that kids in the 1950s were rude and out of control and had no respect, especially in comparison to how children behaved in the 1920s.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2018, 19:51 
Donating it to the Childrens' Ward

Roversgirl, that sounds lovely!

I had a lovely Saturday evening out with my cousin :) we had an Italian meal, then went to a few pubs.

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2018, 20:51 
Getting all your textbooks for lessons

A week in Rome included a beautiful evening of opera in St Agnes church on the piazza Navona...but what made my day? A statue no less of the stoning of St Agnes friend...St Emerenzia...yes the saint Emerence was named for. I even bought a postcard of her!

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2018, 15:55 

That's just getting your priorities straight, NanaG! :-)

I've just been amused by an anecdote on my former school's FB page, from a former member of staff:
"Mr F [one of the senior masters] seeing a young girl riding a bike right up to the school door, was duly incensed, but chose not to invoke the school rule about not riding a bike on school premises, but the one about girls [always] wearing a hat. But the ‘girl’ concerned answered back: ‘Those rules don’t apply to me.’ F was incandescent, and said ‘Why not?’ The ‘girl’ answered ‘Because I’m the senior German mistress!’ ...

Top | End

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2018, 16:22 
Declaring it to have been the best term
Declaring it to have been the best term

Noreen wrote:

I've just been amused by an anecdote on my former school's FB page, from a former member of staff:
"Mr F [one of the senior masters] seeing a young girl riding a bike right up to the school door, was duly incensed, but chose not to invoke the school rule about not riding a bike on school premises, but the one about girls [always] wearing a hat. But the ‘girl’ concerned answered back: ‘Those rules don’t apply to me.’ F was incandescent, and said ‘Why not?’ The ‘girl’ answered ‘Because I’m the senior German mistress!’ ...

Brilliant

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2018, 06:33 

Love this. This also happened to me when a language assistant in a middle school in France. I was given instructions to do something and replied, "But I'm the assistant..."

Top | End

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2018, 12:49 

Brilliant, roversgirl!

In the case of my post, I should add that Miss W was small and slight, and looked young for her age (29/30) - she was probably also wearing a blue mac, or the silly old fossil would surely have realised that she wasn't wearing uniform at all. Shows how out of touch he was, though... perhaps he was one of the people (we did have one or two) who disapproved of co-ed grammar schools. This is not to be confused with my favourite History master who always proclaimed that he was a misogynist when in reality he was highly susceptible!

Top | End

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2018, 18:22 

Had a lovely weekend with my best friend :) walking on the Saturday and then dinner out and around town with our other friend in the evening. Realised today it's a week today that I'll be in Dublin seeing Whitequeen :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2018, 15:03 

I don't think we've got any Panamanians on here, so I shouldn't be offending anyone :lol: - light country wine for all England fans?

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2018, 18:34 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

Happy times. Though I do feel slightly sorry for my colleague, we agreed that I'd take my break during the first half and he got the second.

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2018, 18:59 
Having a say in the Sale theme
Having a say in the Sale theme

s long as you don't dilute it with water from a river or stream, Alison.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Jul 2018, 20:09 

I came back from a lovely week with Whitequeen in Dublin yesterday :) we had a very nice day at her wedding renewals on Saturday. Loved being able to wear summer clothes too, as so used to packing for rain when I go there!

Top | End

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2018, 19:42 
Reserving an embroidered picture
Reserving an embroidered picture

I'm as chuffed as a very chuffed thing! Just signed the contract for Book No9 which is to be called The Convalescent Corpse. :D
It's been ongoing for three years or so and I once asked CBBers for suggestions about books written during WW1 - the response was instant and generous, of course! And very helpful.
This is officially a very cosy historical mystery, set in 1918 and the strapline is: A story of family, rationing, and inconvenient corpses. However, I pitched it to the publisher just as a cosy mystery because I'm pretty certain they've never heard of GO anyway. I mentioned that beta readers have likened it to I Capture the Castle, and the best comment of all: As though the March sisters took up detecting!
Did the trick - ebook around Christmas/New Year, paperback shortly after.

This is a sneak preview of the blurb, because the book has lots of GO tropes although, as I said, it's masquerading as a perfecly 'normal' mystery! It’s 1918 and the War has brought loss, grief and rationing to the three Fyttleton sisters. Helped by their grandmother (a failed society belle and expert poacher) and hindered by a difficult mother (an author and armchair suffragette) – plus an unruly chicken-stealing dog and a house full of paying-guests – they now have to deal with the worrying news that their late and unlamented father may not be dead after all. There’s also a death that might be suspicious, and on top of that there’s the body in the ha-ha…

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 610 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 04:23