Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 23 Jun 2017, 13:03

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: All-new happiness thread
PostPosted: 15 Feb 2017, 22:10 
Sale declared Open!
Sale declared Open!

Yay for all the happiness! I have signed up for my first charity run! It'll be about a year after the doctors thought I'd not walk normally again so I expect to jog round at the slowest pace but the goal is to finish.

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2017, 02:17 
Attending the Fifth Form Evening
Attending the Fifth Form Evening

Well done Roversgirl!

I'm thrilled to bits because I've picked up my cheapest flights ever for my spring trip to Germany. They're even for my preferred times. KLM seem to be having a brainstorm and have brought their prices right down. Two friends have also taken advantage of the deals and will be visiting, which I'm also really looking forward to.

If I get the lovely pilot with the twinkly eyes on at least one of the flights my cup will be full. When we were delayed at Newcastle at New Year, he came down the plane chatting to the passengers. When I showed some concern about the possibility of missing my connecting flight (I didn't, but it was a full on sprint to get to it), I got the full, devastating force of the twinkling eyes as he replied. At that point, if he'd suggested parachuting me out of the plane in order to catch it I'd probably have agreed!

(Is anyone else a sucker for a pair of expressive eyes or is it just me?)

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2017, 10:25 
Attending a prees' meeting

Oh yes, Annied, the eyes have it, to misquote. My form master when I was eleven/ twelve had eyes like that but a very cool and elegant demeanour otherwise, so I had a mega crush on him...

Congratulations, roversgirl - wishing you a perfect day for it!

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2017, 15:25 
Rescuing a Junior from the lake

Further to the tale of the bin, my new BFF, the "waste management" man, got someone to make a special trip to my house to empty the bin properly, which I really wasn't expecting. I feel vaguely guilty about this, but it has cheered me up immensely to know that someone actually cares about providing a decent service :lol:. Amazing how much better you feel just for someone being nice to you about a bin!

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2017, 15:56 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

It's nice to see all the happinesses! No one has owned up to sending me the buddy box! I'd love to know who it was so that I could thank them, but regardless it was a lovely thought and brought a warmth to my heart (that sounds soppy, but you know what I mean!).

Top | End

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2017, 16:29 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

Relating to what's happening to me at work at the moment I don't quite know how to feel about this - two positions I applied for, was interviewed for and was turned down are being readvertised, they have not found anyone to fill the posts yet. I don't know whether to be happy or sad for them. I checked the job description for one of them and still think I could have done the majority of what they're asking for with training to cover the rest.

:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2017, 00:09 
Saturday Ramble
Saturday Ramble

tartan-belle wrote:
How wonderful Chattie for your family and especially your daughter. I hope she finds/has found a nice school.

Hope you treat yourself with something nice, alicat!

I have a ticket to see the Andy Murray-Roger Federer tennis charity match in November. As tickets sold out pretty quickly, I feel quite chuffed.

Also pleased at Chattie and Alicat's news.

I am so, so envious of anybody being able to see Roger Federer in the flesh. Sorry, Andy. Like you too but not nearly as much as I do Federer.

Looking forward to hearing if they come across in reality the same as they do on the TV.

I had a good time at my tai chi class tonight. Just started it a few months ago. Not good at it but enjoy it and love the people that go.

Going to join local floral art club too after going to marvellous demonstration on Tuesday night and seeing several people I know there. Have to force myself to go out at times .

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2017, 17:10 
Still bored
Still bored

Liz K wrote:
Relating to what's happening to me at work at the moment I don't quite know how to feel about this - two positions I applied for, was interviewed for and was turned down are being readvertised, they have not found anyone to fill the posts yet. I don't know whether to be happy or sad for them. I checked the job description for one of them and still think I could have done the majority of what they're asking for with training to cover the rest.

Doesn't seem to make much sense, does it, Liz? Apart from giving you a massive inferiority complex! :dontknow: But don't feel that, because everyone they've interviewed is clearly in the same boat. Perhaps they're looking for perfection! If so they'll wait a long time, seeing as it doesn't exist!

