Login   Register     FAQ    Members

View unanswered posts   View active topics

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 15:31

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: All-new happiness thread
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2017, 11:42 
Taking the train home
Taking the train home

Well done for working it out Cal! There's always something... :lol:

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2017, 10:54 
Matey awakes!
Matey awakes!

cal562301 wrote:
One thing I forgot to say was that when I did get into the tablet, the screen didn't appear in English, but in a foreign language. I recognised it as Eastern European (though Roman script) and I think it might have been Czech, as some of the 's' and 'z' had those little markers over them. Of course the buttons were in the same language, so it took me several minutes to work out how I could change the language to British English.

However, I was so happy to have the tablet, that it just made me laugh! :lol:

In case Cestina reads this, I'd better correct myself. In Czech, it's usually s and c (not z) which have the markers over them. That is of course what I meant to write. :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2017, 11:29 
Presenting your school report

cal562301 wrote:
In case Cestina reads this, I'd better correct myself. In Czech, it's usually s and c (not z) which have the markers over them. That is of course what I meant to write. :D

Well actually no Cal :)

There is the very famous ř which gives rise to many tongue twisters - try třistatřicet tři stříbrných stříkaček stříkalo přes třistatřicet tři stříbrných střech for size (I can do it :D ) - and the haček, or ´little hook´ as it is known, also appears on ě,š,č,ž. The same sound, a softening, is also available on ď and ť but because there is no space to put it above, you use an accent.

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2017, 12:02 
Matey awakes!
Matey awakes!

Thanks for the clarification, Cestina. I did a little Czech at Uni about 40 years ago, so my memory was a bit hazy. By what you've written, my tablet was undoubtedly trying to communicate with me in Czech; I'd actually doubted it slightly, because I didn't realise so many letters could have the 'little hook'. Interesting that it indicates a soft sign, as they have one of those in Russian/Cyrillic alphabet too, though it's mostly found at the end of words, not at the beginning or in the middle - the following vowel changes in those locations, rather than the consonant. And it disappears completely in inflexions, when tense or case endings are added.

In a few words, you get a hard sign, too, but that's not so common; I think it's in older words and its usage may be dying out.

(Apologies to anyone who's not as fascinated by languages as I am!)

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2017, 14:06 
Arguing from cause to effect

I am too, cal, so I don't mind. No experience of Czech though.

Quote:
There is the very famous ř which gives rise to many tongue twisters - try třistatřicet tři stříbrných stříkaček stříkalo přes třistatřicet tři stříbrných střech for size (I can do it :D ) - and the haček, or ´little hook´ as it is known, also appears on ě,š,č,ž. The same sound, a softening, is also available on ď and ť but because there is no space to put it above, you use an accent.

Cestina: how is the famous r with a little hook pronounced? I'd like to attempt the tongue twister (when I have time - I shouldn't be commenting now but packing as I'm on my travels again tomorrow.)

Top | End

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2017, 15:51 

thefrau46 wrote:

Cestina: how is the famous r with a little hook pronounced? I'd like to attempt the tongue twister (when I have time - I shouldn't be commenting now but packing as I'm on my travels again tomorrow.)

I am totally fascinated by languages and find that the older I get, the easier it is to deal with foreign ones (the ones in Europe anyway) because I can make connections across borders I was incapable of when younger.

Frau46 - this is one of the best explanations of how to achieve the ř that I have come across - bizarrely done by an English expat living in Prague, rather than a native Czech speaker. And you also have a link to the spoken tongue twister above. Good luck :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2017, 09:17 

Quote:
Frau46 - this is one of the best explanations of how to achieve the ř that I have come across - bizarrely done by an English expat living in Prague, rather than a native Czech speaker. And you also have a link to the spoken tongue twister above. Good luck :D

I'd missed the fact that there was a link to the tongue twister. Thanks, Cestina.

Since this is the happiness thread, I'll just add that I'm off to Belgium today to stay with my daugher's parents-in-law and then on with our mutual grandchildren to Conakry (Guinea) and my daughter. Have I packed everything? :dontknow: I hope so!

The sun is shining here too. Have a nice day, everyone.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2017, 12:54 
Matey awakes!
Matey awakes!

cestina wrote:
thefrau46 wrote:

I am totally fascinated by languages and find that the older I get, the easier it is to deal with foreign ones (the ones in Europe anyway) because I can make connections across borders I was incapable of when younger.

I agree with you, Cestina about making links across languages. When I studied Euskera (Basque) a few years ago, I found that of all the languages I'd previously studied (European), the one that helped me the most was Russian. Not so much the vocabulary, which is very different, as the structure and the way it worked. In my mind it really helped, which is interesting as Euskera is one of those 'stand-alone' languages, whose origins are buried deep in the mists of antiquity. Perhaps Czech would help you learn Euskera, if you ever felt the urge?

Have a lovely time on your travels, frau46 and keep safe. I have friends who work in Guinea Conakry, but it's certainly not a country which is often visited by people from the UK.