(((Liz)))

Top | End

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2017, 17:22 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

MaryR wrote:
Liz K wrote:

Doesn't seem to make much sense, does it, Liz? Apart from giving you a massive inferiority complex! :dontknow: But don't feel that, because everyone they've interviewed is clearly in the same boat. Perhaps they're looking for perfection! If so they'll wait a long time, seeing as it doesn't exist!

(((Liz)))

Thank you for that MaryR, especially as one post must have been advertised for near a year or more!!!!

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2017, 15:57 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

Doris seems to have safely passed by without too much damage locally. We have a giant cedar tree just feet away from the house which gives us conniptions every time there is a storm - if it falls one way it's on our roof, the opposite direction the roofs of the new houses opposite. To the left our garage, full of stuff, and to the right my car. But so far so good...

The daffodils got a little bent but I have just been out in the sunshine doing some tidying up and moving of pots and spring is truly here - even the fuchsias are sending out tiny shoots.

If you would like to celebrate the coming of spring by some joyful singing there is a day of Singing in the Spring in Cuffley, close to the M25 and London, on 11th March - open to all, especially those who have always been told they cannot sing. Lots of us around! For more details pm me. It would be lovely to have a mini-CBB gathering!

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2017, 16:14 
Having a say in the Sale theme

Doris didn't do any real damage to us, apart from tearing a boat from its mooring and wedging it under the Chinese Bridge ( a cause of much complaint from people who obviously expected all Town Councillors to turn out and haul the boat back to where it belonged in the face of gale-force winds.

Mind you, Doris, clearly named after my least-favourite aunt-by-marriage almost blew me off my feet several times yesterday.

But Today, great happiness. My six-monthly appointment at the Woodlands Centre, I saw the oncologist, gave my blood samples for the Royal Marsden National initiative for curing cancer, and have been sent away for another six months.

So far, so clear!

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2017, 16:15 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

That's great news Jennie!

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2017, 17:13 

That's excellent news, Jennie :D .

Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.

http://setinthepast.wordpress.com/

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2017, 17:26 

Lovely news, Jennie - thanks for the update!

Top | End

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2017, 20:54 
Sub-prefect!
Sub-prefect!

That's good to hear, Jennie!

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2017, 10:30 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

Wonderful news, Jennie.

:trumpet: :trumpet: :trumpet: :trumpet: :trumpet: :trumpet: :trumpet: :trumpet: :trumpet: :trumpet: :trumpet: :trumpet: :trumpet: :trumpet: :trumpet: :trumpet: :trumpet:

Top | End

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2017, 12:02 
Putting up a good show
Putting up a good show

Not too much damage here from Doris either, though I think they had problems on some roads and I have heard of several trees being uprooted. Our local paper comes out on a Thursday, so they just missed the storm. No doubt next week's edition will be full of photos.

I had a problem with closing my gate, which is a very heavy wooden one. It was already slightly ajar and the storm had pushed it back even further. Fortunately, it then came into contact with a solid patch of garden, so it stuck. (I tried to move it, but it was far too heavy for me.

The drawback is that it opens onto my back garden, where I have french windows and because the fence is high - 9 or 10 feet I should think - I don't have net curtains at the window. There is also a path running down the side of the house, leading to some more houses.

Late yesterday afternoon, I was sitting in the lounge and I noticed a couple of people staring at me through the gate as they walked past. (I suppose I can't blame them, as I tend to at least glance through windows I pass, if they don't have nets.) But it made me rather uncomfortable. It was twilight by then, so I closed the curtains and switched on the light.

I thought I was going to have to get a friend to come and have a look at the gate to see if they could close it. However, this morning, when I got up, I saw that the gate was back in its normal position.

I have no idea whether it was a kind neighbour who did this, or whether it was the wind, but I think the former is more likely. However it happened, I'm very grateful, as it's solved a potential headache for me.

Edited once for clarity

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2017, 09:42 
Rescued by doctors
Rescued by doctors

Hooray, it's Pay Day!

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2017, 12:07 
Saying you only know three German words

Hooray, it's Pancake Day!

Top | End

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2017, 16:42 

Yes it is. So yesterday I left a message for Andrew, asking him if he wanted pancakes this evening. I get over here today. Is there an answer? No, of course not.

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 23 Jun 2017, 13:03