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2017, 13:11 

Thanks, cal. Conakry is loud, chaotic and full of traffic jams but one of my best memories from my visit in January is upcountry and swimming near the top of a spectacular waterfall. No, not many uk visitors but some French speaking ones.
I get to practise my other CS language, French, too!

Admiration to anyone who attempts Euskera. Hats off to you!

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2017, 16:59 

Hmm, I have just taken a look at Euskera Cal - I think I will stick with Czech with its seven cases! They cause me enough trouble, I don't fancy tackling a language with nine of them! :D

I have a great book: Concise Compendium of the World's Languages by George L. Campbell. One of the best things in it is that at the end of each language description you can find the same bit of the Bible in the relevant language, John Ch.1 vv 1-8. It is fascinating to compare them and try to work out which words are which.

At a guess Itza means word in Euskera and Yain+syllables means God?

For those as fascinated as I am, the book is still available for reasonable prices on Amazon and elsewhere....

Enjoy your travels Frau46, may there be no airport delays!

Top | End

PostPosted: 02 Sep 2017, 18:04 

I'll look for the book when I get back. Cestina. Thanks for the suggestion.

As for airport delays, I'll be happy if they aren't of the terrorist kind - We're leaving from Brussels airport.

Top | End

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2017, 21:35 
Admiring Tom's latest effort
Admiring Tom's latest effort

I've finished work for eleven whole days. Dublin in the morning then Italy on Tuesday with Whitequeen :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2017, 12:12 

Enjoy Italy, emma and whitequeen. May the sun shine and there be no rain.

I'm happy to report that although the plane took off 55 minutes late (no terrorists) we arrived more or less on time. The sun isn't shining but the torrential rain has stopped! It's the rainy season after all.

Top | End

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2017, 14:54 
Matey awakes!
Matey awakes!

cestina wrote:
Hmm, I have just taken a look at Euskera Cal - I think I will stick with Czech with its seven cases! They cause me enough trouble, I don't fancy tackling a language with nine of them! :D

I have a great book: Concise Compendium of the World's Languages by George L. Campbell. One of the best things in it is that at the end of each language description you can find the same bit of the Bible in the relevant language, John Ch.1 vv 1-8. It is fascinating to compare them and try to work out which words are which.

At a guess Itza means word in Euskera and Yain+syllables means God?

For those as fascinated as I am, the book is still available for reasonable prices on Amazon and elsewhere....

Enjoy your travels Frau46, may there be no airport delays!

Euskera has plenty of 'fun' challenges for the linguist, in addition to its 9 cases! I was in my 40s when I studied it for 2 years and felt I was only just scratching the surface - I was fluent in Spanish well within 2 years. I wish I'd had the opportunity to study Euskera when I was younger, as I think it would have been slightly easier (though probably not much).

Just double checked my memory and Jainko is the basic root word for God, so you were more or less right. Yain may be a variant spelling - there are at least 7 dialects within Euskera, and I remember being told that some of them are so different that they could almost be regarded as distinct languages. There is however (since the 1990s only) now a standardised Euskera, which is the language of media and education. It's based on the dialect spoken in Guipuzkoa (around San Sebastian), as that's the region with the most native speakers.

Itza is 'word', yes. I remember that one.

Will have to try and get hold of that book.

Edited once to correct punctuation

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2017, 15:52 
Lending an ear to a Middle's problems
Lending an ear to a Middle's problems

Yesterday I went to the Piccadilly Theatre in the West End of London along with my Mum to watch Annie with Miranda Hart as Miss Hanigan. It was an early birthday present from my parents. Absolutely loved the show and would recommend it to anyone. A real feel good play. :D

Top | End

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2017, 23:17 
Playing up in prep
Playing up in prep

That sounds great, Lesley, wish I could see it.
In the last week, however, I have seen Matilda (which was marvelous), The Imperial Russian Ballet Company, and some great films at the film festival. I'm having a beautifully cultured time at the moment!

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017, 11:36 
Climbing with your knees bent
Climbing with your knees bent

No more work for me til next Tuesday. Mum and I are off to Finland

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017, 14:51 

I hope you won't experience too much turbulence because of Aileen (UK)/Sebastian (Germany)/whatever the Finns are calling it.

I'm happy because I've arrived safely from Conakry and am looking forward to leaving for the Med (France) on Friday.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017, 15:14 
...and being forgiven
...and being forgiven

thefrau46 wrote:
I'm happy because I've arrived safely from Conakry and am looking forward to leaving for the Med (France) on Friday.

Lucky you, frau46, and do have a super time. :wink: We've had to cancel our holiday there in Nice - should have gone last Wed - due to my continuing, relentless nerve pain in back and leg. The good news is that the holiday insurance we've claimed back is now paying for a private neurosurgeon, after nearly six months of being messed around by the NHS, including my own GP. Now on morphine and a nerve block, and have had two MRI scans, yet only met the man 10 days ago. Fingers crossed!

Last edited by MaryR on 13 Sep 2017, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.

Top | End

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017, 15:30 

I'm keeping them crossed for you too, MaryR.

Top | End

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 327 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Board index .:|:. Sharing the Hanes :: Community .:|:. The Rose Garden
It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 15:31